Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 04:24 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You could have sued. It happened to a white college-educated friend of mine: she had been working for for a federal agency for years, and when a higher-level job opened up, they gave it to a black high school-educated woman hired six months earlier, with significantly less experience. My friend sued, and won. She got the job, the back pay differential, and her pension was figured on the higher salary.

I wish I could sue! It was almost 20 years ago. That'd be a hell of a lot of back pay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 04:26 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
This is ridiculous. Of course, certain people are in here taking all the historical context out of affirmative action. I can't even take this topic serious. And of course we have the obligatory post about a "less qualified POC" getting a job over someone. When the reality is 1)you most likely have no idea what that person is qualified for and are just assuming they are less qualified based on "POC" and 2) Having a good resume, having a degree, or having a certification...or whatever doesn't entitle you to anything. It's a tough truth, that ironically many underemployed college education blacks have had to learn.

Affirmative Action is just a slight tilt of the playing to eventually get things in proper balance. White people have literally had every possible advantage in America and still cry about needed more help. Crazy.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:29 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,424,439 times
No

Old 12-18-2019, 04:30 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
White women are the group which benefits the MOST from Affirmative Action so I never understand why white people (men) complain about Affirmative Action when it ultimately benefits white households

Old 12-18-2019, 04:31 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Locking people up in a cage and holding them captive against their will is wrong!

Change my mind!
It's called defending rights. When someone violates rights and isn't punished then rights don't matter. Granted you need to get educated on the rights of the individual first.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It can be seen as racist, I suppose.

But it can just as easily be seen as necessary to repair past wrongs. And if you ask me how much longer should AA remain, I’ll say “as long as necessary.”
Because those who can't compete on a level playing field weren't raised well enough and taught properly. Much more common among those raised by a single parent.
As if bowing down to the slave masters is the thing to do.

Quote:
After all, how long was slavery, institutional racism and Jim Crow?
You're the one to ask being a democrat and the 3 things you mentioned were all democrats policies. Granted none of that exists today and has nothing to do with minorities not succeeding. It's just a crutch.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:43 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
So is nepotism and cronyism but white folks don't care about that because it benefits them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Affirmative Action is the bigotry of low expectations. Affirmative Action is only in place when everyone agrees that certain racial/ethnic groups under-perform others.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
White women are the group which benefits the MOST from Affirmative Action so I never understand why white people (men) complain about Affirmative Action when it ultimately benefits white households
The men and women who loose out to inferior candidates are the ones complaining. 70% of men aged 20-34 are not married
The majority of white men are not married.

So a white man looses a job to a white woman who is not his spouse and that man should be happy? hahahahahaha

If you actually researched just a bit and looked for the truth, you'd understand.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 12-18-2019 at 04:57 PM..

Old 12-18-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
I don’t know if it’s still necessary. If I had to guess, I’d say yes.

Slavery and Jim Crow is relevant now because it gave huge distinct advantages to whites for CENTURIES! That’s why. And it’s not fair to expect African Americans especially to make up lost opportunities over 400 plus years in just 40 or 50 years.

And there is no such thing as equal opportunity or equality in general.
Slavery, the democrats weapon, ended over 150 years ago not 40 or 50. Jim Crow, the democrats weapon, ended 70 years ago.

The problem was those who sold out to FDR and the slave owning democrats. The uncle toms. What's it called when whites sell out? Is that uncle tom too? The false race card players should be able to inform me.
Instead of becoming men, they became wards of the state. But not to worry as things are evening out. Granted the other races are slowly sinking vs blacks rising up but it's about equal results and not a good outcome right?

Able bodied, able minded adults take care of themselves. Children look to government.

Old 12-18-2019, 04:55 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
This is ridiculous. Of course, certain people are in here taking all the historical context out of affirmative action. I can't even take this topic serious. And of course we have the obligatory post about a "less qualified POC" getting a job over someone. When the reality is 1)you most likely have no idea what that person is qualified for and are just assuming they are less qualified based on "POC" and 2) Having a good resume, having a degree, or having a certification...or whatever doesn't entitle you to anything. It's a tough truth, that ironically many underemployed college education blacks have had to learn.

Affirmative Action is just a slight tilt of the playing to eventually get things in proper balance. White people have literally had every possible advantage in America and still cry about needed more help. Crazy.

Are you having trouble with reading comprehension? My sister-in-law worked in the department that hired this person and knew well my qualifications and how much less qualified the person who was who got the job, and had to work with a co-worker who was a screw-up. There was no comparison.

Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies