Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 07:53 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
No air war in Vietnam?

What nonsense.
It bit Gump on his buttock, and LBJ saw it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 07:54 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Listen to all you manly men and your 80's Reagan era chest thumping. No lessons learned from Iraq or Afghanistan, not a shred of emotional maturity, all macho posturing and crypto-sexual fantasies about blowing people up. Oh, pictures of planes, I am so excited now!!

Old 01-07-2020, 07:57 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Yesterday, the U.S. Air Force sent six B-52 Stratofortress bombers to Diego Garcia, an atoll in the middle of the Indian Ocean used by the US to launch bomber missions to the Middle East and Asia.

Stars and Stripes: Six B-52 Bombers Heading to Indian Ocean Amid Iran Tensions

Military.com: Air Force Sends B-52 Bombers to Diego Garcia Amid Middle East Buildup

The U.S. Air Force recently installed the new Heavy Release Capability (HRC) pylons onto the the B-52H bombers. These HD pylons would allow the BUFFs to carry multiple 20,000-pound class weapons - that means any bomb or missile the service currently has in inventory, and could be a prelude to integrating new weapons, such as air-launched hypersonic cruise missiles, onto the bombers in the future.

We already have bombers in the region: B-1B Lancer supersonic, variable-sweep wing, heavy bombers are stationed at Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar, directly across the Gulf from Iran. (you can actually see them on Google Earth).

Hopefully Iran will NOT escalate the tensions following the US hit on their Top Terrorist, and instead come back to the table to negotiate a solution to their nuclear weapons ambitions. The US now has the upper hand, and is playing with an advantage.

But if Iran isn't open to diplomacy, and decides to use military force, it will give President Trump the justification to also use military force, another Shock & Awe. And this time it will be decisive with technology and weapons unheard of the last time. My guess is that once the the USAF has achieved air superiority, it will use the B-52s loading a 20,000-pound GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast MOAB ("Mother of All Bombs") under each wing, and one GBU-57A/B Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP), a precision-guided, 30,000-pound (14,000 kg) "bunker buster" bomb internally. The BUFFS could then lumber in and use these truly awesome weapons to penetrate and destroy Iran's fortified underground nuclear industry.

Trump is playing hard ball - the only way the barbarians in the Middle East know how to play!

Please read my thesis on: President Trump’s End Game Plan for the Middle East!

Dang! I thought they retired all the B-52's??? Those birds are relics now. Last ones built in 1962, I believe. In 1992, I swore they destroyed all but a very few in Bill Clinton's Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty(huge mistake)

Old 01-07-2020, 08:17 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Dang! I thought they retired all the B-52's??? Those birds are relics now. Last ones built in 1962, I believe. In 1992, I swore they destroyed all but a very few in Bill Clinton's Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty(huge mistake)
Far from it: the US Air Force plans to keep the remaining 76 B-52Hs in service through 2050, with some almost flying until 2061 - making it the longest serving warplane in history, serving longer than even the newer B-1 and B-2 bombers!

Popular Mechanics: The B-52 Will Fly and Fight for 100 Years!

We really got a Bang for our Buck with the BUFF!

Old 01-07-2020, 08:18 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
We bombed the shxt out of Vietnam and it didn't force them to negotiate or to knuckle under.
Arguably, it did. Operation Linebacker II in 1972 was Nixon's Christmas "maximum" bombing campaign focused on Hanoi and Haiphong in order to get N. Vietnam back to the Paris peace talks. Prior to this I think these areas were off-limits to bomb.
N. Vietnam indeed did agree to resume negotiation (although they would claim it was not due to the bombing) and Nixon then ended the bombing campaign.

I don't see this as related to the strategic geopolitical situation in Iran at all however.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Arguably, it did. Operation Linebacker II in 1972 was Nixon's Christmas "maximum" bombing campaign focused on Hanoi and Haiphong in order to get N. Vietnam back to the Paris peace talks. Prior to this I think these areas were off-limits to bomb.
N. Vietnam indeed did agree to resume negotiation (although they would claim it was not due to the bombing) and Nixon then ended the bombing campaign.

I don't see this as related to the strategic geopolitical situation in Iran at all however.
And US lost 26 aircraft, including 15 B-52s.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:31 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And US lost 26 aircraft, including 15 B-52s.
The B-52 has plenty of uses, but it's not invisible. Over heavily defended areas (like Iran) I wouldn't take the chance. After all, there are stealth aircraft that can wiggle in and do what needs to be done.
The B-52 has a range of 8000 miles! So, actually, they didn't need to be moved at all. America is just sending a message.
Maybe Iran will receive the message, maybe not. I hope they do, and I hope all Iranian military personnel stay in Iran where they will be safe.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:33 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Yesterday, the U.S. Air Force sent six B-52 Stratofortress bombers to Diego Garcia, an atoll in the middle of the Indian Ocean used by the US to launch bomber missions to the Middle East and Asia.

Stars and Stripes: Six B-52 Bombers Heading to Indian Ocean Amid Iran Tensions

Military.com: Air Force Sends B-52 Bombers to Diego Garcia Amid Middle East Buildup

The U.S. Air Force recently installed the new Heavy Release Capability (HRC) pylons onto the the B-52H bombers. These HD pylons would allow the BUFFs to carry multiple 20,000-pound class weapons - that means any bomb or missile the service currently has in inventory, and could be a prelude to integrating new weapons, such as air-launched hypersonic cruise missiles, onto the bombers in the future.

We already have bombers in the region: B-1B Lancer supersonic, variable-sweep wing, heavy bombers are stationed at Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar, directly across the Gulf from Iran. (you can actually see them on Google Earth).

Hopefully Iran will NOT escalate the tensions following the US hit on their Top Terrorist, and instead come back to the table to negotiate a solution to their nuclear weapons ambitions. The US now has the upper hand, and is playing with an advantage.

But if Iran isn't open to diplomacy, and decides to use military force, it will give President Trump the justification to also use military force, another Shock & Awe. And this time it will be decisive with technology and weapons unheard of the last time. My guess is that once the the USAF has achieved air superiority, it will use the B-52s loading a 20,000-pound GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast MOAB ("Mother of All Bombs") under each wing, and one GBU-57A/B Massive Ordnance Penetrator (MOP), a precision-guided, 30,000-pound (14,000 kg) "bunker buster" bomb internally. The BUFFS could then lumber in and use these truly awesome weapons to penetrate and destroy Iran's fortified underground nuclear industry.

Trump is playing hard ball - the only way the barbarians in the Middle East know how to play!

Please read my thesis on: President Trump’s End Game Plan for the Middle East!

Correct.
Obama gives them hugs, kisses, and a plane full of cash, in the last hours of his presidency.
Trump kills one of their top terrorists.
And then dares them to make the next move.
Which guy would you rather have in charge?

Old 01-07-2020, 08:38 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,018,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Those six planes probably have more firepower than Iran's entire military.

The fact that we could pound them back into the sand with what's basically leftover hardware from our WWII arsenals should tell you how an actual war might go.
B-52 isn’t WWII.

trump committed an act of war. Iran will respond by attacking through proxies. The B-52s won’t do anything. The US has assassinated people certainly, it doesn’t claim responsibility.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:45 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
If Iran deescalates it will probably be the end of their regime.

The Mullahs need to act. They don't need to be a match for the US military to be successful as other players in the region will probably intervene to prevent them from being invaded.

The only reason the USA hasn't fully invaded and done regime change in Cuba, Venezuela or even Syria has been outside support.

Cuba, Venezuela, and Syria are not threats to the U.S. Past Presidents, except Reagan, have stayed away from angering Iran because they are allied with Russia. Donnie doesn't care about that. He knows Russia only cares about its oil and gas revenue, and he has done everything in his power to keep world energy prices LOW which hurts Russia the most as they are so dependent on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies