Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2020, 05:46 PM

73,125 posts, read 62,950,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
As a black man who always has a professional look (the only exception is when I have to go to Home Depot in the middle of a DIY job--and even then I look like a professional carpenter), I'm not so stupid as to believe I won't be stopped and frisked.

I've been stopped and frisked even in Air Force dress uniform with big silver stripes running from elbow to shoulder and the cops holding my military ID in their hands.

And I had been the one who called them.
I feel the same way. I do not believe for a moment that dressing professionally will keep me from getting stopped and frisked. It could happen for any reason. My father has been pulled over and even addressed rudely by a police officer, while being dressed in professional manner.

The fact that you got stopped and frisked in your Air Force uniform tells me this: That officer had no respect for you. That officer saw you as a threat, as "just another Black man". It also shows that dressing respectably and being a respectable person won't shield a Black man from being treated like a suspect/criminal.

I also get this from your encounter. Some people view stop and frisk from this perspective: "In order for us to feel safe, the innocent must suffer for the guilty. Black people must give up their civil liberties/rights in order for the rest of society to feel safe". I do really think there are individuals who think that way.

Old 02-23-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
Their are supposed to stop due to probably cause and reasonable suspension. Appearance does play its part. Example black person a and black person b. Black person a is wearing air Jordan's, has. A bottle of hennesy in his hand and jeans below his waste. Than you have black person b walking with a bottle of wine, well put together attire, has. A professional look. Which black person will a police officer stop and frisk. Black person A or black person b? Please don't be stupid and say both.
Drinking and dressing a certain way is not a reason to pull someone over. Stop and Frisk is still a violation of the 4th Amendment. Anyone who feels that I should give up my 4th Amendment rights so that they can feel safe, answer this for me: Why should I?

Old 02-23-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Hence the reason, as green_mariner said, telling the two main parties to take a hike wouldn't be a bad idea. But we do need more of us (blacks) creating policies, laws, etc that would benefit us.
I've thought about it because I'm thinking maybe both parties would have to think about why they take for granted. I do agree that candidates who actually listen to Black people and take strong into consideration the policies and laws that would help Black people immensely. One good idea is to make sure Stop and Frisk is not implemented.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:22 AM

3,766 posts, read 1,462,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm going to be blunt. I don't care how much "need" there was for stop and frisk. I will never support it. I have personally been a crime victim and I still refuse to support it. I see it as a violation of civil liberties. I want to be safe, but I'm not willing to sacrifice civil liberties for it.

I'll definitely vote for whom I feel is right. And right now, Trump is not the candidate that I'm looking too. If Biden or Bloomberg ever end up winning the Democratic nomination, I might just pick a 3rd party AGAIN.

By the way, I support Bernie Sanders too.
Please listen to this. I agree with these two men.

https://youtu.be/tkKglpnKyss

Old 02-24-2020, 08:40 AM

28,719 posts, read 18,935,563 times
Quote:

What do you think they said?

I know what I think they said, and I have some disagreements and some agreements, but I'm listening through the filter of my own background.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:10 PM

3,081 posts, read 3,240,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Your premise is seriously flawed. If you look at any minority (not just blacks) as a disadvantaged minority group amongst a majority then just examining the raw numbers will reveal that, blacks make up 12.6% of the total population in the USA.

Even ignoring incarceration rates and states with no-voting-for-felons, splitting the non-hispanic black vote amongst two parties seriously dilutes the voting power of non-hispanic blacks as a group.

Given that 90+% of republicans are non-hispanic whites (2% of republicans are non hispanic black) and that 22% of democrats are non-hispanic black (60% are non-hispanic white) then you would effectively remove the (already small) voice that black minorities have in politics. Things are bad enough for people of that ethnicity in general (it was a Democratic mayor that enacted stop-and-frisk in NYC), I'm not sure why anyone would suggest a hare-brained move that would encourage even more marginalization.

Keep in mind that hispanics already make up a larger % of the US population than non-hispanic blacks, and that % is still growing. At some point (if it hasn't happened already), the latins/hispanics will supplant blacks as the preeminent voting bloc. They have a higher household income and cultural/economic/political bases of power that are stronger and geographically closer than those of non-hispanic blacks.

Last, and most important... why in the world would a political party with entrenched leaders and policies make any sorts of concessions or changes for groups who were already joining their ranks. If you think that +/- 8% of the republican voter base being black is going to make them back off of VoterID, or efforts to dismantle affirmative action, etc. then you're mistaken.

All you would see is more income inequality, more incarceration, more Flint Michigans, etc. This country has a long history of running roughshod over minorities, and even though cultural attitudes are still changing, the system is demonstrably still rigged against minorities.
I wouldn't say that my premise is flawed as it really wasn't so much focused on voting, but influence. I'd like to see more of us running for office in all parties and in all areas of government-federal, state, and local. That being said, in order for us to successfully win, we do need more black people to take voting seriously. It pains me when I hear other black people talk about how they don't vote or even do their homework on the candidates as they will be impacted whether they vote or not.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:14 PM

3,081 posts, read 3,240,887 times
Quote:
Drinking and dressing a certain way is not a reason to pull someone over. Stop and Frisk is still a violation of the 4th Amendment. Anyone who feels that I should give up my 4th Amendment rights so that they can feel safe, answer this for me: Why should I?
Right. Even in the former guys case, one still have to have a REASON to investigate him. Was he running from somewhere? Did a store just get robbed that he was seen near? As ridiculous as sagging pants are, it's not automatically a reason to stop and frisk. Same with Hennessey®.

Otherwise the 4th Amendment only applies to select citizens.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:

I don't have alot of time to listen to it its entirety, not all in the same time. However, looking at the minutes listed, I can't find anything about Stop & Frisk. I still haven't been given a good reason to be for it.

Old 02-24-2020, 01:55 PM

3,766 posts, read 1,462,180 times
Quote:
I don't have alot of time to listen to it its entirety, not all in the same time. However, looking at the minutes listed, I can't find anything about Stop & Frisk. I still haven't been given a good reason to be for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Right. Even in the former guys case, one still have to have a REASON to investigate him. Was he running from somewhere? Did a store just get robbed that he was seen near? As ridiculous as sagging pants are, it's not automatically a reason to stop and frisk. Same with Hennessey®.

Otherwise the 4th Amendment only applies to select citizens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

I know what I think they said, and I have some disagreements and some agreements, but I'm listening through the filter of my own background.

I give up. I'm not African American and not ados. Even I grew up around black American and very wonderful relationships with black women which are very positive. I'm going to bow out of what is best for the black American due to my world view being very different.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:25 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,090,093 times
Black people seem to thrive with Trump. The left hires blacks in support of them with someone like Trump in there. I would want Trump if I was black to capitalize on the situation. Seems clear to me from the outside looking in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies