Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 01:35 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is absolutely no medical reason not to follow the recommended schedule. It just leaves the child vulnerable to vaccine preventable diseases for a longer period of time, and some of those parents never get around to completely vaccinating their kids.
Are you the parent of that particular child? NO.

Are you a doctor? NO.

Parents should decide what medical treatment their children should get.

Not a pro mandatory vaccine poster on CD who has never met the child or the doctor or the parents, has no medical history on the child and isn't an MD.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Well if a group wants to start a pirate/charter school that doesn't require vaccinations let them.
It would be hard, but they have their rights. There would be a lot of red tape, and hoops that would need to be dealt with. If they truly want it, let them see if they can get it done.

They need students, qualified teachers, safe school environment / school, transportation, various staff,
school nurse/doctor, etc. The biggest thing is money to get everything else they need.
Once again, with great fervor: You cannot open a school and advertise that you are breaking the law! The law requires public and private schools comply with the vaccine mandates.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:40 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I’m too young to remember anything about measles but , I don’t remember any parent putting up quarantine signs for chicken pox. In my neighborhood the parents knowingly exposed their kids so that they could get it over with while young and less likely to have complications. It was not a big deal. We all played outside with active chicken pox. No one was sick in bed, no one was quarantined. At night I remember taking baths with baking soda but that’s about it.

I think that there would be far less people opting out if vaccines were prioritized to the more serious things. The vaccine schedule today is extremely different from the schedule of my childhood. Kids today are expected to get way more vaccines then kids in the past. I think that leads to people opting out.
My daughters (6 and 11) had chicken pox in 1991. It was their Pediatrician who recommended that my older daughter caught chicken pox at her "advanced" age despite tell me their was a vaccine in the works for it.

I did not put up a warning sign on my door. My husband went to work and I went shopping. Their older cousins, who had chicken pox themselves, babysat when I went out.

Younger daughter was far more miserable than her older sister who treated it as a lark and invited her friends over after school. She had shingles at 38 and thought it was acne. Horrible pain? Nope. She is still a good decade away from getting a Shingles vaccine, same as my SIL who had it at 32.

Both of them just shrug when you talk about Shingles Vaccinations. Deadly, contagious shingles? Right.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What concern? Do you know anyone who has a child with intellectual disability due to Hemophilus influenzae meningitis? That is a relatively new vaccine. Hib used to be a common cause of meningitis. Now there are pediatricians who have never even seen a case. My sons' pediatrician recalls having parents sitting in chairs lining the walls of the ER holding babies to wait on spinal tap results to rule out meningitis. Is the Hib vaccine "good" or "bad"? The same with the pneumococcal vaccine.

Giving infants the hepatitis B vaccine will reduce the incidence of liver cancer. Is the hepatitis B vaccine "good" or "bad"?

Of course, many who fear vaccines will use the polio vaccine because the idea of paralysis is frightening. That is a real hoot because the risk of someone in the US catching polio is so remote as to be nonexistent. Meanwhile, they refuse the flu vaccine when flu is the most likely VPD to kill their child.

To say there are "too many vaccines" quite frankly just demonstrates a fundamental lack of understanding of how vaccines and the immune system work together.
Well, no.

It indicates an ability to COUNT.

Leave the decision-making up to children's parents. Period. Medical freedom without coercion.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Once again, with great fervor: You cannot open a school and advertise that you are breaking the law! The law requires public and private schools comply with the vaccine mandates.
Even online schools where no one ever meets in person. Because ... public safety? Um, right?

It's about control. Not safety.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:12 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Even online schools where no one ever meets in person. Because ... public safety? Um, right?

It's about control. Not safety.
Bullseye.

As it is with a few other issues dominating the news today.

Old 11-11-2019, 02:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My daughters (6 and 11) had chicken pox in 1991. It was their Pediatrician who recommended that my older daughter caught chicken pox at her "advanced" age despite tell me their was a vaccine in the works for it.

I did not put up a warning sign on my door. My husband went to work and I went shopping. Their older cousins, who had chicken pox themselves, babysat when I went out.

Younger daughter was far more miserable than her older sister who treated it as a lark and invited her friends over after school. She had shingles at 38 and thought it was acne. Horrible pain? Nope. She is still a good decade away from getting a Shingles vaccine, same as my SIL who had it at 32.

Both of them just shrug when you talk about Shingles Vaccinations. Deadly, contagious shingles? Right.
You have ridiculed people who have suffered with shingles in the past. You have been told numerous times that the pain of shingles can be so intense that it drives people to suicide. Yet you insist you n of 1 is typical for everyone.
https://vaccineinformation.org/shingles/

Old 11-11-2019, 02:22 PM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
New Zealand has no vaccine mandates. Right now, they are having a YUUUGE measles outbreak, about 1400 cases. Adjusted for population, that would be 90,000 cases in the US. The New Zealanders in a vaccine group I belong to say "people just don't want to get vaccinated". Mandates help with people who just don't "get around to it".

Voluntary programs for flu vaccination of health care workers usually produces results of 40%-60% and that's among people who should know better!
https://www.ajicjournal.org/article/...13)01100-0/pdf

Just because you (and MissTerri, and Jo48) never heard of quarantine signs doesn't mean they didn't exist. I posted a link which showed numerous pictures. When I got measles in 1957, my mother, who had been a public health nurse before she got married in 1948, asked the doctor about a quarantine sign. He told her they didn't use them any more. So sometime in those 9 years, the signs were no longer used.

There are some diseases you should have a healthy fear of. It's funny, meaning ironic, that you, and many other people, are so fearful of polio, as suzy_q2010 also noted. There has not been a wild (natural) polio case in this country since 1979, 40 years ago now! Yet it is my experience that this is the one vaccine many vaccine-averse parents want for their kids. "OMG, my kid might get polio"! You have to prove you've been vaccinated for polio to leave Pakistan, one of two countries that still have endemic wild polio. Let me add, I would never suggest that anyone skip the polio vaccine. My little granddaughter had hers.

Smallpox? Smallpox has been eradicated, world wide! No one gets smallpox vaccine any more. Whooping cough keeps circulating, mainly because of failure to vaccinate, not vaccine failure as some like to claim. Bubonic Plague exists in Colorado, though it's pretty rare in humans. Kills lots of prairie dogs. https://www.denverpost.com/2019/08/0...stumes-chants/

The time to get your tetanus shot is before you step on that rusty nail, or get poked by a rose thorn (a common way to get tetanus), or have reason to walk through areas contaminated with animal feces (barns, etc) or do a lot of gardening. You can get tetanus a lot of other ways than the proverbial rusty nail. If you wait until you get injured, you need a lot more than a shot. Everyone six months of age or older needs a flu shot. Every. single. year. one reads of perfectly healthy people who die from flu, practially overnight.

I would leave the recommending to people with more knowledge.
You said it was your mother, A NURSE, who asked for a quarantine sign in 1957. THAT says it all. Why would adults and children who already had measles need to stay away from a home that had measles? Could they spread measles when they themselves were IMMUNE with natural immunity?

You refuse based on your family medical professionals that the majority of the public were not terrified of measles back in the 1950's, as are the majority of the public NOT terrified of the flu today. Got your work cut out for you with that. There has been one case of the flu reported in the entire state! HORROR. Yesterday it was measles. Today it is the Flu.

Last edited by Jo48; 11-11-2019 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-11-2019, 02:22 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I am not YOUR responsibility. Neither is anyone else.

My choices are my responsibility. And I will make MY choices. Not you.
Generally I agree with choice when it comes to vaccines, especially for relatively mild diseases like chicken pox. But for certain deadly diseases, such as smallpox and polio, vaccination is key to ridding the world of these menaces.

If you refuse to have your child vaccinated against smallpox, would that be equivalent to the person who refuses to take their child to a doctor because they rely on "spiritual healing"? And if so, isn't that a form of child abuse?

Old 11-11-2019, 02:25 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
You have ridiculed people who have suffered with shingles in the past. You have been told numerous times that the pain of shingles can be so intense that it drives people to suicide. Yet you insist you n of 1 is typical for everyone.
https://vaccineinformation.org/shingles/
Clearly there is a lot of variation. It’s disingenuous to make it seem like shingles is no big at all and it’s equally disingenuous to make it out to be so painful that people want to die. Clearly there is a wide spectrum of experiences ranging from no big deal to very big deal. There’s so much middle room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies