Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 11:32 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Media drooling?

Most people want to know about school shootings

Seems every mass shooting inspires the next.

What has changed?

Social media, and the number of civilians with easy access to automatic weapons, designed to inflict the most damage in the least amount of time.

There’s a reason why the manufacture and importation of fully automatic weapons for civilian use was banned in 1986, and stands, 33 years later.
While it isn't hard, it isn't all that easy either. Here are the steps to go through for a fully automatic weapon. I know it say's SBR or suppressor but I think the same steps are needed for transferable automatic firearms.

Create your NFA Gun Trust,
Purchase your Silencer or SBR,
Complete your portion of the Form 4,
Have your SOT Dealer fill out their section of the Form 4,
Complete an ATF Form 23 (Form 5320.23) for each “Responsible Person,”
Take photographs of each “Responsible Person,”
Have fingerprints taken on FBI FD-258LE Fingerprint Cards for each “Responsible Person,”
Review, Review, then Review again
Submit documentation to your Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO)
Submit your Application Packet to the ATF

https://thetrustshop.net/nfa-gun-tru...eps-tax-stamp/

And don't forget about the actual cost. I think the cheapest one here is $17k

https://otbfirearms.com/nfa/transferable-machine-guns/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2019, 11:36 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont think there is anything we can do about them, its unfortunate, but we cannot change one of the founding principles of this country, just for the sake of safety, (again, safety was never guaranteed here, but freedom and liberty were).
It has nothing to do with freedom. As I said whenever I go to any sporting event, or when I used to go to the club, there was always metal detectors.

For the love of God just install them at all high schools. It's such a simple, effective measure that would absolutely probably save lives.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
There is a flock of news choppers in the air over it right now.

30 years ago there was an estimated 200 million firearms in the Country and I can only think of a couple of mass shootings at that point. Very rare.
Long forgotten.....

33 years ago, a 30 year old woman walked into an elementary school in affluent Winnetka, Illinois with 3 handguns and shot 5 2nd graders. One was killed. It is viewed in some circles as the first school mass shooting in modern times.

People all over the country could not get enough of the horrific story and national media delivered.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't know if mental illness is any more prevalent that it ever was, but assuming you are correct, it is all the more reason why we need to make it harder for the mentally ill to get their hands on guns than it currently is. Of course doing so would also make it harder for people who are not mentally ill to get guns. It is a reasonable price to pay for the safety of ourselves and especially our children in schools.
Reportedly, the shooter is a 15 year old male.

He did not acquire the firearm lawfully. In this instance, no amount of deep diving into his background / emotional stability would have mattered.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:46 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Reportedly, the shooter is a 15 year old male.

He did not acquire the firearm lawfully. In this instance, no amount of deep diving into his background / emotional stability would have mattered.
I'm not talking about background checks - at least not the records check thing that we now have to some degree. I realize that is not a real solution, though who knows it might slow or stop a few murders each year.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How about they follow the tactics SD Unified does. High fences, one way in and out during opening and closing. Armed Police on campus when the doors aren't locked. Much simpler than laying useless laws upon our already existing laws.

In California there is an assault weapons ban. You have to be 18 to purchase a rifle 21 a handgun. Prohibited persons cannot buy a firearm. All firearms purchased in California must have a CA DOJ-approved safety device. ... Unless you can provide evidence of an approved gun safe, you'll need to show that you purchased a firearm safety device in the last 30 days.

If this guy is indeed a student he already wasn't legal to buy and no new ridiculous law would have prevented it.
Reportedly the school has high fences and limited entrances/ exits.

The shooter, age 15 is one of 2,385 students who attend this big sprawling school. Like most schools, it likely does not use metal detectors. Nothing short of metal detectors would have detected a firearm.

Given the shooter attended this school he was likely very familiar with security and drills.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Had the shooter kept his grades up and stayed out of trouble he'd have made a fine deep state asset.
We know nothing about this shooter.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Latest report I heard said that the shooter died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound on the campus of the school.
Initial reports are often mistaken.

Shooter is in custody.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:02 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Put metal detectors in EVERY HS.

Not joking. If that's what needs to happen, do it. I went to inner city HS and we had a FT police officer in our school. Personally I think these days every single school should have metal detectors, if that will stop this.

Why would anyone be against that??
How early would students have to show up for school? This school had about 3,000 students. Lets say 5 seconds per student to pass through screening that's 15,000 seconds or a little over 4 hours. With 4 metal detectors that would still be an hour to screen all students. My son gets up at 5 now to get ready, eat, and get out the door for school and he doesn't ride a bus so it takes him about 15 minutes on his bike or skateboard to get to school. So he would have to get up at 4 to make it in time to get passed security which means he would have to go to bed by 8 to get 8 hours of sleep. Considering that he is still doing homework at 8 some nights when would he do anything but go to school do homework, and sleep? Those that ride buses have a much longer transportation time so they would have to be up even earlier.

Then there is the cost of purchasing machines, maintenance, and staffing when school budgets are already stretched thin. What gets cut to pay for them, the football teams funding, the library, teacher pay, books, computers, band, art, science labs, the auto shop, welding class?

Then you have the issue of creating a nice big line of students waiting to get in, perfect target for a shooter before ever having to enter a school.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:04 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
My kid's school had walk through metal detectors (and wands), insist on it folks. About 3,000 kids, buses were staggered in getting there, so there was never a rush at the same time. I think they had about eight of them. Line was never more than a few minutes.

Last edited by elan; 11-14-2019 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies