Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 04:03 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times

Advertisements

I got the news today, and it was a good thing I was sitting down when I opened the envelope.

The premium for the "budget" plan I have (otherwise known as the bronze plan) will be $977 a month. That's nearly $1,000 a month for the cheapest plan available, which carries a deductible of nearly $7,000. That means that I, with a straight middle-class income, will be on the hook for almost $20,000 in medical costs (if my year is bad). Boy, do I long for the pre-Obamacare days just a few years ago when I paid a few hundred a month at most for a real plan that covered medical expenses!

Basically, as has been discussed before, Obama "arranged" for middle earners to pay exorbitant premiums for what is essentially a catastrophic plan in order to have insurance companies provide the costs for every sneeze and cough for low(er) earners.

So, has anyone else received their envelope?

Old 10-16-2019, 04:08 PM

21,942 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I got the news today, and it was a good thing I was sitting down when I opened the envelope.

The premium for the "budget" plan I have (otherwise known as the bronze plan) will be $977 a month. That's nearly $1,000 a month for the cheapest plan available, which carries a deductible of nearly $7,000. That means that I, with a straight middle-class income, will be on the hook for almost $20,000 in medical costs (if my year is bad). Boy, do I long for the pre-Obamacare days just a few years ago when I paid a few hundred a month at most for a real plan that covered medical expenses!

Basically, as has been discussed before, Obama "arranged" for middle earners to pay exorbitant premiums for what is essentially a catastrophic plan in order to have insurance companies provide the costs for every sneeze and cough for low(er) earners.

So, has anyone else received their envelope?
Do you get any subsidies, Rachel?

Old 10-16-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Do you get any subsidies, Rachel?
No. I'm in that grey area where I have too much income to qualify for subsidies, yet not enough for it not to make a difference.

The people who were really screwed over by Obamacare are those in the moderate range. In what world can someone grossing $50,000 (not me, but someone in that range doesn't qualify for subsidies, either) be categorized as having "health insurance" and be on the hook for $20,000 in expenses/premiums a year?

Old 10-16-2019, 04:16 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Are you self employed? Always puzzled me exactly who is on Obamacare as most get it through their employer. More of a safety net?

Only people I know who have it are pretty low income(water delivery driver), rabid Trump supporters, who love their Affordable Care Act subsidized insurance, but hate Obamacare...

Old 10-16-2019, 04:19 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,043 times
According to Obama, that’s $2,500 less that what you were previously paying.

“Affordable” LOL. Did anyone actually believe that the government would make something cheaper? I guess they didn’t learn anything from the college tuition disaster.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:21 PM

21,942 posts, read 9,513,063 times
Quote:
No. I'm in that grey area where I have too much income to qualify for subsidies, yet not enough for it not to make a difference.

The people who were really screwed over by Obamacare are those in the moderate range. In what world can someone grossing $50,000 (not me, but someone in that range doesn't qualify for subsidies, either) be categorized as having "health insurance" and be on the hook for $20,000 in expenses/premiums a year?
Yes, I have know it hit mid income people the hardest. I listen to a Sirius Satellite radio show called Healthcare Connect and he talks about it. I am sorry. I wish they could fix this. They never address the reason costs keep going up. (The politicians, I mean).

Old 10-16-2019, 04:22 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
..., rabid Trump supporters, who love their Affordable Care Act subsidized insurance, but hate Obamacare...
Why are you constructing a strawman? Point out who these so called ACA-loving rabid Trump supporters are.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Are you self employed? Always puzzled me exactly who is on Obamacare as most get it through their employer. More of a safety net?

Only people I know who have it are pretty low income(water delivery driver), rabid Trump supporters, who love their Affordable Care Act subsidized insurance, but hate Obamacare...

Semi-retired, but too young for Medicare. When I first semi-retired, I was paying just $400 a month pre-Obamacare. I thought I had it all figured out, given how Obama said premiums would drop. Hah.

But are you saying the only low-income are rabid Trump supporters? What about all the low-income on welfare in Detroit, St. Louis, Washington DC, Baltimore, NYC, etc., etc.? If they vote at all, they vote Dem.

(What is it with these sanctimonious liberals who think Trump supporters are poor and the Democratic supporters are educated and affluent? They're so full of themselves.)

Old 10-16-2019, 04:24 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
Semi-retired, but too young for Medicare. When I first semi-retired, I was paying just $400 a month pre-Obamacare. I thought I had it all figured out, given how Obama said premiums would drop. Hah.

But are you saying the only low-income are rabid Trump supporters? What about all the low-income on welfare in Detroit, St. Louis, Washington DC, Baltimore, NYC, etc., etc.? If they vote at all, they vote Dem.

(What is it with these sanctimonious liberals who think Trump supporters are poor and the Democratic supporters are educated and affluent? They're so full of themselves.)
No, I'm saying that's the only set of people I know who are on Obamacare..and are obviously clueless about it. Everyone else is through employer or retired. So I'm saying I don't know who the millions of Obamacare folks are.

Old 10-16-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Yes, I have know it hit mid income people the hardest. I listen to a Sirius Satellite radio show called Healthcare Connect and he talks about it. I am sorry. I wish they could fix this. They never address the reason costs keep going up. (The politicians, I mean).
Thanks. Yes, and there's a big "cliff" at which point the subsidies disappear. I think it's at around $48,000 or so, so if you earn $47,000, you might pay $200 a month with subsidies, and if you earn $49,000, you lose the subsidies and are on the hook for the full grand a month!

It was such a poorly designed scheme. The person earning $47,000 is financially much better off than the person earning a few thousand more. Anyone at the level would be well advised to reject any raise, or it will cost them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies