Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 06:43 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I don't think most black people care who the President is.
While blacks people certainly could do a better job of getting to the polls, I would disagree with the idea that we don’t care who our leader is. I think most of us want a leader who values us.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:22 PM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Exactly! Why ARE we paying far less attention to them than the average white person? They typically aren’t on our radar? Perhaps it’s about having black scapegoats?
I can't think of any other reason than having a Black scapegoat. At the same time, I also think of this. It isn't just Sharpton, Jackson, and Farrakhan that I hardly ever hear Blacks mention. Whenever I'm here on city-data, I hear more mention from White conservatives regarding who Blacks vote for than I hear from Blacks. For every time I've heard a Black person make disparaging comments about Black Republicans, I've heard more White conservatives complain about Blacks voting Democrat, or make comments alluding to "Blacks should vote Republican". I'm merely talking about what I've personally seen and heard.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:16 PM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
The American black population is 12 percent. That 12 percent wont do much damage on national elections, however can bring change locally or in states where black American is the largest demographic. Blacks putting thier votes for 3rd party on national stage wont do much unless everyone regardless of race supports a 3rd party.
Agreed. Please mention this to asians, latinos and other immigrants you know too. Then you'll see politicians stop doing non common sense things.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
With Mossville, many residents got bought out. Many people have moved away with the expansion of the Sasol plant. Basically, people being displaced from the refineries in their backyard. It goes to back to those who are the most vulnerable are often those being treated as the most disposable. What do you think would have happened if those same things with tried with Sulphur and Westlake?

Baton Rouge is part of Cancer Alley. Putting refineries in near downtown affects alot of people.

Uh oh! It looks like SASOL is in some financial trouble.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...financial-woes

https://www.iol.co.za/business-repor...eered-45223895

Old 04-26-2020, 09:39 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Doesn't matter. Black folks don't vote. If they did at high percentages the political landscape would look very different. The south would look VERY different.
I really beg to differ on this one. In fact since I moved to the south I have noticed black voting participation seems to be much higher than when I grew up in New York. Down here you are almost seen like an outcast in the black community if you do not vote, there are much more negative connotations in the south from the black community if you do not vote than in New York. The big issue here is most whites will always vote republican no matter who is running, anything with a D next to it is overlooked by most whites down here. It kills me how many poor whites down here are always sticking up for millionaires and billionaires more than people who have more in common with them economically. Anything with a D next to it is labeled as "Commie" by most whites from what I have seen down here.

Old 04-26-2020, 09:45 PM

24,642 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Kanye West, now a billionaire, is voting for Donald Trump this year

Quote:
Both my parents were freedom fighters," West said. "They didn't fight for me to be told by white people which white person I can vote on."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-2020-n1185346

Good to see another rich successful black man refusing to be a monolithic sheep like most in the black community. No wonder he’s so prosperous when he’s not afraid to think for himself.

The black community lost their mind when Kanye said “slavery was a choice” and then jumped back on his bandwagon when he made a church album then became a black billionaire through his successful shoe deal.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:00 PM

I really could not care less who Kanye votes for. Unlike some, I don't believe that all Trump supporters are bad people.

That being said, Kanye is all over the place and it seems like he will take whatever side gives him the most attention. The "slavery was a choice" statement was ridiculous. It made no sense. As far as jumping on his bandwagon? I'm not so sure about that one; I guess it depends on the metro that you reside in. His church album really wasn't talked about much in my neck of the woods.

I say all of that to say that I hope that the next President elect (Dem or Rep) takes environmental issues more seriously as this is something that is very detrimental to black communities and ultimately all other communities.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 04-26-2020 at 10:11 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 10:15 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,758,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
I really beg to differ on this one. In fact since I moved to the south I have noticed black voting participation seems to be much higher than when I grew up in New York. Down here you are almost seen like an outcast in the black community if you do not vote, there are much more negative connotations in the south from the black community if you do not vote than in New York. The big issue here is most whites will always vote republican no matter who is running, anything with a D next to it is overlooked by most whites down here. It kills me how many poor whites down here are always sticking up for millionaires and billionaires more than people who have more in common with them economically. Anything with a D next to it is labeled as "Commie" by most whites from what I have seen down here.
Look at the data. Black ELIGIBLE voters vs actual voters. It's shocking how much the right to vote is taken for granted after people died for it.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Look at the data. Black ELIGIBLE voters vs actual voters. It's shocking how much the right to vote is taken for granted after people died for it.

I definitely agree on the bold, and sadly SOME of them make the decision not to vote without even so much as seeing what the candidates are about. We absolutely have to do our homework on candidates regardless of voting or lack of. Either way, we will be affected (either positively or negatively) by whoever gets the seat.

Old 04-26-2020, 10:32 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,597,549 times
Quote:
I know exactly what you meant, no need to capitalize it, my eyes see just fine. I have seen the data from various places and I think the numbers are very overblown. I go by my day to day experience with other blacks, and not just data floating around on the internet. Case in point, I have seen several people on my Facebook timeline share the photo below with number that don't even add up. Yes, even many blacks folks seem to get off on shaming other black folks without having all of the proper facts. In some of the cities below, the total black population is not even half or even a third of what these numbers claim of black people not voting. This is exactly why I am skeptical when people put so much of this on us!!
Attached Thumbnails
DEAR BLACK PEOPLE perhaps some of us SHOULD register as Republicans-92400800_3172051356161644_6570705638190481408_n.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies