Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 09:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
Both of you need to learn how to read. I clearly stated that Amazon pays their share. What I was getting at was desertdetroiter seems to think all of it should rest on Amazon's shoulders.
Nonsense. Now you’re flipping the script.

You totally meant that Amazon provides jobs, so they should pay nothing in taxes and pay nothing for public services.

Don’t switch up now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 09:11 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
NYC is a special case because Amazon wants to expand into investments and trading. Availability of talent and low latency is critically important for trading systems. Their selected location is as close to the trading floor as they could get for the number of people they plan to hire.
I don’t doubt this for a minute.

But I still think these incentives are more of a ripoff for most municipalities. But I agree, NYC doesn’t have to participate in that kind of giveaway because of its unique situation.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:21 AM

20,480 posts, read 12,402,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You guys are too impressed with job number claims. Divide their claims in half and you MIGHT be close to the number they say. Corporations lie their asses off.
ok DD thinks 12500<700

still don't see how you come up with AOC is spot on when she cost NY and in particular her district that many jobs. not to mention the construction jobs associated with building etc.

AOC wasn't right. she was wrong. its going to cost NY a ton of money.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:38 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,323,725 times
Quote:
Nonsense. Now you’re flipping the script.

You totally meant that Amazon provides jobs, so they should pay nothing in taxes and pay nothing for public services.

Don’t switch up now.

Oh really?

Quote:
LMAO, what?! Since when is it Amazon's responsibility to take care of schools, police, roads, and other outlets that our government is supposed to fund money into? They pay taxes just like we do, so they have made their contribution. Please stop, you have no idea how this works.
Quote:
And Amazon pays their taxes man. And some of that money goes back into funding for roads and infrastructure, police, fire, medical, schools, etc. Why do you think so many other states were foaming at the mouth to get them to come to them when they decided to pass on NYC? Your logic is ridiculous. You really think Amazon is exempt from paying their fair share? You're delusional!! The problem is you're way of thinking. You seem like the type to get mad at your neighbor if he doesn't share any vegetables from his own garden. Because while you know it's his garden and he's earned the right to do whatever he wants with his harvest, you probably feel you're owed something, simply because you exist and live next door.

Sounds to me like I did mention that they contribute. I didn't flip or switch up a damn thing. You just hate being wrong, as well as being called out for sounding as stupid as AOC, if not dumber. I never said they shouldn't have to pay NOTHING. I was stating that you make it sound like they need to play God and foot the entire bill themselves. They definitely contribute. And again, they generate money for states whenever they decide to open up a warehouse or a corporate office. Why do you think so many other states begged them to come set up shop the moment the NYC deal was ruined?

And even now, it's nowhere close as good. 1,500 jobs compared to the original 25,000 is NOTHING. And then for her to brag about it on social media is was just absurd. Yes, go enjoy your victory lap for a 94% loss in jobs for NYC, her district nonetheless. Look, I am all for mom and pop stores. But M&P businesses can only provide so much to employees. Whereas companies like Amazon can provide hundreds of thousands of people with jobs, benefits, and growth. I have worked at both ends, and I can't tell you how many times the M&P places had to keep looking for different healthcare options, or do away with some of the benefits, because they couldn't afford it. Or my raises being stagnant because it isn't in the budget. My new job is a corporation and doesn't have that issue. Hell, I get complimentary life and disability from them.

You just sound like whiny liberal looking for a handout. No wonder you love AOC so much. Enjoy it now, because she will be back bar tending and waitressing at her old job very soon.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:11 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,589,360 times
Quote:

But I still think these incentives are more of a ripoff for most municipalities. But I agree, NYC doesn’t have to participate in that kind of giveaway because of its unique situation.
Because of the inherent advantages of the location, it argues against incentives or at least weighing them against what it could cost to run their operations in New Jersey.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:35 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,370,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And there are dozens of cities that meet that criteria. The question is which one gets the tax revenue and jobs. It's your kind of thinking that drives the powerful economies of of the likes of Cuba and Venezuela, two countries who rejected the big corporations.
Strawman argument.

Other countries/governments also manage their resource extraction through state companies - like Chile, Botswana, Norway, China, Saudi Arabia - but don't mortgage or give away their rights needlessy to private corporations. That's the point.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:36 AM

37,151 posts, read 42,256,168 times
The definition of "spot on" has changed I see

Old 12-11-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And in both cases, their smug rejection earned them economic devastation and extreme poverty. Those like myself are determined to keep those like yourself from applying the same principles and getting the same results here as those two have.
That's a false dichotomy argument.

Venuezuela has ALWAYS had a state owned oil company and worked with foreign multinationals, no matter what government they had, and in good times and bad times. Their problems today are more internally driven rather than telling Mobil or Exxon to go stuff it, and long term, being too dependent on petroleum. That's not going to change. BP, Shell, Chevron are still going to work with them in any case.

I've pointed out that other countries manage their resources thru state-owned entities without giving away their sovereignty and they are doing well economically. Like China, Chile and Saudi Arabia, for example.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Yep.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Because of the inherent advantages of the location, it argues against incentives or at least weighing them against what it could cost to run their operations in New Jersey.
Exactly. New Jersey just has back office operations...seems that the heart of big finance still wants to be in Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies