Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:17 AM

18 posts, read 66,062 times

Advertisements

Politically and socially speaking, where does illinois stand? Especailly compared to California. Are most people there republicans or democrats? And is the lifestyle there free and liberal like cali, or is it more traditional or conservative like texas? or in between?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 03:41 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
The political trends over the years has leaned towards a blue stat.

I would probably feel pretty comfortable saying if you took cook county out of Illinois you would mainly be left with a red state.

No way is Illinois as conservative as Texas IMHO.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:30 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Chicago, portions of the Metro East, and usually the Champaign area are pretty strongly Democratic (especially Chicago); the rest of the state I would argue is probably moderate...a number of fiscal conservatives out there, definitely.

Now whether or not you equate Dems with liberals and Republicans with conservatives, that's a different story...Certainly even California isn't what many people would consider a true "liberal" state, and there are portions of CA that are very conservative. On the political spectrum, IL is much closer to CA than it is to TX, in my opinion (i.e. pretty Democratic leaning, but there are certainly a number of Republicans out there).

Old 04-14-2012, 07:04 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
What one experiences in Illinois depends upon where one lives. Also Illinois is solidly Midwestern. It cannot be compared to Boston or Dallas or even the Bay area. Traditionally Illinois residents who live in cities located on large bodies of water tend to share views that are more forgiving than the views of those who live in isolated landlocked areas. I think the majority of city governments in Illinois are conservative with some to the extreme, but even then, it is not smothering like church run cities.

Illinois is not a 2 or 3 major denomination state. It fairly represents all from the most popular and most secular to the least of all. The same can be said of personal politics, as well as business and social affiliations.

I do not make blanket statements about Illinois as I have not lived in every area. I know where I can normally find very conservative pockets of voters. However, when it comes to national politics, it is wise to remember that not all vote as expected, and not all voters are raised with deliberate bias toward or against any political platform or any religious view.

Last edited by linicx; 04-14-2012 at 07:39 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 21,950 times
Are you serious??? Chicago is loaded with Liberals....lol. Dems run the city, always have.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:33 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,343,307 times
Really!! I can't imagine a Republican surviving in Chicago. Must have heard Chicago Politics being mention more than few times. Now I lived in the Dairy country out in the Northwest area and they were all Republicans but their votes didn't get them much with Chicago running that State. Hugh property taxes which all went to Chicago. Take any State with high property taxes and you might be looking Democrat State. Not an expert so don't get down on me too much just an opinion.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:21 PM

Cook County Real Estate taxes stay in Cook County to support Cook County schools. Chicago Real Estate Taxes stay in Chicago to support Chicago schools. The largest proportion of Real Estate Tax is for schools. The balance of the State property tax is divided among services such as fire. police, hospitals, EMT, library, etc...

Old 04-14-2012, 07:26 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,215,396 times
I got made fun of because i was a republican, im not a democrat!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:39 PM

I grew up in a mixed family. Dad was the republican and mother was the democrat. I heard it for 50 years before he died. The one thing I did not hear was the name calling, lies and negative insults. The one thing I quickly learned is if you don't want to get picked on don't talk party platform or personal politics. It will antagonize someone somewhere.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:55 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,215,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
I grew up in a mixed family. Dad was the republican and mother was the democrat. I heard it for 50 years before he died. The one thing I did not hear was the name calling, lies and negative insults. The one thing I quickly learned is if you don't want to get picked on don't talk party platform or personal politics. It will antagonize someone somewhere.
Thanks but dont worry i already learned my own mistake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies