Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 04:19 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,019,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Oh no! Was it the dreaded “shoulder thing that goes up”?

You have to be extra careful of the flared style silencers. They are extra quiet.
I can't say whether it goes up or not. I did not see it do that during the movie, but it is of course always possible.

The point remains that there were a bunch of bad guys on a yacht armed with AR-15s, and Pam Grier took them all out with her 9mm. So the same 9mm that supposed gun experts claim is 'wimpy' overcame numerous bad guys armed with one of the most powerful firearms there is.

BTW, I would add that in the movie, she is an ex-cop and licensed private investigator. If you're not a licensed professional, you should not have either a 9mm, an AR-15, or a magnum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 05:24 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
I can't say whether it goes up or not. I did not see it do that during the movie, but it is of course always possible.

The point remains that there were a bunch of bad guys on a yacht armed with AR-15s, and Pam Grier took them all out with her 9mm. So the same 9mm that supposed gun experts claim is 'wimpy' overcame numerous bad guys armed with one of the most powerful firearms there is.

BTW, I would add that in the movie, she is an ex-cop and licensed private investigator. If you're not a licensed professional, you should not have either a 9mm, an AR-15, or a magnum.
Oh my! Big T...your in full Bizzaro mode now pard. First let's look at "magnum". 12 ga shotgun, 3 inch "magnum". A common round especially for waterfowl like geese. 7mm "magnum". A rifle cartridge very common in big game hunting. Antelope hunters favor it fir its ability to make a humane one shot kill at longer ranges. 357, 44, 41, "magnum". Common handgun chamberings mostly in revolvers but also in lever action "carbines" All used mainly for hunting but also defensively. These are (again) ALL of them, nothing more than a little extra length and strength added to a "standard" cartridge that squeezes a bit more velocity from a given projectile.

Theres NOTHING high tech or magical about a magnum. The 9mm Parabellum. A German cartridge invented I believe in 1901. Been around a LONG time. Nothing magical or special about it either.

Ballistically it and the 38 Special revolver round ate very similar. Pretty unremarkable overall. It's just a popular defensive chambering. Ammo is affordable so a guy(or gal) can practice a lot without to much financial stress.

And old school steel framed gun guys like me do consider it a "mouse gun." For many types of competition like bowling pins it is inadequate.

The AR 15. Where to begin. (sigh) . In its standard 223 chambering it is a rather low power platform. Hardly the powerhouse reactive armor defeating platform many are claiming. Including you.

C'.mon man. You just cant be that willfully ignorant unless you're trying. I dont really mind refuting these ramblings cuz I'm kinda believing you actually think about them ...sometimes I do anyhoo.

Sorta like I did with the plasma armature rifling engagement nonsense. Making truly quite simple things seem like rocket science to people who do t know any better can be fun to a point.

Like being the space traveler that lands on a primitive planet and plays divine being. But hey, this quoted post is really going to far man. I have to wonder if anyone can truly feign such ignorance.

Old 02-07-2020, 05:36 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,019,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Oh my! Big T...your in full Bizzaro mode now pard. First let's look at "magnum". 12 ga shotgun, 3 inch "magnum". A common round especially for waterfowl like geese. 7mm "magnum". A rifle cartridge very common in big game hunting. Antelope hunters favor it fir its ability to make a humane one shot kill at longer ranges. 357, 44, 41, "magnum". Common handgun chamberings mostly in revolvers but also in lever action "carbines" All used mainly for hunting but also defensively. These are (again) ALL of them, nothing more than a little extra length and strength added to a "standard" cartridge that squeezes a bit more velocity from a given projectile.

Theres NOTHING high tech or magical about a magnum. The 9mm Parabellum. A German cartridge invented I believe in 1901. Been around a LONG time. Nothing magical or special about it either.

Ballistically it and the 38 Special revolver round ate very similar. Pretty unremarkable overall. It's just a popular defensive chambering. Ammo is affordable so a guy(or gal) can practice a lot without to much financial stress.

And old school steel framed gun guys like me do consider it a "mouse gun." For many types of competition like bowling pins it is inadequate.

The AR 15. Where to begin. (sigh) . In its standard 223 chambering it is a rather low power platform. Hardly the powerhouse reactive armor defeating platform many are claiming. Including you.

C'.mon man. You just cant be that willfully ignorant unless you're trying. I dont really mind refuting these ramblings cuz I'm kinda believing you actually think about them ...sometimes I do anyhoo.

Sorta like I did with the plasma armature rifling engagement nonsense. Making truly quite simple things seem like rocket science to people who do t know any better can be fun to a point.

Like being the space traveler that lands on a primitive planet and plays divine being. But hey, this quoted post is really going to far man. I have to wonder if anyone can truly feign such ignorance.

Well the above is a bit of a 'Gish Gallup,' but I will respond to one of your points. In the movie I referenced, Pam Grier carries a large, silver colored magnum on her side in a suspension-style holster. She is able to conceal it under her jacket due to her bosomy figure. She uses it effectively to 'persuade' several bad guys. But my point is, she's an ex-cop and licensed private investigator.

Are you? If so I have no problem with you owning a magnum weapon. I'm not familiar with all the other magnums that you cite. But if you're not a cop or a licensed investigator, there is no need for you to have a magnum weapon.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:11 PM

10,790 posts, read 5,723,845 times
“The Shoulder Thing That Goes Up”

And these people pass laws that trample on the Constitutional rights of law abiding citizens. SMDH

This is how you sound, travis t. It isn’t pretty.

Last edited by TaxPhd; 02-07-2020 at 06:28 PM..

Old 02-07-2020, 06:16 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,662,314 times
Quote:
Well the above is a bit of a 'Gish Gallup,' but I will respond to one of your points. In the movie I referenced, Pam Grier carries a large, silver colored magnum on her side in a suspension-style holster. She is able to conceal it under her jacket due to her bosomy figure. She uses it effectively to 'persuade' several bad guys. But my point is, she's an ex-cop and licensed private investigator.

Are you? If so I have no problem with you owning a magnum weapon. I'm not familiar with all the other magnums that you cite. But if you're not a cop or a licensed investigator, there is no need for you to have a magnum weapon.
LOL. OK. So you're truly that ignorant. Wow. Whoda thunk. Currently I am not a " licensed" anything. Other than for concealed carry .

I own two " magnum" chambered firearms. A 12 ga shotgun chambered for 3 inch magnum and a model 66 Smith and Wesson revolver chambered for 357 Magnum. Which means that both guns will chamber and fire 23/4 inch 12 ga and 38 special.

The "sub caliber" rounds the " magnums" are based on. AGAIN magnum only means a bit more length and strength to the base cartridge. A bit more velocity to the projectile.

For Pete's sake! Look it up on Wiki then get back to me. I am a regular citizen. However I work VERY closely in the training program my firearms club sponsors. I help train both citizens and Leo's in firearms handling for defensive use.

Shooting is a martial art. Just like Karate, Aikido, Kenjutsu, Tai Kwon Do whatever. And in all humility I am a 'black belt". I have been training with firearms since I was 5 years old. I cut my first teeth on a 1911 Government model.

I am more than qualified to handle "magnum" chambered firearms, and though the term sounds scary it's nothing all that special. Many non magnum cartridges equal and even surpass magnum performance.

The old 45 Colt from 1873 is a good example of the latter. The one time in my life I have had to fire my weapon in anger was with my 357 magnum revolver. And I was NOT using magnum loads. I was using 38 Special.

130 gr bullets Winchester SXT. I have never loaded magnums for defensive use. Only in bowling pin competition. I am currently ranked as Master/ Grand Master for Steel Challenge competition. Same for pins. I was shooting B class in ICORE as of 3 years ago after I finally formally joined the organization and started keeping track.

I am not a novice to shooting. Haven't been for a LONG time. There is MAYBE one cop around here that can keep up with my 23 yo son with a handgun in competition. Yes my son can handily beat me. A d I trained him.

You me CD matey are nowhere near qualified to tell me, or any serious shooter, what we should be qualified to own and use. Nor is any government official. Right down to the SGT Major of the Army, Marine Corps or any head of any LE agency. State or federal.

Let alone a citizen who does not know the difference twixt a standard and magnum load or what that even means. Truly man....educate yourself. You are truly and wholly making yourself look VERY foolish even to those with only a modicum of firearms experience and knowledge.

Carry on regardless. NVp

Old 02-07-2020, 07:48 PM

29,611 posts, read 14,748,201 times
Stop feeding the troll....

Old 02-07-2020, 07:53 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,259,247 times
Quote:

In Hollywood anything is possible. And I own machineguns. Much better than what you want banned.

Old 02-08-2020, 08:41 AM

37,971 posts, read 17,919,261 times
Quote:

It's for self defense. So a cop or PI can defend themselves with a magnum but no one else is allowed too? Why? What kind of adolescent reasoning is that? Someone is attacking and and another person pulls out a magnum to protect you, you're going to say, "Hey don't use that gun, find another"?????

If you don't care enough about your life to protect it, that's your free will.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:07 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,787,414 times
Still shooting in CHOP/CHAZ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies