Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 12:00 AM

758 posts, read 551,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I do understand your position. And as I said: he’s not my preferred candidate at all. But I do have clear vision to see:

1. Bloomberg didn’t / isn’t beating Biden ... Biden’s beating himself (and Obama saw it coming)

2. Bloomberg, like him or not, is smart as a whip. In fact, he is a whip. His team of analysts and marketeers is without parallel. His kind of money can create a fantasy better than Pixar can. Have you watched any of his advertising output? It is the best political marketing America has ever seen. And it’s just begun. He has the dollars to create astounding illusion. After witnessing what has been taking place in internet and media interference over recent years, do you still doubt the public’s gullibility? Trump is already pooping bricks about Bloomberg.

That all said, the grass roots mania of Sanders is also an astoundingly powerful force ... of the same kind that swept Trump into the White House.

Hang on to your hat.
On 1, I agree.

On 2, I think you are over-generalizing the Trump phenom. Trump's illusion was consistent with who he was and who he was claiming to be. He never claimed to care about immigrants and, outside his third wife, nothing suggests he ever cared about immigrants. The people Trump demonized in the past (educated (i.e., uppity) women, immigrants, blacks) he continued to demonize in his campaign. He didn't apologize for anything. And educated women (outside white suburbs), immigrants, and blacks did not vote for him.

On the other hand, Bloomberg's illusion is going to have to make people he demonized in the past forget his demonizing behavior and the destructive consequences of that behavior, AND forget his very conveniently timed "apology". That would be like Trump apologizing now to try to foster some illusion because he needed to get 95% of Latinx people to 1)turn out and 2)vote for him after 4 years of his anti-immigrant policies. As I am sure you can see, that's a MUCH more difficult task. In short, Trump has to foster illusions to mobilize the people he has NOT demonized. Bloomberg has to foster illusions to mobilize people he HAS long demonized. If I were a betting person, I'd bet on Trump to win that competition every single day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old 02-13-2020, 12:02 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,928,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
lol okay, you are the equivalent to the extreme fox news viewer back during Obama where you thought the sky was falling. The economy now has been a continuation of the economy under Obama. If anything it is the same or slightly better. Keep the tin foil hat on while you watch CNN, MSNBC lol.
all those assumptions in one post. you keep watching fox. i'm sure it's keeping you oh so well informed.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:30 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,980,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
all those assumptions in one post. you keep watching fox. i'm sure it's keeping you oh so well informed.

You won't find a more informed person than me. I can honestly say I've watched every debate in full, every town hall in full, and at least one full speech/rally in full on each candidate, but the top pollers I've watched a few speeches in full. I know more about the Democratic candidates than most of my most liberal friends because they get most of their news from MSM and liberal tv comics. I actually watch the raw thing instead of getting it filtered by Fox or MSM.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:40 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Quote:
You won't find a more informed person than me. I can honestly say I've watched every debate in full, every town hall in full, and at least one full speech/rally in full on each candidate, but the top pollers I've watched a few speeches in full. I know more about the Democratic candidates than most of my most liberal friends because they get most of their news from MSM and liberal tv comics. I actually watch the raw thing instead of getting it filtered by Fox or MSM.
If so, you might try applying that kind of focus to educating yourself about homelessness and crime and drug addiction. Good luck. I believe you have the intellectual capacity ... if you’d apply the will.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
If so, you might try applying that kind of focus to educating yourself about homelessness and crime and drug addiction. Good luck. I believe you have the intellectual capacity ... if you’d apply the will.

I just have firm beliefs that it doesn't matter if you have a mental illness or drug addiction, if you cause harm to other people or their property or are breaking laws that apply to everyone else, you should be receive the same penalties and if you are a repeat offender, you should be removed from society.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocSciProf View Post
On 1, I agree.

On 2, I think you are over-generalizing the Trump phenom. Trump's illusion was consistent with who he was and who he was claiming to be. He never claimed to care about immigrants and, outside his third wife, nothing suggests he ever cared about immigrants. The people Trump demonized in the past (educated (i.e., uppity) women, immigrants, blacks) he continued to demonize in his campaign. He didn't apologize for anything. And educated women (outside white suburbs), immigrants, and blacks did not vote for him.

On the other hand, Bloomberg's illusion is going to have to make people he demonized in the past forget his demonizing behavior and the destructive consequences of that behavior, AND forget his very conveniently timed "apology". That would be like Trump apologizing now to try to foster some illusion because he needed to get 95% of Latinx people to 1)turn out and 2)vote for him after 4 years of his anti-immigrant policies. As I am sure you can see, that's a MUCH more difficult task. In short, Trump has to foster illusions to mobilize the people he has NOT demonized. Bloomberg has to foster illusions to mobilize people he HAS long demonized. If I were a betting person, I'd bet on Trump to win that competition every single day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I already cast my primary vote. It wasn’t for Bloomberg (or Andrew Yang, much as I loved the guy). Bloomberg wasn’t anywhere on my list of top 3 or even 8 or 10. But I don’t dislike or disparage him. He’s just not in my vision of - um, shall we say - what I consider good social anthropology.

That clarified, messaging is both psychological art and science ... more honed to surgical sharpness and temper than ever before. Money buys it. Social media also makes it openly available aside from money to any parties capable of competing in the game ... but quite frankly money buys the best talent for the most part. Almost total. And homo sapiens are suckers - readily buying crap sold to them as gold nuggets ... because, they want to believe they can possess gold.

We shall see. If I was a betting man, I’d bet against your honorable instincts. Almost kinda sorta hope you’re right too. Doubt it.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I already cast my primary vote. It wasn’t for Bloomberg (or Andrew Yang, much as I loved the guy). Bloomberg wasn’t anywhere on my list of top 3 or even 8 or 10. But I don’t dislike or disparage him. He’s just not in my vision of - um, shall we say - what I consider good social anthropology.

That clarified, messaging is both psychological art and science ... more honed to surgical sharpness and temper than ever before. Money buys it. Social media also makes it openly available aside from money to any parties capable of competing in the game ... but quite frankly money buys the best talent for the most part. Almost total. And homo sapiens are suckers - readily buying crap sold to them as gold nuggets ... because, they want to believe they can possess gold.

We shall see. If I was a betting man, I’d bet against your honorable instincts. Almost kinda sorta hope you’re right too. Doubt it.

Money isn't everything though. Tom Steyer has been outspending the other candidates for a long time and by huge multiples, yet Steyer hasn't gone much of anywhere.

Bloomberg on the other hand, has a lot of accomplishments to back his marketing effort. I agree that money can allow you to hire the best marketers, lawyers, etc, but you still have to have something good to market and people have to believe it.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
I just have firm beliefs that it doesn't matter if you have a mental illness or drug addiction, if you cause harm to other people or their property or are breaking laws that apply to everyone else, you should be receive the same penalties and if you are a repeat offender, you should be removed from society.
Brotherman, beliefs are not facts. They are concepts a persons desires to hold but has not proven.

“Should should shoulds” are a form of the “deserve” religion. As Clint Eastwood said in ‘Unforgiven’ as he was about to blow Gene Hackman away: “Deserve ain’t got nothin to do with it.” Deserve is an after-the-fact/event moral observation ... not a universal force.

There are reasons for our laws being what they are, even as they frustrate many peoples’ righteous indignations. However flawed the laws are, they are pretty generally well founded in our constitutional philosophies and traditions. What sometimes allows a small minority of problem-causers to evade your sense of deserved justice, are protections for our personal freedoms as a larger society.

The willingness to override those imperfect laws and standards opens a Pandora’s box of trouble far worse than the trouble we deal with now.

The challenge is to be educated in the system, and its flaws and limitations - and use that erudition to devise new solutions to constantly evolving social disease ... just like finding new vaccines for new viruses.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:13 AM

Someone causing harm to others need to be isolated... that's what I believe. If we allowed anyone to do whatever they wanted, it is a fact, that our society would crumble and it is a fact that doctors can diagnose anyone with a mental disorder. Like the affluenza kid who is allowed to rape girls or drive drunk and kill people. I don't care what mental disorder title you give the person, they cause harm to others, they need to go. If you allow them to do whatever they want, we as a society will crumble. Those are facts.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Money isn't everything though. Tom Steyer has been outspending the other candidates for a long time and by huge multiples, yet Steyer hasn't gone much of anywhere.

Bloomberg on the other hand, has a lot of accomplishments to back his marketing effort. I agree that money can allow you to hire the best marketers, lawyers, etc, but you still have to have something good to market and people have to believe it.
Almost true:

1. Steyer is a well-intentioned nice guy who has considerable skill in business. But he can’t touch Bloomberg’s surgical talents.

2. You don’t really need to have something good to market though ... the world is jam-cram-packed full of total crap selling like hotcakes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies