Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 11:26 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
This is what you get when you live in a state that continues to reward bad choices and shun personal responsibility.

Hooray for the Leftists utopia.
Did you know that the Bible Belt states have the highest rates of teen pregnancy and rates of STI infection. Hardly a "leftist utopia".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 11:27 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Do you know how long the wait is for a section 8 voucher? The average wait in California is 5 years and having a baby is probably not the best way to get a voucher, you have a better chance if you are disabled or elderly.

Actually in urban areas section 8 vouchers aren't high enough to secure a rental with one. .
The is to perhaps give some information:

In Colorado, I think,that once someone qualifies for Section 8 housing, it is very likely that social workers (or whoever) will make sure that you get as much (meaning bedrooms) as one needs. However, this is only based on my on-again/off-again relationship with one of the single moms I mentioned in an earlier post, who is a relative through adoption.

This young woman had three kids before she started on Section 8 housing, I think; and then when she acquired two more kids (her brothers, who were removed from their mother's custody) and a total of four or five pets (!!!), she was told she needed to move because she had too many people and animals living in it, and she is now is a four-bedroom apartment. Now, the reason I think that this person is on Section 8 housing is because I do know that she has a case worker and that she makes very little money from a part-time minimum-wage job, although I would think she has some child support from her middle-income ex-husband, the father of one of her kids.

Again, perhaps it is different in California, but at least in the case of this woman who lives in Colorado, she has never seemed to have any problem getting whatever she needed to support herself and her family. (And ditto for this woman's "low class" relatives.)

Now, to emphasize, I might be wrong about the above, so I am wondering if anyone "in the system" in similar circumstances has had a very different experience than she did.

P.S. I have also read in numerous posts from many different people that it much easier for a single mom to get a voucher than it is for someone who is disabled or elderly. Is that not true? (I honestly don't know if it is or not, but I am only relaying what I have read.)

And, again, what is true for one state might not be true for another -- right or wrong?

Old 02-07-2020, 11:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Only places in the US where women seem to be having babies, one after another, are Haredi communities primarily in NY and NJ

Reportedly the highest birth rate in the world right now is Lakewood, NJ. Not uncommon for a woman to have 10-12 children by the age of 35.

Oftentimes the fathers do not work and instead devote their time to religious studies.

The highest poverty rate in the US is in Kiryas Joel, NY, a Haredi community.

These communities vote as a block the waY their rabbis tell them to do. And the block can make or break local elections, if not more.

Subsidized housing, SNAP, TANF, and Medicaid are very important to these communities. There is an expectation of public accommodation.

If you question the community for their aggressive dependence on social welfare, you will likely be deemed anti- Semite.

Israel has a huge challenge with Haredi dependence and challenges to a secular government. Some Haredi communities are “ no go zones”. Outsiders, non religious Jews, are not welcome. Children are taught to harass outsiders and pelt them with rocks and soiled diapers.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:36 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
As I indicated, I wouldn't have a problem with that IF they could be identified, but how could that be done???
IL Republicans tried to pass a law that unwed mothers couldn't get public assistance benefits for themselves and their children unless they named their baby's (babies') father on their birth certificate so the state can try to recoup costs. Naturally, the IL Dems voted that down because it makes too much fiscal sense.

DNA testing could have been used if the father claimed it wasn't his child (children).

Old 02-07-2020, 11:40 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
There is going to be no solution unless:

1. People are willing to let children suffer for the poor choices of their parents, OR
2. People are willing to have the government enforce some means of reliable birth control on single moms

Most people are against both of the above, and I am strongly against #1, but I would love to require proof of either a current Depo shot or infertility before allowing any kind of government financial assistance -- but then that would mean that children would suffer, which is not acceptable to me!

It is a no-win situation for ALL concerned.

P.S. However, a the risk of incurring many howls of protest, I do think that every woman who receives SNAP assistance should receive a tubal ligation immediately after giving birth to her third child (and I would be tempted to say after her second child). I would also love it if there was a way to make a man who fathers numerous children with numerous mothers, but I think that would be almost impossible (or at least very difficult) to enforce. Imo, it is terrible that it is the women and children who suffer from reckless sex, while the men are often allowed to just walk away.
Well let's just sterilize all women who have 3 kids then because OMG one of them might end up on SNAP in the future even if they aren't on it now! More women would use birth control if it was free and readily available. And fewer women would have babies that they can't afford and never planned on having if the right-to-lifers would mind their own business and allow women access to low cost safe abortions.

Personally I would rather see poor children benefit from food programs like SNAP than to have them grow up malnourished, but that's just me...I have never felt a need or desire to punish the poor.

Old 02-07-2020, 11:48 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
The is to perhaps give some information:
In Colorado, I think,that once someone qualifies for Section 8 housing, it is very likely that social workers (or whoever) will make sure that you get as much (meaning bedrooms) as one needs. However, this is only based on my on-again/off-again relationship with one of the single moms I mentioned in an earlier post, who is a relative through adoption.

This young woman had three kids before she started on Section 8 housing, I think; and then when she acquired two more kids (her brothers, who were removed from their mother's custody) and a total of four or five pets (!!!), she was told she needed to move because she had too many people and animals living in it, and she is now is a four-bedroom apartment. Now, the reason I think that this person is on Section 8 housing is because I do know that she has a case worker and that she makes very little money from a part-time minimum-wage job, although I would think she has some child support from her middle-income ex-husband, the father of one of her kids.

Again, perhaps it is different in California, but at least in the case of this woman who lives in Colorado, she has never seemed to have any problem getting whatever she needed to support herself and her family. (And ditto for this woman's "low class" relatives.)

Now, to emphasize, I might be wrong about the above, so I am wondering if anyone "in the system" in similar circumstances has had a very different experience than she did.

P.S. I have also read in numerous posts from many different people that it much easier for a single mom to get a voucher than it is for someone who is disabled or elderly. Is that not true? (I honestly don't know if it is or not, but I am only relaying what I have read.)

And, again, what is true for one state might not be true for another -- right or wrong?
I don't follow this stuff about making sure you have enough bedrooms? The guidelines for family size/# of bedrooms is set by HUD, not by individual states. If she has a part time job and gets child support those sources of income are used to determine the rent she will pay for her section 8 housing which is set at 30% of income. BTW, who are her "low class relatives"? Her brothers who she took in so they wouldn't be put in foster homes? If so, then I think you and I have a different definition of "low class"

As far as 'who' gets Section 8 vouchers...I don't have recent information but I have no reason to believe that the numbers have changed. In 2010 49% of voucher recipients were elderly or disabled, 5.4% were TANF recipients https://www.cbpp.org/research/large-...e-disabilities

Old 02-07-2020, 11:55 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Well let's just sterilize all women who have 3 kids then because OMG one of them might end up on SNAP in the future even if they aren't on it now! More women would use birth control if it was free and readily available.
It is free and readily available :

2018 Title X Infographic - HHS

Old 02-07-2020, 12:06 PM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
I don't follow this stuff about making sure you have enough bedrooms? The guidelines for family size/# of bedrooms is set by HUD, not by individual states. If she has a part time job and gets child support those sources of income are used to determine the rent she will pay for her section 8 housing which is set at 30% of income. BTW, who are her "low class relatives"? Her brothers who she took in so they wouldn't be put in foster homes? If so, then I think you and I have a different definition of "low class"

As far as 'who' gets Section 8 vouchers...I don't have recent information but I have no reason to believe that the numbers have changed. In 2010 49% of voucher recipients were elderly or disabled, 5.4% were TANF recipients https://www.cbpp.org/research/large-...e-disabilities
I was referring to her and her brothers' bio mom, who lost five of her seven children (foster care and/or adoption) due to neglect, and also to the children's fathers for the most part, all but one who were felons. Now that might not be your definition of "low class", but it is mine. Of course, you are free to disagree.

Again, I am not an expert on the subject, which I tried to make clear. No need for snark.

Last edited by katharsis; 02-07-2020 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-07-2020, 12:14 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Only places in the US where women seem to be having babies, one after another, are Haredi communities primarily in NY and NJ

Reportedly the highest birth rate in the world right now is Lakewood, NJ. Not uncommon for a woman to have 10-12 children by the age of 35.

Oftentimes the fathers do not work and instead devote their time to religious studies.

The highest poverty rate in the US is in Kiryas Joel, NY, a Haredi community.

These communities vote as a block the waY their rabbis tell them to do. And the block can make or break local elections, if not more.

Subsidized housing, SNAP, TANF, and Medicaid are very important to these communities. There is an expectation of public accommodation.

If you question the community for their aggressive dependence on social welfare, you will likely be deemed anti- Semite.

Israel has a huge challenge with Haredi dependence and challenges to a secular government. Some Haredi communities are “ no go zones”. Outsiders, non religious Jews, are not welcome. Children are taught to harass outsiders and pelt them with rocks and soiled diapers.
I think I read in wiki about kiryas neol is the only place or community that is
Like 98% jewish in the whole world.

. You cant point out that they are ob social welfare. And you cant point about hem beibg billionaires. Poor us.

Old 02-07-2020, 12:18 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
How about birth control for the men who can impregnate many women in one day ?? Force the baby daddies to get snipped.
you can't force people that would be barbaric. However i do think if you offered people getting welfare, including medicaid, because they have babies we could offer to pay them to be snipped or have the tubes tied. it would be cheaper to pay them 10k each then pay for every baby. Of course you would face the cries of "racism" if you did so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies