Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 08:41 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Air strikes no, but Iran has plenty of missiles, including ballistic, and have been investing heavily in that technology. They can't reach the US but they can reach our regional bases and Israel.
If they wanted to they can do some considerable damage. The key is "if they wanted to". There missles are intended as area denial weapons and not really for this scenario. We saw a very limited and measured attack tonight and clearly they didn't want to incur serious damage as they know what the US response would be.
This may help:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2020, 09:57 PM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Our F-35s may be used to sneak in destroy Iranian air defenses to clear the way for the B-52s. Am I right?
No, it won't be a replay of night one of Desert Storm, even then it was stealth aircraft and our most capable strike fighters that went in. And then mostly the newest generation fighters at that time, with some product improved Vietnam era aircraft took losses from the surviving Iraqi defenses. The B-52 would orbit out of range and lob missiles at their targets while using less manpower than a USN destroyer or submarine. But then the ships can stay on firing station and fire while a bomber would need transit time to its firing position.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:02 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
744 or 78 makes no difference. They are not a deterrence in today's world. The only deterrence is Jets. Sending in numerous F-35's into the region is a deterrence. Sending in B-52's says nothing. Have none of you learned nothing in relation to modern day warfare?
are you aware that B-52's did 40% of the air sorties in the Iraq war?

Old 01-08-2020, 05:01 AM

Default B-52s Shatter Vietnam Records

During its two-year deployment to the Middle East to fight the Islamic State and Taliban, B-52s shattered records set during the Vietnam War.

The 69th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron, which arrived in Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar back in September 2017, then launched 834 straight B-52 missions without any maintenance cancellations.

This broke a B-52 streak that stood since December 1972, when the Air Force carried out 11 days of massive bombing in North Vietnam during the first three days of Linebacker II, 312 sorties were launched without a maintenance cancellation.

I think many of you do not understand or comprehend the lethality and effectiveness of this venerable and battle-proven US bomber even to this day!

Last edited by Rumann Koch; 01-08-2020 at 05:17 AM..

Old 01-08-2020, 05:20 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,186 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
This may help:
Iran has enough problems with the US through it's recent actions without attacking other countries or alliances such as NATO.

I hope too innocent cvilians are not killed, however Iran can now expect the response it has been repeatedly warned about it.

So they were warned.

In terms of the plane, Tehran's civil aviation organisation is refusing to hand over the black box to Boeing.

What is known is the nationalities of the 170 people who died on board the Boeing-737 which included:
  • 82 Iranians
  • 63 Canadians
  • 11 Ukrainians, including all the crew
  • 10 Swedes
  • Four Afghans
  • Three Germans
  • Three Britons

Iran attack: Missiles fired at US forces in Iraq - BBC News

Iran plane crash: Ukraine International Airline jet crashes killing 176 - BBC News

Iran's nuclear site hit by 4.9 magnitude earthquake | Metro News

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-08-2020 at 05:32 AM..

Old 01-08-2020, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
In terms of the plane, Tehran's civil aviation organisation is refusing to hand over the black box to Boeing.
I think you are posting your response re the Ukrainian plane because of the map I submitted above. But the map is related to Iranian ballistic missile ranges, ground-to-ground attack, not anti-aircraft missiles.

However, I concur with your conclusion that Ukraine International Airlines Flight PS752 was brought down by nefarious means: either a bomb placed onboard or by an anti-aircraft missile. The plane, a three-year-old Boeing 737-800, was last seen on radar at 7,925 feet, and according to reports the crash happened just two minutes after takeoff.

UIA officials told a news conference Wednesday that the plane involved in the fatal crash was one of the best they had and that its pilots were very experienced. And the video circulating on the Internet suggests that the plane was on fire before it began to dive with some of its parts breaking up in mid-air. This is NOT the result of an engine failure!

I would like to know if the shrapnel marks on the engine fairing have inward or outward creases!

Old 01-08-2020, 06:41 AM

Quote:
I think you are posting your response re the Ukrainian plane because of the map I submitted above. But the map is related to Iranian ballistic missile ranges, ground-to-ground attack, not anti-aircraft missiles.

However, I concur with your conclusion that Ukraine International Airlines Flight PS752 was brought down by nefarious means: either a bomb placed onboard or by an anti-aircraft missile. The plane, a three-year-old Boeing 737-800, was last seen on radar at 7,925 feet, and according to reports the crash happened just two minutes after takeoff.

UIA officials told a news conference Wednesday that the plane involved in the fatal crash was one of the best they had and that its pilots were very experienced. And the video circulating on the Internet suggests that the plane was on fire before it began to dive with some of its parts breaking up in mid-air. This is NOT the result of an engine failure!

I would like to know if the shrapnel marks on the engine fairing have inward or outward creases!

The response was in relation to Iran striking any other nations.

The US may just call it a day now, as they have taken out Qassem Soleimani and the Iranian missile response has caused easily repairable damage and no loss of life and Trump even tweeted that all was good despite the attacks, and damage was not that great.

In terms of the plane crash, that will have to be investigated by multimnational investoigators, and those nations who lost people on board which desn't include the US will want answers as will the Ukranian Airline. The UN will also want answers.

US Authorities and Boeing may not be allowed to help investigators by the Iranians and the Iranians are currently not prepared to release the black box or other information, so I agree it seems very suspicious given that the Iranians were firing issiles at the time, and the plane had a technical check up only two days ago.

Old 01-08-2020, 11:01 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
During its two-year deployment to the Middle East to fight the Islamic State and Taliban, B-52s shattered records set during the Vietnam War.

The 69th Expeditionary Bomb Squadron, which arrived in Al Udeid Air Base in Qatar back in September 2017, then launched 834 straight B-52 missions without any maintenance cancellations.

This broke a B-52 streak that stood since December 1972, when the Air Force carried out 11 days of massive bombing in North Vietnam during the first three days of Linebacker II, 312 sorties were launched without a maintenance cancellation.

I think many of you do not understand or comprehend the lethality and effectiveness of this venerable and battle-proven US bomber even to this day!
I was in Vietnam. I saw them flying overhead...………..and saw an example of what they could do...…...this was 50 years ago......

Old 01-08-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I was in Vietnam. I saw them flying overhead...………..and saw an example of what they could do...…...this was 50 years ago......
I never saw them in combat, but did have several opportunities in past Fort Lauderdale Air & Sea Shows.

The B-52 approached from the north, did a low-level pass in front of the main grandstand, then made a steep climb and then a U-turn with the agility of a fighter (much steeper than in the video below)! It doesn't pretend to be stealthy, leaving smoke plumes enough for a hundred diesel trucks!

This ocean flyby is from the Miami Air Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x8gzQywcT8

Old 01-08-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I never saw them in combat (lost my brother, a Marine in Nam), but did have several opportunities in past Fort Lauderdale Air & Sea Shows.

The B-52 approached from the north, did a low-level pass in front of the main grandstand, then made a steep climb and then a U-turn with the agility of a fighter! It doesn't pretend to be stealthy, leaving a smoke plumes enough for a hundred diesel trucks!
B52's are a regular sight at the US base at Fairford in Gloucestershire in England along with the Rockwell B-1 Lancer, the Lockhead U-2 (Dragon Lady), the Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit which operated from Fairford last year and numerous other US anf NATO aircraft.

In November 2018, it was announced that the 95th Reconnaissance Squadron and 488th Intelligence Squadron would relocate to Fairford by 2024. The squadrons, based at RAF Mildenhall in Suffolk, are both part of the 55th Operations Group and support Boeing RC-135 surveillance aircraft, as well as it's role as the only US bomber base left in Europe and as a reconnaissance base.

As for Miledenhall in England it was for many years home to the SR-71 Blackbird, so we have seen a lot of cool US Aircraft in the UK and Europe over the decades.

The US Airbase at Lakenheath in England, is home to 48th Fighter Wing (48 FW), and the base is currently being extended, in order to make room for the F-15's to be replaced by F-35's. The US Navy also now operates P-8 Poseiden Submarine Hunters alongside the RAF at Lossiemouth in Scotland.

Fairford November 2019 -

Fairford October 2019 -

Rockwell B-1 Lancer (2018) -

Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit - September 2019 -

Last edited by Brave New World; 01-08-2020 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies