Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 03:54 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,164,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There are 3.6 million pitbulls in the US, 203 people were killed in a ten year period, that is a 0.0005% chance of death by a pitbull over a ten year period, it is even a lower percent any given year.

Now, go compare that with other things.
I am more worried about flesh being torn without anesthesia my hands being crushed by a pet as seen on TV. And I don't carry equipment like a trained experienced animal control officer does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 04:30 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
There are 3.6 million pitbulls in the US, 203 people were killed in a ten year period, that is a 0.0005% chance of death by a pitbull over a ten year period, it is even a lower percent any given year.

Looking at all dog attacks Pits or mongrel bull breeds more like it, account for the greatest percentage. But these are also the most common type of dog. Theres just way more of them than anything else.

So the numbers are t all that surprising. Temperament wise I still say Queensland Heelers are the worst. Mongrel bull breeds a bit of a runner up there.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:45 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:

To contrast with swimming pools, there are over 7000 drownings each year, 80% of those in swimming pools or spas.

There is about 11 million swimming pools, no idea how many spas, but if we double this to 22 million pools and spas, and this is per year, that is a 0.0003% a year, if want to use the ten year period, that would be 56,000 drownings in pools or spas, for a 0.2% chance of this happening. That is by far a much, much larger danger than a pitbull is.

Not advocating anything, other than I am not understanding why the hype exists. There are numerous worse things to put resources into. If anything, the stats show pitbulls are remarkably safe.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:59 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,118,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I have never understood the large dog craze going on. Large dogs kill and injure many people annually. But let's obsess over a very low risk of illness due to cat poop.
Whoa whoa easy there. My 120 lb great Dane great pyranees mix will be the most docile dog you have ever met. All he wants is to be petted by everyone, regardless of if you're someone he knows or total stranger.
Attached Thumbnails
Three pit bulls kill texas woman, severely injure another in 'vicious' dog attack-20200216_185758.jpg  

Old 02-16-2020, 05:05 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,557,147 times
Any large dog can be dangerous. You have to be able to control it. Being older now I wouldn’t get any large dog. 6 years ago we took my son’s husky/shepherd that was 9. We knew him well and could control him. I loved having a big dog but sadly he has passed and we own little ones now.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Any large dog can be dangerous. You have to be able to control it. Being older now I wouldn’t get any large dog. 6 years ago we took my son’s husky/shepherd that was 9. We knew him well and could control him. I loved having a big dog but sadly he has passed and we own little ones now.
When I was a young man, early 20s, I had a dog that was a real handful. A coydog. Theres a good pic of him in my profile.

When he was younger I really had to watch him. I was the only one who could control him and he would test limits. He was dangerous especially if I was t around. I had to securely kennel him if I left him somewhere separated from me.

As he aged he mellowed out. I got married to a gal with three young kids a d he adapted and socialized. The family was his pack. He would watch over the kids when they were outside playing and they could not have been safer.

I pity the fool that would have tried to do anything untoward whilst he was on duty. But I was still the only one he would respond to commands from. That never changed.

He would not eat until I told him it was OK and if he went into guard mode he would only stand down for me. He was the best dog I've ever had by my side.

Highly intelligent, fast, strong and I spared no effort in training him. I had a couple close calls with him with uninvited guests. If he knew you it was fine. Friends and family.

Strangers not so much. A couple Mormon missionaries did not heed my dog in yard sign on my closed and latched gate o e daywhen he was outside. I got to the door and stood him down just in time.

People can be quite dense. Another couple of seconds hed of had them. But he heeded my commands. It was something I instilled in him young. Good thing for those two missionaries.

I would not take on raising another dog like him now. I'm to old fer that. My Corgi is just fine now. An ani.al such as my coydog is a big responsibility and a LOT of grueling work. An animal like that is not for anyone. It's a serious commitment.

That's something that so many flip dicks dont get with these mongrel bull breeds or any serious dog. You cant just get such an animal, keep it on a chain or in a pen and forget about them except when they want to show off their "bad azz" dog.

Yea, the one they never spent a minute training and socializing. The one that has not memorized a single command and listens about as well as a rock.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:18 PM

74 posts, read 36,266 times
Pit bull owners......black gangbangers,drug dealers, white trash losers.How many pitties do you see in nice neighborhoods?

Old 02-16-2020, 06:42 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
SOME Dog-owners get a real rise out of being passive-aggressive via their large, aggressive, dangerous dog.

Doggo attacks or intimidates some innocent person and Doggo-owner puts-out a feeble "so sorry", while actually getting a rise out of what they have done.

Humans LOVE having power and control over other humans, it makes them feel more significant.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:45 PM

5,862 posts, read 3,302,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiam2000 View Post
Pit bull owners......black gangbangers,drug dealers, white trash losers.How many pitties do you see in nice neighborhoods?
I live in a really nice upper class neighborhood. There are a few that have them. Totally ignorant post on your part and down right racist.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
SOME Dog-owners get a real rise out of being passive-aggressive via their large, aggressive, dangerous dog.

Doggo attacks or intimidates some innocent person and Doggo-owner puts-out a feeble "so sorry", while actually getting a rise out of what they have done.

Humans LOVE having power and control over other humans, it makes them feel more significant.
That's just it. As you say they have such an animal only as a status symbol. The animal is not trained often mistreated and just there for looks.

Not a dog. A liability. A bomb waiting to go off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies