Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 10:48 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
In the top 7 in the nation is "not really"? Or for 2018, number 3? https://www.cbsnews.com/news/propert...y-the-highest/ WHen I escaped they were the worst in the nation-it seems like some other states have gotten as bad. NJ was always notorious as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 11:00 PM

10,486 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
In the top 7 in the nation is "not really"? Or for 2018, number 3? https://www.cbsnews.com/news/propert...y-the-highest/ WHen I escaped they were the worst in the nation-it seems like some other states have gotten as bad. NJ was always notorious as well.
All I can say is, my family moved from NY to Florida because of the taxes, cost of living and the lack of jobs at the time. They came from a small coal mining town, that was forced to shut down thanks to the EPA act. Dad then became a carpenter, but then regulations started to take their toll, combined with little work and high heating bills during the winter months and dad decided to move to Florida, where he did much better.

And, the company I work for also used to be on Long Island, Ny, and the high cost of taxes and regulations also made Florida a better fit.

Old 01-19-2020, 11:07 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Correct. Not really. It's probably more accurate to say that you're just wrong. "above average" is a great description. Average is 1.12%, NYS is 1.68% and the highest is 2.44%.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:21 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
The problem is these people leave but they don’t leave their liberalism views that destroyed NY.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/01...ving-new-york/
I thought it was California? You're not going to be the anti New York poster are you?

Old 01-20-2020, 12:25 AM

8,506 posts, read 4,750,085 times
I mean...NY kinda sucks, but I’m moving up there for reasons other than straight up political nonsense. I don’t look forward to it, but hey, it’s gotta be what it’s gotta be.

My ideal place is a libertarian California with legal weed, tons of immigrants, no welfare, and no taxes, but nobody’s going to get their ideal place.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:53 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
People are using demographic data to target liberals fail to see why the issue of New York continues and will continue all across the nation.

The Demographic decline of New York has nothing to do with politics but everything to do with demographic data.

https://www.pewresearch.org/hispanic...atinoyouth-09/
First of the fastest growing demographic group in the country Hispanics are something around 62% Mexican which is one of the fastest growing Hispanic groups. Caribbeans and South Americans are generally the slowest. New York's Latino population is 13.6% Mexican compared to a 62% national average. The biggest Latino Group is Puerto Ricans at 31%, they have declining birth rate, one of the lowest in the world of 1.1 kids per woman as of 2017.

So unlike other states like Texas and California that can rely on strong mostly Mexican growth in the big cities, New York's former biggest group are unreliable and so are other Caribbeans like New York's new biggest group Dominicans. Now Dominicans have a higher birth rate than Puerto Ricans but do to being a very urban population at 40% of all Dominicans living in NYC and 20% living in the Bronx. So their birth rates are likely falling faster than most groups, since cities tend to lower birth rates dramatically especially hyper-urban ones like NYC.

In fact the infertility of Hispanics in NYC is so large that Asians, specifically Chinese are now the fastest growing group in the state.

The White population isn't any better than the Latino population- New York state's average age is 38.7, this is with
1. out-migration of Old people to Florida
2. Relative youth of NYC, which is still old compared to many cities.
Compare it to the non-urban New England/Mid-Atlantic like Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire Pennsylvania. Upstate of New York which is almost wholly responsible for the decline is in the mid 40s for White Americans.
https://www.businessinsider.com/stat...ge-map-2018-11

2. "lack" of Religiosity, which is the reason for the high average age as well as the low birth rate that caused the high median age problem. New York has a fertility rate of 1.67 combined with a high average age, New York's population was going to decline with zero migration between states, meaning, no-one has to leave and no-one has to come NY's population would fall. Take in mind that fertility is slightly inflated because while the state is irreligious, NYC is home to "birthing for citizenship" and the state has a high Orthodox Jewish and Amish population that have much higher fertility rate than general population.

Now add the invention of the AC, Florida's service car industry especially for the old and cost of living due to having the largest economic engine in the world bar "Tokyo" inside their state, then it's easy to see why NY States population is declining. If we look at every state and there was no migration between states 2/3rds of the U.S would be declining in numbers. Most of those Western states are only growing because of migration.

Now COL has nothing to do with liberalism (correlation not causation), because a lot of wealthy people in certain industries are Liberals rather than Liberal policies specifically or else we wouldn't be seeing this same trend across the world in every large city (10 million+)- L.A and NYC are expensive because their desirable and large same with SF. Their so large especially in LA and NYC's case, that even if developers/government want to lower prices their is no empty space of land within a commutable distance to jobs that developers could flood with affordable homes. Throw in good ole American NIMBY-ism and cost of living becomes high within 50 miles of the city which spreads to other areas.

LA MSA literally stopped growing, not because it stop growing, Inland Empire which is just inland more affordable (read poorer) L.A and will be added into the Metro area statistically eventually is in the top 5-10 fastest growing areas of the country for the last decade, L.A ran out of space and redevelopment could never amount to the amount you could lower COL just by building more.

Now you can throw in taxes but the demographics of New York are terrible for growth. Slow Growth Hispanic population, which fuels Texas/Cali and SW/West's growth. high average age which The South and The West specifically Utah, Texas, Georgia, Florida (once you factor out the very old Southern half skewing the numbers), Alabama, SC. Fertility rate is low which again fuels growth in the Western half of the country. It was always going to be the worst sufferer being the msot populous state in the Midwest/Northeast/ Rust Belt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...fertility_rate

Old 01-20-2020, 04:29 AM

10,179 posts, read 11,168,640 times
I love NY for various Reasons, but Moved out in 1999.. Family still lives there.

NY is a big a$$ State remember that... I grew up 40 minutes from the Bronx.

I'll never move back - but it will forever be home.

The state I live in Now - I pay higher Sales Tax... I pay personal property tax. Tax on groceries, etc. NY does not have that. Sure, the housing might be cheaper elsewhere - but you'll pay on other things. My property tax is comparable, considering.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:57 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,255,779 times
They are leaving New York for the Philadelphia region as well and they bring with them their bed driving and their nasty New York attitude as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
The problem is these people leave but they don’t leave their liberalism views that destroyed NY.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/01...ving-new-york/

Old 01-20-2020, 07:09 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
I left NYC for Florida’s gulf coast 4yrs ago. Taxes, cost of living, and loony left wing politics is what drove me out. Good riddance!

Old 01-20-2020, 09:40 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
I couldn't live in New York City. I look at taxes like this. You take the good with the bad. I'm not thrilled to pay taxes, but as long as my tax dollars are going to the right places, I understand. Fund a very good public transportation system. Make sure the schools run right. But when it gets out of hand, like it has in New York, it doesn't help. NYC would break me like nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies