Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2019, 11:14 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,002,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
The officer was told to go there, once there he had no idea what was going on inside.. what you are saying goes into department policy on these wellness checks.. what happens if that lady was being held hostage in there and the police department didn't send anyone because they didn't want to trespass???
Correct, he had no idea what was going on inside the house, why? 1) He failed to do the basic thing in a welfare check, he didn't knock on the door, he didn't announce himself through the opened door as a FWPD officer. Had he done these two basic steps he most likely would have found out what was going on inside the house and all would have been good.

Instead he chose to enter the property unannounced, that's a huge no-no, it's a good way to get yourself killed or in his case, kill the homeowner.

Had this office followed BASIC protocol most likely the outcome of this would have been benign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 11:15 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
It just strengthens the pro 2nd amendment argument against antis who argue only police should have firearms.
She did have a legal firearm, and it neither helped nor hurt her. The fact that she obviously owned a video game also neither helped her nor hurt her. She's dead. Of being shot. During a welfare check. By a cop.

So I don't see how this strengthens the argument "...against antis who argue only police should have firearms."

This cop was clearly not deterred by the thought that someone in the house might have a gun. If anything, thinking someone in the house might have a gun caused him to put himself in a position where he could see her a LOT better than she could see him so he could get the drop on her.

Last edited by jacqueg; 10-15-2019 at 11:43 AM..

Old 10-15-2019, 11:18 AM

8,245 posts, read 3,495,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You’re under no obligation to answer the door if it’s a cop, you can ignore them. And that doesn’t give a cop the right to shoot you, even if he claims that “he perceived a threat.
Back in 2011, after I was raided sans warrant, I had to move to a new dwelling because the authorities gave my former forced husband my address. After I moved into my new apartment, police were there on frequent, random instances searching my home, again sans warrant. This went on from April until August. They were by there at least once a week, sometimes more. In August I finally stopped answering the door. I reinforced the door with a crutch propped firmly under the door knob. I had always done this since 2007 everywhere I lived. The cop that showed up this time tried kicking the door in. It was around 6AM and I was in bed asleep until he started knocking. He woke me up. By the time I got to the living room, he was already trying to kick the door in. I grabbed my gun and waited and watched the door. From the time I first started doing this to reinforce a door, I had never had this tested, so I was scared the person would get through the door. The person was kicking the door for a long time. Finally, it stopped. I waited a while and then went to the window to see who had been trying to kick my door in. It was a cop. Had the reinforcement not held then he would have been a dead cop when he got through my door. Since he had no legal right to be kicking my door in, I theorize that I would have been within my right to defend myself against an intruder.

The cop left behind shoe marks all over the door. My landlady came by the apartment because she was visiting my neighbor and happened to see the shoe marks. I told her what had happened. She called the police trying to learn why they were there. The police lied to her and said they had never been by my place. The landlady believed me over them and called what was happening "harassment" and that I should file a complaint about it. My neighbors (I had five sets of them in that building) informed her that the cops had on multiple occasions questioned them about me. I had no idea they had done this until the landlady told me what the neighbors had told her.

It was always the county cops instead of city harassing me. This made it more interesting since I was in the city and it was city jurisdiction. County police shouldn't have been searching anyone's home or canvasing neighbors, especially since no crime had even been committed. My neighbors and landlady even commented on it at the time. My landlady had a relative who was a cop and she even had him reach out to the county police and she told me they told him they hadn't been by my place.

After that happened, I would come home to my place being ransacked and searched. They did not knock on my door anymore. There was never a warrant. They would never have had grounds for a warrant. I never knew why it was happening. At the time this was going on, I had a degree in criminal justice. I had never been arrested for anything. My landlady said that they had never had her let them in and that she wouldn't have without a warrant.

After my lease was up, I moved out as quick as I could. From August 2011 until I moved to my current location, I never opened the door for anyone unexpected, not even the police. To this day though the cops deny they ever once had been by my place, even though there were witnesses and one left behind shoe print marks.

I don't ever trust a cop.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:23 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
She did have a legal firearm, and it neither helped nor hurt her. She's dead. By cop.

So I don't see how this strengthens the argument "...against antis who argue only police should have firearms."

If anything, this incident seems to me to strengthen the argument that there are one-too-many trigger-happy cops.
Absolutely, just way too many. Just imagine how many cops have got away with killing people like this back in the day, before technology was what it is today, like body cams, dash cams, and cell phone cams. Before todays technology, a cops words were everything and hard to go against.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:24 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Back in 2011, after I was raided sans warrant, I had to move to a new dwelling because the authorities gave my former forced husband my address. After I moved into my new apartment, police were there on frequent, random instances searching my home, again sans warrant. This went on from April until August. They were by there at least once a week, sometimes more. In August I finally stopped answering the door. I reinforced the door with a crutch propped firmly under the door knob. I had always done this since 2007 everywhere I lived. The cop that showed up this time tried kicking the door in. It was around 6AM and I was in bed asleep until he started knocking. He woke me up. By the time I got to the living room, he was already trying to kick the door in. I grabbed my gun and waited and watched the door. From the time I first started doing this to reinforce a door, I had never had this tested, so I was scared the person would get through the door. The person was kicking the door for a long time. Finally, it stopped. I waited a while and then went to the window to see who had been trying to kick my door in. It was a cop. Had the reinforcement not held then he would have been a dead cop when he got through my door. Since he had no legal right to be kicking my door in, I theorize that I would have been within my right to defend myself against an intruder.

The cop left behind shoe marks all over the door. My landlady came by the apartment because she was visiting my neighbor and happened to see the shoe marks. I told her what had happened. She called the police trying to learn why they were there. The police lied to her and said they had never been by my place. The landlady believed me over them and called what was happening "harassment" and that I should file a complaint about it. My neighbors (I had five sets of them in that building) informed her that the cops had on multiple occasions questioned them about me. I had no idea they had done this until the landlady told me what the neighbors had told her.

It was always the county cops instead of city harassing me. This made it more interesting since I was in the city and it was city jurisdiction. County police shouldn't have been searching anyone's home or canvasing neighbors, especially since no crime had even been committed. My neighbors and landlady even commented on it at the time. My landlady had a relative who was a cop and she even had him reach out to the county police and she told me they told him they hadn't been by my place.

After that happened, I would come home to my place being ransacked and searched. They did not knock on my door anymore. There was never a warrant. They would never have had grounds for a warrant. I never knew why it was happening. At the time this was going on, I had a degree in criminal justice. I had never been arrested for anything. My landlady said that they had never had her let them in and that she wouldn't have without a warrant.

After my lease was up, I moved out as quick as I could. From August 2011 until I moved to my current location, I never opened the door for anyone unexpected, not even the police. To this day though the cops deny they ever once had been by my place, even though there were witnesses and one left behind shoe print marks.

I don't ever trust a cop.
Sadly, your situation is not unusual. A relative of mine was seen being beaten by her estranged husband by two cops. And he is illegal. The prosecutor won't charge him because he is renting a house from her and he is an informant.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:33 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,097,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon998877 View Post
If someone is pointing a gun at me, its survival.. no way a jury convicts this guys of murder, the police haters here will be disappointed.
If the cop saw Jefferson pointing a gun at him why did he shout "show me your hands" in stead of "drop the gun". Obviously he couldn't see her hands, or a gun.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:39 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
If the cop saw Jefferson pointing a gun at him why did he shout "show me your hands" in stead of "drop the gun". Obviously he couldn't see her hands, or a gun.
Great point. This is why he is toast

Old 10-15-2019, 11:42 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
My thinking as well. Multiple outlets are now reporting that he shot before he even finished saying "hands"…..crazy.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:42 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Sadly, your situation is not unusual. A relative of mine was seen being beaten by her estranged husband by two cops. And he is illegal. The prosecutor won't charge him because he is renting a house from her and he is an informant.
Her story is not unusual?

If yspobo's life story is not unusual, I'll go jump off a bridge. Who wants to live in a world where her story is "not unusual?"

Old 10-15-2019, 11:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
My thinking as well. Multiple outlets are now reporting that he shot before he even finished saying "hands"…..crazy.
Really, though, that just gives more credence to the thought that he didn't intend to shoot her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies