Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 12:53 PM

6,478 posts, read 4,094,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
Nah, see.... you don't GET to call the demographic that has built the most just and equal complex societies on earth "morally bankrupt." YOU HAVEN'T EARNED THAT RIGHT. "People of Color," frankly, haven't EARNED that right, absent any evidence that being "of color" imparts superior moral conditioning. In fact, empirically, the opposite is true.

Enough with that mess you tell yourself. You don't even get the high ground on slavery since your great-great-great-great-grand-daddy was trading black babies and women to the Arabs for nonsense trinkets hundreds of years before the first European stumbled south of the Sahara. THAT is YOUR "moral legacy." Own that **** before you start throwing stones in your sad, glass hut.

So no. Until the societies, countries and civilizations where people who LOOK LIKE YOU are the MAJORITY show even 1/100th the amount of progressive and humanistic integrity, commitment to human rights and fairness to minorities as the "morally dead" white majority in this country (and Europe) do...you need to sit down and be quiet. Because nobody is buying that BS anymore. Times up on that kind of thinking. You'll figure that out eventually. Stay mad otherwise.
Well you said until, but do you know Rwanda has the most women in a government office in the world?
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...could-crush-it
Top 4 countries are all countries of "color"

This is a good article.

Turkish Civilization while not black I guess from your perspective are people of color has had some version of gay rights since the early 1800s when they were the Ottoman Empire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 12:59 PM

4,524 posts, read 1,877,725 times
I say we pay it out.

But then we are square. No more victimhood, no more special treatment, no more excuses.

Deal?

Old 10-26-2019, 01:06 PM

22,009 posts, read 9,579,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Slavery may have ended 154 years ago. Many descendants of slaves are identified. Ever hear of Roots?

In my children's lifetimes there were white and colored water fountains, blacks to the back of the bus and balcony only at the movies. When did red lining stop? When did segregation really stop? Why do you think we have spent so much money on freeways and subdivisions where minorities were denied mortgages.

Unless and until we all face up to what slavery did to the slaves and the owners, our culture will never get past it.

Don't forget, even while slavery was happening, plenty of people knew it to be wrong.

And most people currently supporting reparations have not now, nor have they ever suggested money be given to individuals.
Face up to it? It's all we talk about. I think 'face up' means give us money, right?

Old 10-26-2019, 01:18 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,224,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
Before you accuse someone else of ignorance, perhaps you should brush up on your history. In 1860, the Democratic Party WAS the party of slavery. After the Civil War, it was also the party of the KKK, Jim Crow, and segregation. It was the Republican Party that freed the slaves, affirmed that African-Americans were citizens, and gave them the right to vote.

I am not suggesting that the current day Democratic Party is racist, but its past is highly racist.
Again learn the difference between conservative and liberal. The democrat party at that time was not synonymous with being liberal. I explained that there were conservative Democrats at this time and they lingered around to the 90s, but they were dwindling year by year. These conservative democratic districts are now largely conservative republican districts. Please do some actual research so you can learn the nuanced differences.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:19 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,603,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Please someone explain to me why I, who had nothing to do with slavery, my grandparents came long after slavery, must pay reparations to people who were not alive when slavery was legal?

And Finally IMHO..The United States has given enough. Race based set aside contracts, affirmative action, college admissions preferences, employment quotas, civil service quotas, and on and on and on. Time for everybody to start pulling their own weight instead of being perpetual moochers.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-norc-p...120101708.html
Who says you are paying for it? Is money coming out of your pocket? I think not so quit being such a snowflake. My taxes go to stuff I don't want to pay for and as does everyone's. So quit whining.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:24 PM

11,987 posts, read 5,314,747 times
“Thirty acres and a mule” should have been implemented in 1865, but doing so would have required a permanent presence of federal troops in the South to keep the freedmen from being murdered, and the North wasn’t willing to do that.

At this late date, I don’t see how reparations to the individual descendants of slaves could possibly be implemented, even if it had the support of a majority of voters, which it clearly doesn’t have and probably never will.

And I’m a liberal.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Well that alone undermines one of the reasons for reparations, as why should the northern states and the west who did not have slavery, be made to pay for it?

Also are you for or against so called reparations?

`
Do you really think the economy of the south existed in a vacuum? The north has slaves, they just outlawed it earlier on. Northern merchants still profited off of the slave trade. The country amassed great wealth off of the slave trade, this is a fact. I don’t get why people fail to acknowledge this. Some people also think that once slavery ended everything was just great for black people. So much ignorance.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
“Thirty acres and a mule” should have been implemented in 1865, but doing so would have required a permanent presence of federal troops in the South to keep the freedmen from being murdered, and the North wasn’t willing to do that.

At this late date, I don’t see how reparations to the individual descendants of slaves could possibly be implemented, even if it had the support of a majority of voters, which it clearly doesn’t have and probably never will.

And I’m a liberal.
I agree with this. It will definitely be a difficult undertaking and would cost an astronomical amount. It does have a lot of difficulty with implementation. However, I do disagree with others on here that say it wouldn’t be justified. It would be hard to imagine it on a large scale with checks going out to all of the descendants. Maybe there is a way to do this that I don’t know about that. They have however been doing small scale reparations for descendants of slaves that helped to build Georgetown University for instance. I do think that studies looking into viable alternatives of implementation would be beneficial.

Old 10-26-2019, 01:47 PM

6,478 posts, read 4,094,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post

And I’m a liberal.
That's why I believe Jim Crow reparations make more sense especially now when a large percent of the black folk that experienced it are still alive about 4,000,000 if we are talking about checks. Now i'm unsure how it would be like to implement it if we are talking about older people, as they don't move a lot so subsidized home loans for example don't make any sense.

Old 10-26-2019, 02:27 PM

4,802 posts, read 2,814,328 times
Default Build for the future, & not just discharge the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I can understand why so many Blacks support reparations. If you were told you could possibly receive a check for a small fortune would you oppose it? Given the fact that the majority of people do not equate "Government money" as coming for other taxpayers they probably do not see it as anything else than "Free Money".

I am not saying I support reparations; just saying I understand.
Are reparations limited to money? Why not simply ask for volunteers - Black adolescents willing to work & study hard - & offer them paid tuition to any accredited two- or four-year college they can be accepted into? Continued tuition contingent upon maintaining a B average.

We - the federal government, I assume - should screen applicants for those most likely to succeed in college/university, pick the top 100 (or whatever number is convenient). & then send them on their way. Replace any who drop out, or just wait for the next cohort.

Continue until we run out of volunteers. If this works, we could look @ doing the same with Native Peoples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies