Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 12:30 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,577,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
I love my health insurance, have never felt screwed by them. Everything was excellent when I had my emergency appendectomy....a nurse made a house call post-op. Lol think the government could/would do that?

We don't care about your UHC...how many times do I have to say this? This thread isn't about Canada.

I don't think any American is packing their bags and headed up north because of your explanations of mediocre health care at best.
Whenever you guys bring up UHC and Canada, and misinformation is given, I will respond.

More Americans care about some sort of UHC than don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, I do. The country of Canada, itself, described it:

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...medicines.html

There you go... yet another example of Canada's multi-tier health care.

That is NOT two-tiered, but YOU know that.

You should change your moniker, to Uninformed Consent.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Whenever you guys bring up UHC and Canada, and misinformation is given, I will respond.

Yes, I feel the same way when Canadians (and others) give misinformation about the US system.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, I feel the same way when Canadians (and others) give misinformation about the US system.
As you should. However, I am not one. I have been visiting the US snick 1964. I have had family living there since the 1950's, and to this day still have friends scattered about the US. We talk.

I also, visit the Health Section here on CD and read some of the concerns your fellow Americans have. Although not the best way to judge things, it does give a picture of some of the issues, that befalls on Americans, compared to the Canadian system.

I would also add, that during the healthcare debate in the US when Obama was president, the misinformation about Canada's system wasn't just coming from internet boards, but high profile US politicians. Sort of took the misinformation campaign to a new level.

EDIT: Another concern, is that Canada isn't looking for a whole new system, but only to improve the existing one. The US is looking for a different, way, or at least judging by the polls that say Americans aren't happy with the status quo. So, discussions about US healthcare have more at stake.You need proper information, to make wise choices, and if people only want to believe the lies said about other systems, then you may make poor choices, or at least uniformed ones.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
As you should. However, I am not one. I have been visiting the US snick 1964. I have had family living there since the 1950's, and to this day still have friends scattered about the US. We talk.

I also, visit the Health Section here on CD and read some of the concerns your fellow Americans have. Although not the best way to judge things, it does give a picture of some of the issues, that befalls on Americans, compared to the Canadian system.

I would also add, that during the healthcare debate in the US when Obama was president, the misinformation about Canada's system wasn't just coming from internet boards, but high profile US politicians. Sort of took the misinformation campaign to a new level.

EDIT: Another concern, is that Canada isn't looking for a whole new system, but only to improve the existing one. The US is looking for a different, way, or at least judging by the polls that say Americans aren't happy with the status quo. So, discussions about US healthcare have more at stake.You need proper information, to make wise choices, and if people only want to believe the lies said about other systems, then you may make poor choices, or at least uniformed ones.
I did not accuse you of saying anything negative about the US system in this thread. I was just agreeing with you in principle. There are some Canadians who post on here who think they know the whole US system inside and out. No one does, not even Americans! Certainly not a lot of American politicians. I'm fairly liberal and I used to cringe when Obama talked about health care. I got into quite a disagreement once here on CD with a Canadian about vaccines; I kept saying there is a program for the uninsured so that no one has to go without, and he told me the federal government's tax funded "Vaccines for Children" program was a charity that could fold any day.

I have no idea what you're talking about re: the Health and Wellness forum. It's basically an alt med forum; anyone who wants to talk about mainstream medicine gets flamed, ridiculed, and more.

It's not clear what the US is looking for. For years, yea decades, I have said what most people want is more benefits at lower cost. Ain't going to happen that way. Some politicians, particularly some running for POTUS, think we all want "Medicare for All". Some think we want "Medicare for All Who Want It". And so on.

Old 10-30-2019, 02:32 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,675,265 times
Quote:

If by that you mean the dregs and do-nothings, you're right.

But, sorry, average middle class Joe on a budget with a good job with good insurance, mortgage, kids, 2 cars, retirement planning, etc. does not want UHC.

I don't care what the polls say.

I've never been polled in my life.

I know what I see in the real world, nobody wants it unless they're already mooching.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:24 PM

89,069 posts, read 44,895,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
???? Paying your premium is still mandatory.
Only if I choose to buy insurance.

Quote:
I had catastrophic insurance only too, when I was younger. And had no one but me to worry about.
We all make choices that suit our lives. You made the choice to have others to worry about. That's on you.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:

That is NOT two-tiered, but YOU know that.
Actually, it's multi-tiered. The country of Canada, itself, admits that some people on Canadian public health care have prescription coverage, some have partial prescription coverage, and some have none at all. Read it on Canada's website, again:

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...medicines.html

Perhaps hitting yourself in the head has negatively affected your ability to comprehend what you read.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:37 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Only if I choose to buy insurance.
And we're back to our starting point. Unless you are independently wealthy, you can't afford to pay for your health care on your own. You can get away with it while you are young, healthy, and lucky, but sooner or later...

Old 10-30-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And we're back to our starting point. Unless you are independently wealthy, you can't afford to pay for your health care on your own.
That's why many people choose to earn/buy health insurance. They're betting their health care costs will exceed their premiums plus deductibles (which have become exorbitantly high under Obamacare, as health insurance is no longer nearly as risk-based as it used to be and is instead a wealth redistribution program). The insurance company is betting they don't.

Obamacare Has Turned Voters Against Sharing the Wealth - NY Times

Is Obamacare really affordable? Not for the middle class - CNN

How would M4A improve the negative outcome Obamacare has had for millions of Americans?

Budget watchdog group outlines 'Medicare for All' financing options
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies