Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2019, 09:45 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Yeah, we all understand that the taxed country doesn't pay the tax itself, it is paid by the importer. And it can be passed down to the consumer. Bottom line is that since the first round of Chinese tariffs, the US Treasury's bottom line has increased by $22 Billion. So yes, the income created by the Tariffs with Mexico could be used to pay for the Border Barrier.......

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ier-basics.asp
From your Investopedia article:

Tariffs are paid by domestic consumers and not the exporting country, but they have the effect of raising the relative prices of imported products.

I.E. That's our money in the US Treasury, yours and mine. Not Mexico's or Mexican's.

So, "the income created by the tariffs with Mexico could be used to pay for the border barrier", sure. No different than if they used tax dollars, the source is the same - you and me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2019, 09:52 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Better than nothing. Texas is where a wall is going to be lacking, unless we take the entire Rio Grande River.
How far is it from the Pacific Ocean to the Rio Grande? 93 miles so far?

With everyone screaming, "Build the Wall" I'm surprised they don't have more help. Volunteer help. Free American labor, for our so called security.

I am personally against the wall. I'm against government NOT going after assets of the employers of these people and NOT ending Birth Right citizenship, the way it has been defined.
So now employers should risk losing everything if they can't snuff out identity theft?

E verify is great but not the be all end all.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:00 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:
Better than nothing. Texas is where a wall is going to be lacking, unless we take the entire Rio Grande River.

With everyone screaming, "Build the Wall" I'm surprised they don't have more help. Volunteer help. Free American labor, for our so called security.

I am personally against the wall. I'm against government NOT going after assets of the employers of these people and NOT ending Birth Right citizenship, the way it has been defined.

Seems the issue some areas is the border fencing is cuts off American land and even some US citizens that live right on the border. Also they depend on the commerce and flow of people back and forth across the border. There is also some Native American land that extends across the border in areas. I imagine if the American Indians do not agree to allow a wall to be put up on a reservation then it will remain open.

As far as volunteering, unless a foreign military storms the border with a infantry and heavy armored assault then don't expect to get many volunteers to visit a middle of no where desert. It is hard to find volunteers to help after Natural Disasters in non-remote locations with comfortable lodging near by.

Last edited by Daryl_G; 12-17-2019 at 10:12 AM..

Old 12-17-2019, 10:02 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Yeah, we all understand that the taxed country doesn't pay the tax itself, it is paid by the importer. And it can be passed down to the consumer. Bottom line is that since the first round of Chinese tariffs, the US Treasury's bottom line has increased by $22 Billion. So yes, the income created by the Tariffs with Mexico could be used to pay for the Border Barrier.......

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ier-basics.asp
The treasuries bottom line did not increase because Trump paid out $28 B to farmers hurt by his tariffs.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:08 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
93 miles? On a border that is 2000 miles long? Lmao. Ahh, Trump’s base is like watching a fish try to walk.
Illegal immigrants only pass through small sections of our border, usually closer to population centers. I imagine the 93 miles of new border wall are probably close to those border areas that are frequently crossed by illegals.

We don't need a wall along our entire border, since much of the area is empty desert.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:12 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Illegal immigrants only pass through small sections of our border, usually closer to population centers. I imagine the 93 miles of new border wall are probably close to those border areas that are frequently crossed by illegals.

We don't need a wall along our entire border, since much of the area is empty desert.
I dont know about you, but if I wanted to sneak into a country, I'd pick a quiet spot away from population centers to avoid detection. Kinda common sense......

Old 12-17-2019, 01:54 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,379,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I dont know about you, but if I wanted to sneak into a country, I'd pick a quiet spot away from population centers to avoid detection. Kinda common sense......
Until you go to these locations - kind of nothing for hundreds of miles but mountains, desert, surveillance balloons and border patrol.

Old 12-17-2019, 04:21 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Is that what we are doing? Flipping the metal fence to a metal wall then selling it to Mexico?

Honestly I don't think the wall will make much difference but I am not opposed to it either. At this point I am indifferent as I see more people overstaying VISA's in Florida or on perpetual work permits. I could argue about where the money should go but it would never get there. The government would likely build a submarine or something before shoring up SS or some other program.
We are talking about tall reinforced metal barriers that also have sensors in the ground not the flimsy chicken wire that we have in many places. If you can't see the difference then I can't help you. Those type of tall metal walls have already been built in shorter areas and they very effectively deterred illegal entry. So how can you say when we extend those types of walls along 1,000 miles of our border that it won't make a difference? The other 1,000 miles are nearly impassable terrain so fewer will try to enter in those areas and fewer will succeed. The Border Patrol can focus their efforts in those areas.

Visa over stayers are an entirely different ball of wax and will have to be dealt with in a different way but should we ignore the hundreds of thousand who have jumped and violated our southern border just in the past year? They are both a problem.

Border security should be a main priority as illegal immigration of those raping our country economically, criminals and terrorists getting into our country that way are and will be devastating to our country. Trump isn't building submarines he is building the wall!!!!!

Old 12-17-2019, 04:29 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:

Most Americans already have a job to feed their families and pay their bills. How can they go down to the border and build the wall? Many Americans don't live near the border either. You have to have people who are skilled at building walls to.

Why are you against the wall when it's already proven to work? That makes no sense to me. Good physical barriers, e-verify and ending the PC policy only of deeming the offspring of illegal aliens, birthright citizens and benefits are all a part of the solution.

Eminent Domain can be used and is being pursued in Texas and other places. Why kind of an American wouldn't give up a piece of their land to protect all Americans? Shouldn't we all seek the common good?

Old 12-17-2019, 05:26 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Common sense?

Have you ever been in the desert?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies