Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2019, 11:48 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,361,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
The vast majority of pit bull owners are either abusive and/or neglectful losers or are naive do-gooders who adopt pit bulls previously ruined psychologically by said losers, and are simply unable to actually control them when needed.
And with all the dishonest pro-pit propaganda being spread around these days, the naive do-gooders numbers are increasing exponentially, and so are the number of people getting killed by pit bulls. Hmm, could there be a correlation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
When you read about pit bull attacks, the root cause is more times then not the owners mistake and/or fault. Leaving the gate open, not maintaining proper containment for the dog, teaching the dog to be aggressive. Abusing the dog. Leaving the dog unattended around little kids, babies, or adults that the dog isn't accustom to, and so on.
All breeds have bad owners that do those things but only a few breeds kill people. Would it hurt that much to admit that breeding plays a part in a dog's behavior? We know that we can breed for retrieving. Why is it such a stretch to believe we can breed a dog that specializes in killing? We believe it when it comes to fox terriers, which were bred to kill rats. Why can't we believe it about pit bulls, which were bred to kill bulls? Is it because they are so loving? Aren't rat terriers loving too. The two aren't mutually exclusive. A dog can be loving and enjoy killing.

Last edited by Angry-Koala; 12-23-2019 at 12:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 11:52 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,131,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I was walking at night for exercise. I always carry a bat for protection. The owner watched his pit come after me and try to jump on me snarling. So I hit it with a bat.
I had reported the dog before but animal control ignored it. Now I carry a gun, and would just shoot it.
You can carry a loaded gun around where you live? Man, I need to move there! Your story above shows right there that the dog's owner is the root cause of your pit pull issue. Any responsible pit bull owner wouldn't have that type of dog off a leash in public.

Yeah, we have elderly people in our area who walk around with stuff like a golf putter or a wooden cane with a super heavy duty metal handle at the end. I too have been a little worried at times walking around late at night or super early in the morning. Not necessarily because of a dog, but also we sometimes get mountain lions in our area.

Old 12-23-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
No matter that the breed tends to be more aggressive and kill the most people?
I think you're half right. It's not what breed tends to be aggressive, but more so which one is most capable of killing. Chihuahua's in my opinion are the most aggressive dogs. I've never met a Chihuahua that didn't snap, snarl, bark, etc. at me when walked past it. Pit bull's on the other hand, if they attack for whatever reason, it's usually not going to end well for the person(s) being attacked.

Old 12-23-2019, 12:28 PM

27,660 posts, read 16,151,349 times
This could go on every few days:
https://www.ketv.com/article/somerse...-says/30306904
Quote:
Woman fatally mauled by family dog while having seizure

and yes, it was a S*bull

Old 12-23-2019, 12:48 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
I think you're half right. It's not what breed tends to be aggressive, but more so which one is most capable of killing. Chihuahua's in my opinion are the most aggressive dogs. I've never met a Chihuahua that didn't snap, snarl, bark, etc. at me when walked past it. Pit bull's on the other hand, if they attack for whatever reason, it's usually not going to end well for the person(s) being attacked.

I've been bitten by chihuahuas three times in the last couple of years. We used to live in upscale apartments where owners liked to walk their dogs in the evening. Last summer one pulled the leash out of owner's hand and ran up and nipped my leg. I ran to a tree, jumped up and grabbed a branch, and wrapped my legs around the trunk. It must have looked hilarious to others, a grown man running and climbing a tree to escape a 10 pound oversized rat. But the alternative was to hurt the dog.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:07 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,179,117 times
Quote:
Sure you did. Probably just like the aluminum one in the Primus music video...right?

Actually, in the real world, if the dog is not mistreated and/or taught to be aggressive, they won't be. I myself wouldn't own a pit bull but, I've been around them quite a bit and if they are raised and trained by the right type of people, they are very loving dogs.

The problem is, they don't know their own strength (so to speak). They may not intend to hurt people, but, their jaws are like very powerful pieces of equipment. For this, they have the potential to cause serious injury and/or death. They have to be respected, like all animals with the same potential.

My neighbor has a pit bull that they've had since it was a young puppy. Very cute and grew into a very athletic and powerful dog. They had his nads removed maybe at around 8 or 9 months old. He's a big baby and will slobber all over you. But again, he's got to be respected. If I were to attack his owners, that pit bull would chew me in two in a split second.
The bold statement in your response is incorrect. Some breeds and the "lines" of some breeds are by their very nature aggressive....regardless of how they are trained. Just to be clear....there are crazy dogs out there...had to deal with them more than once.

I've spent time around Pits and most are actually quite friendly....lap dogs that love to be around their people. My girlfriend's 4 year old Pit that she got as a puppy was very well trained and NEVER showed any signs of aggression. Then one day, while walking it down the street (as she had done hundreds of times) it attacked a passer-by without warning. It literally happened in milliseconds. The person was bit 16 times and had to be hospitalized. The dog, of course, was put down.

Personally I believe there are better choices available to most people that want a dog.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:15 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,708 times
Ban these dogs. Nobody needs to own one. And I think it's silly for people to try to compare these attacks to other breeds or even other animals. I think I hear of like 4 pitbull attacks a month, and that's not even from looking for these stories, just from them happening all the time.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
Ban these dogs. Nobody needs to own one. And I think it's silly for people to try to compare these attacks to other breeds or even other animals. I think I hear of like 4 pitbull attacks a month, and that's not even from looking for these stories, just from them happening all the time.
I read about at least four murders a week happening in big cities such as like Chicago. And that's not even from looking for these stories, just from them happening all the time. What's doing the killings there?

Old 12-23-2019, 01:31 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,708 times
Quote:
I read about at least four murders a week happening in big cities such as like Chicago. And that's not even from looking for these stories, just from them happening all the time. What's doing the killings there?
what are you even trying to equate here? I'm a dog owner and no dog life is equal to a human life. But since you want to run with this idiotic attempt, street dudes in Chicago are mostly killing each other, pitbulls are kill people. See the difference?

Old 12-23-2019, 02:17 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times
When I see people showing pictures of how adorable and loving their pit is all I can think of is that dog is going to eat that baby one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies