Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 11:01 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Why should I read PP propaganda?

Here's an example of the truth:

Chippewa Falls, WI. Population about 14,000.

PP whines and complains that they have to close their facility in Chippewa Falls due to lack of funding.

What PP doesn't tell you or anyone else is that Chippewa Falls, WI, population 14,000, already has two Title X Clinics according to the HHS Title X Clinic locator, so the PP facility was redundant and unnecessary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2020, 11:11 AM

20,117 posts, read 9,032,117 times
tents are cheap, tarps are even cheaper, California has nice weather, there's the answer.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:12 AM

20,117 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
As well as the father or he can be given the baby at birth and she can walk away ...
women's body, women's choice right?

Old 02-08-2020, 11:23 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
It is not just California.

We are in the Midwest and there is a pretty big demand for housing here, though not as big a demand as Cali. One of our rental units became available last week. By Friday, we already had half a dozen applications. This is the middle of the winter. This past summer, we as soon as our units are online we got a dozen applications for each unit within minutes.

I really think there is a shortage of housing everywhere. We only hear about Cali, though.

Edit.

And we require all our applicants to pay the $30 for background check to even be considered.

Last edited by MetroWord; 02-08-2020 at 11:38 AM..

Old 02-08-2020, 11:26 AM

8,244 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
As I understand it, TANF requires the establishment of bio paternity as a condition for ongoing eligibility and requires states to establish paternity in 90% of the cases.

The state then pursues the bio father for child support. This can lead to DNA testing. Imagine a percentage of bio fathers have no reported income , or are untraceable or in prison.

Mothers have a cap of 5 years of TANF benefits ( not necessarily consecutive) unless they work or train for work or are in school for at least 20 hours a week.
No, the mothers have to work and/or attend school during the time they are collecting. The five years are not extended. Some states do not allow five years. Those who are in school have to work to make up for the hours difference between the school and the required hours per week. When I was still affected by it, the work hours required were 30 per week. I was in college full time, but only ten hours are counted. I had to do additional twenty elsewhere. I couldn't find a job, so I had to do a welfare work-study for those twenty additional hours per week. I had to stay in school and take out student loans to do so because employers refused to employ me. With the interest, the loan balance is now over $173k and it keeps growing because of the interest. If it weren't for some of the interest on some of the loans being subsidized, I would owe a whole lot more than that. It's just never going to be paid.

A lot of the single mothers on welfare who went the college route for the program requirements ended up in massive loan debt and the only one I know of who didn't end up still struggling after college was one who got lucky and married her way out of poverty. The rest of them ended up with low wage jobs and not able to pay the loans. College didn't really help them. There are not decent jobs around here for most people, and many single mothers are required to get permission to move out of state due to custody issues. If you have a choice between losing your child(ren) and making a few extra bucks an hour and having the extra earnings go towards paying child support to your ex or staying put and getting whatever low wage job will have you, which are most mothers going to choose? These issues are never addressed during welfare reform. If the area where the single mother is confined lacks decent jobs she cannot just up and move or she can lose custody to the father even if he isn't really in the children's lives that much. Most mothers don't want to lose their children.

Old 02-08-2020, 12:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
Uh, many families could be helped if these super rich celebrities gave enough money to the point of near bankruptcy.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:40 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Except for Chapter's specific commentary at the beginning of the video: "Public Service Announcement: This is where the taxpayer money goes."

And you don't think that's goading?

Old 02-08-2020, 04:46 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Simple factoid; When you subsidize childbirth and babies, you get more of em
More general version-when you reward bad behavior, you get more bad behavior. And we have become a nation that rewards bad behavior. The OPs premise is a part. Our pathetically soft "criminal justice" system that treats criminals better than their victims is another. Rewarding failures that rack up huge student loan debt and then can't get a job in a field that pays a decent wage is another.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:49 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why should I read PP propaganda?

Here's an example of the truth:
Chippewa Falls, WI. Population about 14,000.
PP whines and complains that they have to close their facility in Chippewa Falls due to lack of funding.
What PP doesn't tell you or anyone else is that Chippewa Falls, WI, population 14,000, already has two Title X Clinics according to the HHS Title X Clinic locator, so the PP facility was redundant and unnecessary.
Kaiser has no connection to planned parenthood, but predictably when confronted with a fact you don't like you try to create a new narrative.

Old 02-08-2020, 04:50 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
More general version-when you reward bad behavior, you get more bad behavior. And we have become a nation that rewards bad behavior. The OPs premise is a part. Our pathetically soft "criminal justice" system that treats criminals better than their victims is another. Rewarding failures that rack up huge student loan debt and then can't get a job in a field that pays a decent wage is another.
Well, that's just fascinating- now let's see you back it up with some data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies