Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2019, 12:48 PM

89,295 posts, read 45,013,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
I didn't mention any specific policy Bud! Stop the strawmen! Some of the 'helping' is absolutely not good but that is not my point and frankly you are to obtuse to continue this conversation.
As a result of all that "helping" (welfare, etc.) we have generational poverty. Half of all US births every year are paid for by Medicaid (the public assistance health care program for the poor), and 70% of those born poor never rise above the bottom 20% income level (maximum income $25,000) their entire lives.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:48 PM

8,169 posts, read 3,715,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Obviously, you didn't read the article. The author pays 31% in taxes in Sweden vs 22% in USA, while getting way more services. Yeah, free college education and health care are worth much more than that 9% income difference. Not to mention near-zero flat fee property payment instead of property tax in US that drives retirees from their homes. Etc, etc.

No, California is nowhere close - it's just typical US state with higher taxes, but all the same problems like other US states.

And, please, "extensive American social safety net" exists only in your imagination. If tomorrow I lose my job, less than in a few months I would have to sell my house and live on the street, while totally forgetting about health care etc. In US if you get a problem once in your life - you are doomed for the rest of it.
Exactly. I don't understand why it is so hard for some to figure out that, say 10k per year in health premiums is equivalent to 10% tax on a 100k income. Or 50k tuition per year per child is equivalent to whatever ... over a working career. Or 20-30k in daycare, etc...
And then payroll taxes and property taxes are still taxes that need to be accounted for...

Old 11-18-2019, 12:49 PM

89,295 posts, read 45,013,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Let’s force other people to foot the bill. All hail slavery!
Yep. Exactly.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:50 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,602,092 times
Quote:
It would be helpful if you would follow and read along.

Virtually, so then you can answer yes.

Just stop! God you guys are pathetic!
Would you please stop all the name calling? Everybody can do that.

If you have an example, please provide. If not, why keep saying you do?

Old 11-18-2019, 12:53 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,602,092 times
Quote:
My very good friend is a single mother who is now a widow. She in her 40s and struggling working part time at her father's mechanic shop. They are everywhere. How about moms whose husband leave or are abusive. Should they stay and be beaten just so they don't struggle or leave? Ever hear of woman's shelters or do you wish they just took responsibility and lived on the street 24/7 with their kids. I know they all should be psychic so they can tease out all the possibilities and make the absolute right choices. Do you really think people have this kinda insight into the future. Is it at all possible in your little world for some to struggle who are not irresponsible or at fault?
There’s no life insurance? Why was she depending on one income?

What have you done to help?

Old 11-18-2019, 12:55 PM

7,528 posts, read 5,777,229 times
Because they can’t manage their money..

Old 11-18-2019, 12:55 PM

4,524 posts, read 1,877,295 times
Quote:
Was I talking about 'typical Americans' - NO!

Quit changing the goal posts!

It's simple most Americans are struggling - FACT

Not all them are irresponsible nor is it their fault - FACT

You want to answer the question as well, well you already admitted it so we already won this argument. Stop your guy's one dimensional and simplistic answer to these facts and stop the strawmen.
Ok tell me all about “most Americans struggling”

Your story had absolutely nothing to do with “most Americans”

Old 11-18-2019, 12:56 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
As a result of all that "helping" (welfare, etc.) we have generational poverty. Half of all US births every year are paid for by Medicaid (the public assistance health care program for the poor), and 70% of those born poor never rise above the bottom 20% income level (maximum income $25,000) their entire lives.
This is not what my posts are about! Just because of one form of helping is not or does not work does not mean that any form should not be granted. This argument is beyond the points being made.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:57 PM

4,524 posts, read 1,877,295 times
Quote:
This is not what my posts are about! Just because of one form of helping is not or does not work does not mean that any form should not be granted. This argument is beyond the points being made.
From the best I can tell, you’re just mad that life isn’t easy.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:57 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Ok tell me all about “most Americans struggling”

Your story had absolutely nothing to do with “most Americans”

That's your strawman - it was not about 'most Americans.' Jeez Try following the convo! It was an example, which you requested, about those that can be struggling but are not irresponsible nor at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies