Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 07:56 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I just cannot see how you don't think SF has gone down hill in recent years. Anyways, 7 years and lived in a variety of places from Inner Richmond/Panhandle, Candlestick Park, Twin Peaks and a short time in Union Square / Bush St. Weren't you in East Bay. I remember always getting into it with the Oakland defenders, I thought you were one of the main ones, no?
I’ve lived in the City: 3 places in the Haight-Ashbury, Market and Church, Marina, Presidio. Treasure Island and Alameda while in service. Sausalito. And several spots in the Delta east to Sacramento. Never Oakland, no.

Has SF gone downhill in recent years? Yeah. Some districts. Others improve with soaring values. The City is an enigma. Always has been. Change happens. Things deteriorate - then improve. Sister lives in Philly (lawyer no less ). The inner city neighborhood she lives in now is very trendy ... used to be a dangerous slum. Another relative moved to Capitol Hill in DC 50 years ago. Right behind the Supreme Court building, just one block. Was a sketchy neighborhood at the time and the price was very affordable ... go figure right in the nation’s government district. Within 10-15 years the value had increased about 10x as government workers, lobbyists, senators, et al realized how quaint and historic and convenient to work it was ... how the hell did that ever slum up to begin with?

Cousin just bought a couple houses in Detroit, where he grew up. When we were kids I was in that god forsaken city so much (from my home in St. Paul, MN) it was a second home for me. Talk about a sewer of a city! But turning around again now.

Crap happens, bmw ... and then changes. Your perspective is limited by your youth, of course. But still, that’s no excuse for not educating yourself outside of the memes and myths.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:14 PM

758 posts, read 551,335 times
This is such an odd thread. First, it should be in the Politics Forum. Second, after the revelation of the Bloomberg tape, and its mention in the thread, people just ignore it and go back to debating the economy. It is an odd type of whistling past the graveyard of this man's candidacy. This man has no chance. No chance at all. His only effect, if nominated, will be to keep a competitive Democrat from ousting Trump. It does not matter how many black politicians endorse him. Blacks don't seem to check their brain and heart at the polling place and just do whatever black politicians say, else we'd be talking about President Hilary Clinton. Bloomberg will fare even worse, because he doesn't have a history of being married to Bill Clinton.

The Notorious Michael Bloomberg: His racist stop-and-frisk policy as New York Mayor cannot be forgotten
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/12/o...gtype=Homepage

The op-ed notes:
Quote:
And Bloomberg defended the practice by saying that the only way to get the guns out of the kids’ hands was to throw the kids against a wall. But nearly 90 percent of these young people were completely innocent. They had done absolutely nothing wrong, let alone possess a gun.

The Columbia Law School professor Jeffrey Fagan produced a report that became part of a class-action lawsuit against the city in 2010. It found that “[s]eizures of weapons or contraband are extremely rare. Overall, guns are seized in less than 1 percent of all stops: 0.15 percent. … Contraband, which may include weapons but also includes drugs or stolen property, is seized in 1.75 percent of all stops.
Ignoring this and its implications for his likelihood of electoral success in the general election is an odd kind of high stakes wishful thinking.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:25 PM

17,642 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Dear SF: The rest of the country doesn't care who your mayor endorses. We know you are all left wing lunatics.

Love, America

Old 02-12-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
This is such an odd thread. First, it should be in the Politics Forum. Second, after the revelation of the Bloomberg tape, and its mention in the thread, people just ignore it and go back to debating the economy. It is an odd type of whistling past the graveyard of this man's candidacy. This man has no chance. No chance at all. His only effect, if nominated, will be to keep a competitive Democrat from ousting Trump. It does not matter how many black politicians endorse him. Blacks don't seem to check their brain and heart at the polling place and just do whatever black politicians say, else we'd be talking about President Hilary Clinton. Bloomberg will fare even worse, because he doesn't have a history of being married to Bill Clinton.

The Notorious Michael Bloomberg: His racist stop-and-frisk policy as New York Mayor cannot be forgotten
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/12/o...gtype=Homepage

The op-ed notes: Ignoring this and its implications for his likelihood of electoral success in the general election is an odd kind of high stakes wishful thinking.
It isn’t being ignored. Not by media. Not by opposition (right and left both). Not by the public. And not by Bloomberg.

In the spirit of fairness, I’m interested to consider all sides of the story ... including Bloomberg’s mea culpa.

He has no chance, you say? Heh. His billions can buy as big (or bigger) a chance as Trump’s war chest. Already Bloomberg’s sophisticated strategic team and ad agency are kicking serious butt.

No, he not my candidate. But push comes to shove I’ll have no problem voting for him in the general if he’s the nominee.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Dear SF: The rest of the country doesn't care who your mayor endorses. We know you are all left wing lunatics.

Love, America
Well “America” ... just hope we don’t divorce you and leave you broke

Old 02-12-2020, 08:39 PM

17,642 posts, read 6,918,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well “America” ... just hope we don’t divorce you and leave you broke
I would personally donate to a California secession fund and I'm sure I'm not alone. We'll recover any monetary loss by tariffs on food, gas, water, changing a tire. You know, all the things California can't do.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:52 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
The MSM has actually been playing Bloomberg's recording a lot. I think they still don't like Bloomberg because he isn't following the traditional rules. I don't understand why liberals have these stupid tests that a person has to have a perfect work record, a perfect social record... everything perfect, no jokes, no mistakes, nothing... nobody can meet those standards and if there was one person who did, he or she would probably be a psychopath underneath the mask.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I would personally donate to a California secession fund and I'm sure I'm not alone. We'll recover any monetary loss by tariffs on food, gas, water, changing a tire. You know, all the things California can't do.
Please do donate. I can’t wait. Also can’t wait for the negotiations on tech development and products. To say nothing of the state being home to the most billionaires in the nation whose taxes you’ll forego.

Oh, and by the way, CA is the 7th highest oil producing state, just barely less than Alaska ... considering the sunshine and transition to electric vehicles, we’ll get by.

To say nothing of the fact that California supplies the majority of food produce to the nation.

Oh, and the Pacific ports to Asia?

Also wondering whether “America” will remain the world’s #1 economy when the world’s #5th largest economy (that would be California) leaves and becomes independent.

Changing a tire my arse ... lmfao

Old 02-12-2020, 09:06 PM

758 posts, read 551,335 times
Quote:
It isn’t being ignored. Not by media. Not by opposition (right and left both). Not by the public. And not by Bloomberg.

In the spirit of fairness, I’m interested to consider all sides of the story ... including Bloomberg’s mea culpa.
C'mon Tmutt. You know I was talking about the thread, not the media, opposition, or other members of the public. My original note began with a reference to opponents. I am talking about the thread continuing to discuss the fiction that this man can get elected, and talking about several aspects that might matter--the economy, his $$, the Sanders voters, the DNC. But not the black vote. Yet, he is vilifying, on tape, the very constituency he HAS to get to win. Maybe you do not know, but if the election had been only amongst white voters, Bill Clinton and Obama would both have lost. Hillary won the black vote, but turnout was not high enough to take her to victory. That Bloomberg has a record that puts him at-risk of sub-Hillary turnout should be A#1 on this thread that's entertaining the idea of his candidacy. A low black turnout could cost the Democrats the House, some governorships, and some Senate races. That seems a pretty big consequence of his late "apology." Yes, everywhere else this is being discussed, it is being factored into the consideration. Just not on this thread. If I am in error, please show where the issue has been treated here.

Quote:
He has no chance, you say? Heh. His billions can buy as big (or bigger) a chance as Trump’s war chest. Already Bloomberg’s sophisticated strategic team and ad agency are kicking serious butt.

No, he not my candidate. But push comes to shove I’ll have no problem voting for him in the general if he’s the nominee.
Yes, I say he has no chance. He's kicking butt because he hasn't had to face scrutiny from multiple other campaigns, yet. Beating Biden is hardly a ringing endorsement--a mayor of South Bend is doing that handily. Until Bloomberg faces the scrutiny of other campaigns, he hasn't kicked anything. But whether he kicks but during the primaries or not is not my point. Winning the nomination is not what I'm talking about. If he suppresses turnout, he is not going to win the general election. The tape is going to suppress turnout if he is the nominee. Therefore, he is not going to win.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
C'mon Tmutt. You know I was talking about the thread, not the media, opposition, or other members of the public. My original note began with a reference to opponents. I am talking about the thread continuing to discuss the fiction that this man can get elected, and talking about several aspects that might matter--the economy, his $$, the Sanders voters, the DNC. But not the black vote. Yet, he is vilifying, on tape, the very constituency he HAS to get to win. Maybe you do not know, but if the election had been only amongst white voters, Bill Clinton and Obama would both have lost. Hillary won the black vote, but turnout was not high enough to take her to victory. That Bloomberg has a record that puts him at-risk of sub-Hillary turnout should be A#1 on this thread that's entertaining the idea of his candidacy. A low black turnout could cost the Democrats the House, some governorships, and some Senate races. That seems a pretty big consequence of his late "apology." Yes, everywhere else this is being discussed, it is being factored into the consideration. Just not on this thread. If I am in error, please show where the issue has been treated here.

Yes, I say he has no chance. He's kicking butt because he hasn't had to face scrutiny from multiple other campaigns, yet. Beating Biden is hardly a ringing endorsement--a mayor of South Bend is doing that handily. Until Bloomberg faces the scrutiny of other campaigns, he hasn't kicked anything. But whether he kicks but during the primaries or not is not my point. Winning the nomination is not what I'm talking about. If he suppresses turnout, he is not going to win the general election. The tape is going to suppress turnout if he is the nominee. Therefore, he is not going to win.
I do understand your position. And as I said: he’s not my preferred candidate at all. But I do have clear vision to see:

1. Bloomberg didn’t / isn’t beating Biden ... Biden’s beating himself (and Obama saw it coming)

2. Bloomberg, like him or not, is smart as a whip. In fact, he is a whip. His team of analysts and marketeers is without parallel. His kind of money can create a fantasy better than Pixar can. Have you watched any of his advertising output? It is the best political marketing America has ever seen. And it’s just begun. He has the dollars to create astounding illusion. After witnessing what has been taking place in internet and media interference over recent years, do you still doubt the public’s gullibility? Trump is already pooping bricks about Bloomberg.

That all said, the grass roots mania of Sanders is also an astoundingly powerful force ... of the same kind that swept Trump into the White House.

Hang on to your hat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies