Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 05:44 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,931,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuele View Post
Par for the course, you describe the American public as “ mush brained” . Did you get that from Hillary? Surely, you aren’t suggesting that there aren’t intelligent people within the 63 million that voted for him.

As for your “ cashing in”, aren’t the ratings for CNN down? Could it be the programming? 24/7 Trump bashing can’t draw an audience, and if you think Fox leads the “ cashing in” , what about their programming?

Explain.

Do I watch it, very little. Flip around, I mostly listen to music .Sound is usually off on the TV, sporting events on. I have several audio systems all over the premises, indoor and out.
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Americans in general are declining in their ability to logically reason, to use critical thinking skills, and to reach a rational informed opinion about pretty much anything. This started decades ago, long before CNN and Fox News even existed.

It is hard to pin down exactly when this devolution started but the 1970's is when it really began in earnest. This is when we chose consumerism as our value system, although you could surely argue that we were manipulated into that choice. Then in the 1980's and beyond, we moved away from traditional political discourse and steered toward populism.

This is how we elected someone like Donald Trump to be President of the USA. It is not a matter of intelligence. It's a matter of selective cognition coupled with the the power of populist propaganda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies