Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 05:24 PM

8,347 posts, read 3,555,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
No one goes without the opportunity to buy and have medical insurance. If you are poor you have Medicaid. If you're indigent we'll send advanced medical equipment to you via 911, and transport you directly to a hospital.

The issue is really the tweeners... people who make more than the Medicaid cut off, but don't have medical benefits from their job. This may include people who work off the books, people who own a business and work for themselves, and people who are in good health and most importantly people who are struggling to make ends meet.... for what ever reason.
Not everyone who is poor qualifies for Medicaid. Some states didn't expand Medicaid, so you have to meet specific criteria to get it. Just being poor isn't enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Huh? I didn't say Americans don't live long lives, I just said we're fat. Our medical technology keeps people alive that would otherwise be dead. All kinds of health issues come from being overweight/obese. Even that aside, I know so many older people that are so sick, with so many ailments, that should be dead, yet they keep chugging along because medicine today is so insane, health care so good here.

Not as good as here, sorry. USA has world's best health care. Why do the rich British celebs come here for surgery? Cancer survival rates are the best here because we have the best technology and innovation.

I'm not denying anything, but sorry, your argument is really stupid. You're saying I'm not free because I have a job I like? Any job I were to switch to would offer great healthcare, too. Not having freedom is being forced off your private insurance and weaned into garbage M4A. It won't ever happen here.
And sometimes being overweight/obese is because of health issues instead of the cause of them.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:29 PM

1,705 posts, read 541,013 times
Quote:
I love my health insurance, have never felt screwed by them. Everything was excellent when I had my emergency appendectomy....a nurse made a house call post-op. Lol think the government could/would do that?
Several other 1st world nations have nurses make house calls. Even Doctors...

Old 10-29-2019, 05:30 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,687,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
And sometimes being overweight/obese is because of health issues instead of the cause of them.
Of course- I said that earlier. Medicines can make you fat. Some people have it in their genes. Etc. Etc.

It's very ignorant and insulting frankly to label everyone overweight/Obese as some disgusting glutton.

I take Seroquel for my raging insomnia and I gained weight at first. Of course, after all these years, finally the drug I take that works like a charm has weight gain as its main side effect.

Luckily though the munchies you get when you take it have subsided for me, and I'm at the gym 5 days a week. Working on being as healthy as possible.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:30 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,818,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Because you have to put a gun on people’s head and force them to join.

And not everybody is paying the same amount according to their risk. Insurance premium is calculated based on risks.

That’s evil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's why you earn/buy health insurance. It's a choice. Your body. Your choice.
Quote:
You're not. Having health insurance whether bought or earned is voluntary. It stops being voluntary when some are forced into slave labor to pay others' bills, i.e. single-payer public health care funded by taxpayers.
Of course paying a private insurance company is mandatory. They won't buy you a single aspirin if your premiums aren't up to date. They'll sue you too, if they think you've shafted them in some way.

Whether you call them premiums or taxes, when it comes to paying for health care, just about all of us are dependent on belonging to some group or other to pay for our health care. Because just about none of us can afford it on our own.

Quote:
You can make payments to hospitals to meet your deductible, interest free, and they'll take just about any amount per month.

People are way too dramatic.
Not universally true.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...can-be-ruinous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
No one goes without the opportunity to buy and have medical insurance. If you are poor you have Medicaid. If you're indigent we'll send advanced medical equipment to you via 911, and transport you directly to a hospital.

The issue is really the tweeners... people who make more than the Medicaid cut off, but don't have medical benefits from their job. This may include people who work off the books, people who own a business and work for themselves, and people who are in good health and most importantly people who are struggling to make ends meet.... for what ever reason.
Depends entirely on your state.

https://www.kff.org/medicaid/issue-b...pand-medicaid/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We have no sense of making decisions to lower costs plus the Democrats need about 100 millions 3rd world immigrants to get free health care and welfare for votes to finish off the country so that's why I changed my mind and now against socialized health care.
As I said above, cost containment is a huge issue, which is why it hasn't been fully tackled. Medicare/Medicaid/private insurers do limit in various ways what they will pay out. But that's after the fact. The real issue is outrageous cost increases (see: insulin), and Medicare/Medicaid/private insurers are kind of at the mercy of whatever the care providers do.

"The most significant obstacle to achieving this goal is the total cost of care and cost shifting. Health care is the only economic sector that produces goods and services none of its customers can afford. This system only works because the cost of medical care for individuals is heavily subsidized—increasingly with public resources—either directly through public programs like Medicare and Medicaid; or indirectly through the tax exclusion for employer sponsored health insurance; and the public subsidies for those purchasing insurance through the ACA exchanges."

https://blog.johnkitzhaber.com/five-...ratic-debates/

Old 10-29-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Of course- I said that earlier. Medicines can make you fat. Some people have it in their genes. Etc. Etc.

It's very ignorant and insulting frankly to label everyone overweight/Obese as some disgusting glutton.

I take Seroquel for my raging insomnia and I gained weight at first. Of course, after all these years, finally the drug I take that works like a charm has weight gain as its main side effect.

Luckily though the munchies you get when you take it have subsided for me, and I'm at the gym 5 days a week. Working on being as healthy as possible.
I'm on steroids for two health problems. They really plump you up after you've taken them long enough. No matter how much I starve myself, all it does is slow down how much I gain. Then I have people call me a liar basically and act like I sit around stuffing my face all day. Many days I just eat some crackers because I don't even have an appetite. Other days I eat only a little bit because while I'm hungry I am scared of gaining more weight. Years ago I saw a mandated dietitian who basically put me on what I dubbed a pancake diet because that was just about the only thing the diet allowed. High carbs with few proteins. I told her that would make me very sick because I have issues with low blood sugar and have since I was a child. She told me to try it anyway and acted like I was too stupid to know my own body. She told me I'd lose weight in no time on this diet. I was on that diet for about a month and gained over 30lbs. That was back in 2004. I stopped it and just lied after that and pretended I was on that diet so that they'd leave me alone. I didn't gain any more weight until after I fell and hurt my knee bad and couldn't exercise much anymore. You can hear my knee grind and pop when I walk because it's bone on bone. It is very painful. Medicaid wouldn't pay for this injection that would lubricate the joint to help relieve some of it. When I was a kid I was less than a size six and I never thought I'd be fat like this.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:42 AM

89,372 posts, read 45,100,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It is obvious, that you do not comprehend what a two-tier, or multi-tier healthcare system is.
Actually, I do. The country of Canada, itself, described it:

Quote:
Most Canadians have some access to insurance coverage for prescription drugs through a patchwork of public and/or private insurance plans. The federal, provincial and territorial governments offer varying levels of coverage and decide who is covered and what the patient and plan pays.The publicly-funded drug programs generally provide drug plan coverage for those most in need, based on age, income, and medical condition. Many Canadians and their family members have drug coverage linked to employment and some Canadians may have no effective drug coverage and pay the full cost of prescription drugs.
https://www.canada.ca/en/health-cana...medicines.html

There you go... yet another example of Canada's multi-tier health care.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Cite your source for that.

Old 10-30-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Of course paying a private insurance company is mandatory.
No, it isn't. Plenty of people, including me, self-insured for routine health care costs and had low-cost insurance for only catastrophic injury/illness.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:32 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,818,088 times
Quote:
No, it isn't. Plenty of people, including me, self-insured for routine health care costs and had low-cost insurance for only catastrophic injury/illness.
???? Paying your premium is still mandatory.

I had catastrophic insurance only too, when I was younger. And had no one but me to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies