Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 01:59 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
Not years back - it's already happening!

Military.com: Plans for Pentagon's Future Flying Bomb/Missile Truck Take Shape

One possible weapon is the AGM-183A Advanced Rapid Response Weapon (ARRW, pronounced “Arrow”) a hypersonic rocket that has a top speed of a mind-blowing Mach 20! This makes it up to four times faster than Russian and Chinese hypersonic weapons!

Another are massive swarms of drones!

And yes, no need for boots on the ground or pilots entering Iran's airspace as most attacks will be carried out from a stand-off position by cruise and hypersonic missiles, mostly launched by B-52s, B-1s, and attack submarines.
It was years back I read about this stuff. Long enough now I'm sure a lot of it has become reality. One of the concept weapons I remember was drone aircraft launch able from the aircraft able to deploy sub munitions and then be recovered in flight.

If it couldn't be recovered the drone itself could be used as a cruise missile. Several of these drones could be deployed from rotary launchers. A host of other weapons would be on board as well.

One aircraft could do what it used to take full squadrons of different aircraft to do. Yep...pretty cool stuff. One plane could actively attack ground targets, engage other aircraft and also direct other planes on other targets.

And all this while safely out of the range of enemy weapons and totally off their scopes. What capabilities we might actually have now who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2020, 02:33 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
It was years back I read about this stuff. Long enough now I'm sure a lot of it has become reality.

One of the concept weapons I remember was drone aircraft launch able from the aircraft able to deploy sub munitions and then be recovered in flight.
You may be thinking of the Lockheed D-21 supersonic reconnaissance drone.

The D-21 was initially designed to be launched from the back of an SR-71(A-12) Blackbird, the famous supersonic spy plane, and had a maximum speed of Mach 3.3 (2,200 miles per hour) at an operational altitude of 90,000 feet.

Here is a B-52 with one D-21 under each wing. Nice pair!

Last edited by Rumann Koch; 01-09-2020 at 02:52 PM..

Old 01-09-2020, 03:27 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
It was years back I read about this stuff. Long enough now I'm sure a lot of it has become reality. One of the concept weapons I remember was drone aircraft launch able from the aircraft able to deploy sub munitions and then be recovered in flight.

If it couldn't be recovered the drone itself could be used as a cruise missile. Several of these drones could be deployed from rotary launchers. A host of other weapons would be on board as well.

One aircraft could do what it used to take full squadrons of different aircraft to do. Yep...pretty cool stuff. One plane could actively attack ground targets, engage other aircraft and also direct other planes on other targets.

And all this while safely out of the range of enemy weapons and totally off their scopes. What capabilities we might actually have now who knows.
I can't even imagine...…… some of the Vietnam stuff was scary enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies