Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2020, 09:43 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Interesting articles. I am not surprised to find that a lot of dogs are misidentified as pit bulls. Personally, the only one of those that I might misidentify as a Pit Bull is Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but that is really six of one half a dozen of the other, as the Pit Bull is a direct descendant. In fact, most people incorrectly believe them to be one in the same.

From what I have seen come to our operating room, which is by definition, anecdotal, is that dogs identified as Pit Bulls have been involved in a disproportionate amount of attacks. But keep in mind, a simple dog bite is not usually going to come to the operating room. Only the worst attacks are bad enough to require surgery.

But the breeds aggressiveness is only part of the equation. The other part is, how much damage can the dog do? I have read that most aggressive breed is the Chihuahua. But a Chihuahua is limited in the amount of damage it can do to a human, where as the bigger, stronger breeds dont have those limitations.
On the topic of bite power:

https://petcomments.com/ten-dogs-whi...strongest-bite

Right between Labs and Great Danes, and a LONG way from the top of the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 01:18 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,188,037 times
So what? ALL the bully breeds are a problem. Cane corsos, American Staffordshire Terriers... and what's worse, is when they become dog or cat aggressive. I've read several stories when a bully breed got loose by mistake and killed an unsuspecting neighbor's dog. They just want to kill these other creatures just because they exist and have been seen.

I had a friend with an AmStaff terrier, and she was small dog aggressive and couldn't be broken of her mindset. What a headache it was to take her on walks. We always had to on high alert, to see the other dogs in the area before her dog did, then make any course corrections necessary.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:39 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
What is it with Pit Bull-type breeds making the news so often for dog attacks?
Pit bull attacks make the news because they do so much damage and many times, those dogs have to be shot to death in order to stop the attack.

1. I still remember the new story about the woman in CT who was attacked by her son's pit bull (raised from puppyhood). She tried to escape the dog and had crawled underneath a car. The dog was able to grab her arm and... tore it completely off at the elbow!

2. Another woman last year also lost her arm to her neighbor's pit bull.

3. A makeup artist from the tv show Grimm had a pit bull raised from puppyhood. One night, she was watching tv with her dog next to her on the sofa. He suddenly snapped and bit her in the face, she lost a chunk of her lip.

4. One particularly tragic news story involved a woman adopting a pit bull that had been vetted by the dog rescue for THREE months and been deemed fine to be rehomed. She brought the dog home, and the dog immediately ran up the stairs in her house and... killed her elderly mother. In what world is an elderly woman seen as a challenge or threat to a dog?

5. Who can forget the young woman killed by her two pet pit bulls while taking them for a walk in the woods?

6. In Lawrence, MA, a boy was pulled into a fenced area by a pair of pit bulls and killed, while neighbors were helpless to save him.

7. A woman I know, middle-aged, very intelligent and not at all ghetto-like had two dogs, a neutered male pit bull and spayed female mixed breed, both raised by her from puppyhood. One day, in the hallway of her house, her 7-year old pit bull suddenly snapped and viciously attacked the female dog. Completely unprovoked, no food or toy was involved. After taking the female dog to the emergency vet, she had the male dog put down. She said that she could never trust that dog again.

And yes, other breeds like Great Danes and huskies have been known to attack, maim and kill adults and children, but not nearly as often as pit bulls and other bully breeds. Needless to say, bully breeds are not allowed on my property, ever.

On the C-D forum in the dog section, a female member who loves her pit bulls commented that every time her dogs rough housed in play, she could count on a little blood being drawn. Wow. I've had a LOT of dogs as pets, and not one of them has ever gotten bloody while playing with the others.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:48 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,718,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Possibly, but the difference is the jaw of the pitbull and similar breeds. It can lock on once it gets a grip in a way that other breeds can't making it far more deadly. I learned this from Judge Judy. 99 percent of her dog attack cases involve pit bulls.
This myth was debunked years ago. Pitbulls do not have locking jaws. There is no difference between the jaws of a pitbull and any other mastiff breed.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:32 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
NO, Pitbulls do not have locking-jaws. But many, many Pitbulls have in them what is considered
gameness.....a very, very strong drive to complete a certain task. That task may involve attacking another animal or human.

I have watched videos of Pitbulls being matched against Turkish Kangals. At the start, most times it looks like a total mismatch, the truly massive, smart and athletic Kangal easily thrashing the Pitbull. But the Pitbull will keep coming and coming.......and these matches sometimes go on for over and hour, the Pitbull sometimes wins through sheer desire to keep fighting, eventually wearing-down the Kangal.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:04 PM
miu

Pit bulls don't have "locking jaws" but they are very muscular dogs and it is extremely difficult to open their jaws once they are in a determined biting mode. So locking or not, it can take a strong stick inserted into the side of their mouth in order to pry their jaws open.

So if it is that difficult to break their biting grip, who cares what the correct terminology is?

And who wants a "fur baby" that is all muscle? That is just crazy talk.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:11 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
Good excuse to pack some heat. Give one of those dogs a third eye hole, I bet she'd still be alive.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:37 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Good excuse to pack some heat. Give one of those dogs a third eye hole, I bet she'd still be alive.
I've heard tell of Pit type dogs living through being head shot. Wouldn't shock me any to see. A deputy told me about one such that he hit close range in the head with a 357 that stayed up and moving.

That's pretty bad azz. I've come across all kinds of nasty dogs over the decades. Bull breeds represented the biggest numbers but for shear ornery working cattle dogs, namely Queenslands, I think were the plumb meanest.

For no bigger than they are, 50 pounds is is a big one, they are 110% attitude. Never cared for them, I used Corgis with my cattle. They could also be used for sheep. Not so with Queenslands. They are way to rough and aggressive. They will hurt sheep.

They'll hurt anything and anybody. They dont discriminate.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:40 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,043,473 times
I have a pit mix. Sorry, not going to euthanize my beloved dog because some people on the internet are afraid of her.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:46 PM

17,670 posts, read 6,928,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
I have a pit mix. Sorry, not going to euthanize my beloved dog because some people on the internet are afraid of her.
I can sympathize with this. I won't give up my guns because some left wing librarians are afraid of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies