Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 07:26 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,792,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So you basically don't see any value in trying to retain your privacy, and are willing to bend over and just take it from anyone just because?
I choose to:

Own property
Connect to electronic grid
Connect to gas and public water/ sewer
Maintain credit cards
Own/ use electronic devices
Own and drive a vehicle
Maintain a drivers license
Buy local licenses for my dogs
Permit work on my property
Vote
Maintain a passport
Transfer risks associated with my health, my property, my driving to insurers in exchange for premiums
Buy medications, when prescribed
Maintain accounts at multiple financial institutions

I acknowledge my choices means my data is being recorded and stored by third parties who are free, subject to laws, to share data. My history will follow me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Not sure why you quoted me, its not like I'm arguing that we should resist advancements or that AI isn't going to change things.

The point is Google usurped private data for their own profit, using questionable logic, and without consent.
Ascension Healthcare hired Google. That’s not usurping.

Outsourcing cloud computing and related analytics is nothing new.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
See the two statements I bolded? Just wait... you'll see... Those two will be cross-referenced, and insurance (private or public, doesn't matter which) will deny health care and any claims based on one's purchasing history indicating self-inflicted harm (obesity, alcohol abuse, etc.).
Ok. I will use cash to pay for :

The BIg MAC BOGO, and

Cartons of smokes, and

Quarts of vodka for today’s binge.

That will fool them, eh.

Nearly a decade ago, the ACA mandated Guaranteed Issue and eliminated preexisting conditions as exclusions.

Nearly every Republican who ran in the 2018 midterms, proclaimed their support for mandating insurers cover all preexisting conditions.

Obviously, there is near universal support for not discriminating based on condition, yet:

We all know the difference between life style choices that are serious contributors to medical conditions and conditions that cannot yet be easily linked to lifestyle. It is not a coincidence that 75% of us are overweight/ obese and the Diabetes 2 epidemic threatens 1/3 of the population.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Look up MHS Genesis. It's a government ran healthcare record that is putting anyone who is in that system at risk. I actually hate the fact that if my son chooses to join the military that they will see that he is going through grief counseling over the loss of his dad. They are slowly rolling it out to more military installations and it's a hot mess our government is paying billions to manage and put into more places.

I hate it and also glad the only think this system knows about me is my medications.
Leidos partnered with the DoD to replace a hodge- lodge of legacy healthcare systems and developed MHS.

Leidos is no stranger to developing and maintaining technology solutions for the Federal Government in many areas.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidos

Most rollouts, public or private, tend to be initially perceived as “ hot messes”.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:26 AM

89,083 posts, read 44,906,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Ok. I will use cash to pay for :

The BIg MAC BOGO, and

Cartons of smokes, and

Quarts of vodka for today’s binge.

That will fool them, eh.

Nearly a decade ago, the ACA mandated Guaranteed Issue and eliminated preexisting conditions as exclusions.

Nearly every Republican who ran in the 2018 midterms, proclaimed their support for mandating insurers cover all preexisting conditions.

Obviously, there is near universal support for not discriminating based on condition, yet:

We all know the difference between life style choices that are serious contributors to medical conditions and conditions that cannot yet be easily linked to lifestyle. It is not a coincidence that 75% of us are overweight/ obese and the Diabetes 2 epidemic threatens 1/3 of the population.
Are you willing to bet your future access to medical care on whether the ACA will still apply?

Old 11-12-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Google, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, and all Tech is Far Left Progressive DEMOCRAT. Yes we have no privacy. Thank them. Before that it was Obama using the NSA to spy on political enemies and journalists he didn't like including James Rosen, and Sheryl Atkisson.

The Federal Government historically awards contracts to the private sector.

Businesses usually compete for government contracts.

Recently, the Pentagon awarded the lucrative $10 billion JEDI cloud technology contract to Microsoft over Amazon. There was a buzz Trump influenced the decision because Bezos. Who knows?

The businesses you mention are publicly- traded. Like all publicly traded companies, they have an obligation to shareholders to sustain and increase shareholder value. Green trumps red and blue.

Privately held businesses don’t last unless it sustains and increases shareholder value, too. Not for profit businesses are not precluded from profit. They simply can’t use profit to declare a dividend for shareholders.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:43 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times
OP is pretty much correct. ghoul-gul long ago dropped any pretense about evildoing..

Old 11-12-2019, 08:47 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,946,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
My buddy is down to property taxes living off grid in the mountains. Kudos to you for admitting that you still have to pay tribute to the throne.
I don't consider property taxes to be a violation of privacy although I will admit I am very concerned with the direction the tech companies are headed not to mention how dependent many people are on them.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Are you willing to bet your future access to medical care on whether the ACA will still apply?
Not all preexisting conditions are equal. Some are substantially influenced by personal lifestyle choices and some are in the ship happens category.

I am an advocate for basing premiums on the very basic lifestyle choices of enrollees, no diff than smoking. This includes public and private healthcare.

With sufficient lead time, no reason why those with waist sizes greater than the generous healthy range should not pay higher premiums than those who take personal responsibility. Why oh why are the “ My 600 Pound Lifers” being enabled by federal and state systems? A yeah, I understand these are mentally ill outliers being enabled by family and government.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:12 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,189,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ons-Americans-health-data.html

I don’t think there is damn thing that is private anymore and that can’t be accessed by corporations even without your consent. There is nothing more personal than health information. Seems like our health is going the same way as marketing for a new car.

You can’t opt out of this new social contract. Is there any more living off the grid? I doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
I don’t consider this a left or right issue. Privacy has disappeared no matter your ideology. Both parties are complicit in this loss. There is no going back. We have all become nothing more than algorithms to some internet marketer until they have bled us dry.
Why did you ignore the California Consumer Privacy Act?

Granted, the law actually doesn't go into effect until January 1, 2020, but it gives consumers in California a number of options.

You can opt out from a particular site. You can opt out from all sites. You can make a written request to any company to compel them to provide you with all the information they have about you and to whom they've sold your data and a few other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies