Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 09:04 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times

Advertisements

There is no part of this which is not sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 09:16 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,367,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Agreed. When "soft" targets are being hit, the best way to combat that is by making those targets a bit less "soft" and make it harder for the would be mass murderer to determine if it is even a "soft" target to begin with. I can guarantee you that if this guy knew he was walking into a room that had 6 armed people that would kill him in 2 seconds, he'd have picked a different target. Also, now that others know how many armed churchgoers show up, it's VERY unlikely that church will ever be targeted again.
This!

And in case there are folks here who want to shoot up a synagogue, mine at least, is HEAVILY armed both inside and out. Bad guy would also get no more than 2-6 seconds before being riddled with bullets.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:18 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Though of course I wish the police department would go ahead and release names, it's not uncommon for names of victims or perpetrators to be withheld for a few days:

Here's an example from some other state:
https://kwwl.com/2019/11/25/police-i...g-in-waterloo/

Here's an interesting article on the actual laws that some states have passed which allow the names of victims to be withheld (note - Texas is not one of the states with such laws):
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nt/2670172002/

And here's an interesting article for journalists on withholding names of either victims or perpetrators:
https://ethics.journalists.org/topic...d-information/

Another interesting article about naming perpetrators:
https://qz.com/1635211/why-police-wo...rs-name-again/

It hasn't been 24 hours yet so though I am eager to learn the identities of the shooter and victims, I am not inclined to think there's something weird about the lack of names so far.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:21 AM

One victim's family speaks out, so we do know the identity of one of the victims - Anton Wallace, aged 64. Rest in peace, Mr. Wallace:
https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/da...s-out/2283486/

Old 12-30-2019, 09:40 AM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
Now even sadder.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Now even sadder.
Yep, the only thing that would make it worse would be more victims. It's not a pleasant news story.

It also wasn't pleasant for our pastor to have to speak to the congregation about church safety and security after the Sutherland Springs church shooting. I felt sorry for him having to address this sad issue.

Also, I know many of the folks on our church's security team and I can't help but realize that honestly, they are putting their lives on the line when they take that volunteer position and go through the training. I feel so sad about the guy who was a member of the security team who was killed as he approached the shooter.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:52 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Agreed. When "soft" targets are being hit, the best way to combat that is by making those targets a bit less "soft" and make it harder for the would be mass murderer to determine if it is even a "soft" target to begin with. I can guarantee you that if this guy knew he was walking into a room that had 6 armed people that would kill him in 2 seconds, he'd have picked a different target. Also, now that others know how many armed churchgoers show up, it's VERY unlikely that church will ever be targeted again.
I doubt it. The guy was committing suicide as well as murder. That sort of person is seeking a violent confrontation.

A metal detector gate like court houses have would probably be more effective against a suicidal nut with a gun.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I doubt it. The guy was committing suicide as well as murder. That sort of person is seeking a violent confrontation.

A metal detector gate like court houses have would probably be more effective against a suicidal nut with a gun.
Honestly, I don't see metal detectors in the future for most houses of worship.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:57 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Indeed!

And, sadly, this could have been a blue city within a red state all the same. I honestly for the life of me can't understand why anyone would rationally oppose law abiding citizens carrying in church and elsewhere, especially when your "gun free zone" signs aren't going to stop bad guys from carrying and attempting to commit mass murder
I'm not sure if we've had a church shooting in a blue state yet. People in blue states don't usually carry guns and definitely wouldn't take them to church. Funny how it's the gun fetish states that have all the church shootings.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:58 AM

30,651 posts, read 18,249,084 times
If you notice from the video, the other law abiding, carrying citizens who rush to aid the hero who took out the terrorist aren't shooting each other in confusion like the anti-gun crowds say will happen in situations like this where multiple guns are on the scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53hleVLARbE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies