Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 01:03 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,361,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Ocean, I have never owned a pitbull. We are Maltese people and had the husky/shepherd mix because my son could no longer keep him. Last time I looked up the statistics a year ago it’s as I stated. I was almost killed once by a shepherd that jumped his 6 ft fence. My husband saved me and the dog knocked him down and was going for his throat. We threatened to sue the owners if they didn’t put him down because the subdivision was full of small children. I have no clue if this dog had been abused. There are no bad breeds.
Where are these statistics? Can you give us a link? Are they backed up by police reports and news articles or are they just based on feelings and personal stories? I gave a link to a site that provides thoroughly researched statistics with proof to back them up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 01:07 PM

1,711 posts, read 809,525 times
No dog will kill someone, until they do.

Ok, they are great pets (until they arent).

Why risk it when you can get a breed that has very little risk? Is it to prove something?

Old 12-22-2019, 01:10 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
No dog will kill someone, until they do.

Ok, they are great pets (until they arent).

Why risk it when you can get a breed that has very little risk? Is it to prove something?
Many people think owning a pit bull makes them more macho.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:13 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,934,109 times
I love all dogs and have met many sweet loving pit bulls in my job. That being said, I too have been viciously bitten by a pit bull and would NEVER want to experience that pain again. You simply would not believe how powerful those jaws are, and he was just a medium sized one. Of course, the homeowner stated that he had never bitten anyone before. Like that helps.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:20 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,385,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
But you always have to be careful. Many stories of pitbull owners who had no problems for years and then the dog suddenly attacked, usually the owner or their family.
I think one has to be careful with any dog, since they're dogs. In her case, the beagle and Weimaraner are dominant both physically and behaviorally.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:25 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,303 times
Pit bulls are responsible for 84 percent of all serious maulings and the vast majority of deaths by dog attacks. They are a dangerous breed. Anyone that says otherwise is ignorant. The fact that other breeds can be dangerous doesn't negate the fact that pit bulls are a seriously dangerous animal.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:26 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,526,250 times
The problem is that there are too many irresponsible owners of dogs who let them run loose, don't properly socialize them, don't properly exercise them, fail to spay or neuter. While you can get away with that with small breeds, large breeds or fighting breeds (pb, german sheps, cane corsos, rotties etc) can cause severe injuries or death if they attack someone.
In addition, there is a subset of owners that get a pb solely to make it mean, so they can feel macho like a gang thug. So when those dogs get loose, they react in an aggressive manner.
I'd like to see harsher penalties for people who have dogs that are not contained such as large fine or community service 1st offense, 30 days jail time on 2nd offense and seizure of the dogs owned by that person and ban on them owning dogs for 10 yrs. If a dog mauls a person and it was loose, jail time for owner for a yr lifetime ban on dog ownership. If a death occurs due to loose dog, 10 yr prison sentence and lifetime ban on owning dogs.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:39 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,361,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many people think owning a pit bull makes them more macho.
That's true, but I think more and more people today are getting pits because they think it means they are open-minded, loving people that are immune to devious anti-pit propaganda, when in truth it means they've fallen under the spell of dishonest pit-pusher propaganda and closed their minds to facts.

I'm well aware that pit bulls can be cute, sweet, loving, goofy dogs. I've been around lots of them, petted them, taken them on walks, etc. I liked the majority of the ones I've met. But I'm not willing to turn my brain off to their potential danger just to prove that that I'm open minded when the facts show otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
The problem is that there are too many irresponsible owners of dogs who let them run loose, don't properly socialize them, don't properly exercise them, fail to spay or neuter. While you can get away with that with small breeds, large breeds or fighting breeds (pb, german sheps, cane corsos, rotties etc) can cause severe injuries or death if they attack someone..
Properly socialized pit bulls kill their owners and other family members often. So do Rottweilers.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:47 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,776,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Not allowed there by the rules.
That's almost as dumb as owning pit bulls.

To the owners of the sweet, loving pit bulls who claim it's the way the dog is raised as the reason he would randomly attack, let me ask you how many more deaths and injuries will it take to change your minds? There is something in the DNA of that breed that is highly unpredictable and may never surface or maybe surface only one time but the one time could very well be fatal. People have the tendency to believe bad things won't happen to them, it's always someone else, but that someone else would be you at any given moment. Taking the risk and gambling your life over a dog is one thing, but to risk the lives of other people really worth this much to you?

I've seen some sweet pit bulls although I don't interact with them. I would be in favor of putting down the entire breed and you bet I would feel bad about it because it's not the dogs fault. The breed was created to produce a fighting dog and the dog has no control over his genes, regardless if he is raised to be a fighting dog or a home pet, the breeding is intact. It's sad, but it is what it is.

Old 12-22-2019, 01:49 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,629,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I've seen this happen too many times. That breed should be banned and extinguished. They're a menace to society.
They have been banned since 1989 in Miami Dade county when a pit bull jumped over his fence and started mauling the head of a 5 year old playing in his front yard. The boy survived but had to have reconstructive surgery to his scalp.
If you are found with a pit bull you face a $500 fine and up to 6 months in jail and the dog will be euthanized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies