Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2020, 12:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,797 times

Advertisements

It’s like I said. Others think that black people are too stupid to make informed opinions about our lives and surroundings.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 02-26-2020 at 01:23 PM..

Old 02-26-2020, 01:41 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Take Brian Kemp as an example. When he was Secretary of State in Georgia, he purged alot of people from the voter rolls. Alot of those plersons were still alive and living in Georgia. Kemp had over 200 polling stations closed down. A large number of those were in predominantly Black areas. And then the voting machines in some areas, the way they were distributed, wasn't as it should have been. Some places had voting machiines that didn't function properly, especially in majority-minority areas. What made this even crazier is that when he ran for governor of Georgia, he never officially stepped down as Secretary of State. He won the election and is the current Governor of Georgia. Kemp had ways of trying voter suppression. And it worked for him.

A Federal Judge- who happens to be a Democrat, African-American, and appointed by none other than President Barack Obama- ruled that Kemp acted properly.

That is the law in your state. Everyone has to follow it. With rights come responsibilities.

Good Grief! Do you really think that low of us? Do you really think we want to return to the bad old days and deny you your rights? What a despicable thing to believe.

I don't care if you vote GOP- I don't always. I care that you vote and keep your registration in good standing.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:07 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
In my hometown there we have a few water plants but for the most part the oil refineries are in Westlake and Sulphur. That was the problem with pollution in Mossville. It’s a black community sandwhiched between the two towns mentioned above.

Baton Rouge, OTOH has a refinery just north of downtown.
With Mossville, many residents got bought out. Many people have moved away with the expansion of the Sasol plant. Basically, people being displaced from the refineries in their backyard. It goes to back to those who are the most vulnerable are often those being treated as the most disposable. What do you think would have happened if those same things with tried with Sulphur and Westlake?

Baton Rouge is part of Cancer Alley. Putting refineries in near downtown affects alot of people.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:30 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
So I've got your attention with the title of the thread. Good. This is something to think about. This was the party we gravitated to towards the past, until the 1960s. Perhaps we could fix what was broken in this party which resulted in the massive flee.

This could also apply to registering for other mainstream parties.

If we got more of us flooding OTHER parties we could be of more influence at some point. I think the focus should be about way more than simply "having a seat at the table." I'd like to see more of us running for political positions in both parties. Specifically more CENTER left and CENTER right. I don't think that either extreme side is a good thing. The far left and far right are actually pretty similar if you think about it. They both play the race card, they both use identify politics, they both lack empathy for those who disagree at all with them. Both extremes lack any compassion for those who they deem not to be up to their standards.

Changing the climate of both of the mainstream parties would actually be of a great advantage to us in the sense that we could see that we are not at the bottom of the list. The influence could start at the local government and work it's way up to the federal level.

I'm not telling anyone to just go run and register with any particular party, however this is something to think about and would make for an interesting dialogue.

What do you think? Should we be focused on changing the climate of each party and ideology or focus on forming separate political parties that mimic the current ones? Should we just put all of our energy into a third party or register as Independents? Also, why do you think that moderation/centrism seems to be virtually non-existent today?

In the event that the action suggested above is taken, what issues do you think should be priority?

...snip...
One only needs to look as far as Wikipedia to see that, if Barry Goldwater comments were what caused it, then how do you explain the following from that article;

"When the bill came before the full Senate for debate on March 30, 1964, the "Southern Bloc" of 18 southern Democratic Senators and one Republican Senator led by Richard Russell (D-GA) launched a filibuster to prevent its passage. Said Russell: "We will resist to the bitter end any measure or any movement which would have a tendency to bring about social equality and intermingling and amalgamation of the races in our (Southern) states."

The Democrats were the ones fighting its passage, and if it weren't for the Republicans it wouldn't have become law. If you read on you'll see that the filibuster reached 60 days in length and was the first time a filibuster for a civil rights bill was beaten down by cloture, after some alterations to the bill were made. It was probably about his time when certain hucksters found out they could make a living leading African Americans to the Democrats, for nothing in return. Except the leaders made out like bandits, while the people they led, got nothing. Something one candidate for President said, who never won the election in the first place, causes a whole group of people to vote Democrat? No, I think the race hustlers had something to do with that.

Last edited by Cruzincat; 02-26-2020 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-26-2020, 02:38 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
A Federal Judge- who happens to be a Democrat, African-American, and appointed by none other than President Barack Obama- ruled that Kemp acted properly.

According to the laws of the state, yeah.

Jim Crow laws in Georgia were also legal according to the laws of the state at the time. Nobody said his actions were illegal...but that doesn't make them moral.

Quote:
Good Grief! Do you really think that low of us? Do you really think we want to return to the bad old days and deny you your rights? What a despicable thing to believe.

Republicans in Congress are moving to repeal the Voting Rights Act, so yes, I do think that of Republicans.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:48 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
According to the laws of the state, yeah.

Jim Crow laws in Georgia were also legal according to the laws of the state at the time. Nobody said his actions were illegal...but that doesn't make them moral.

Republicans in Congress are moving to repeal the Voting Rights Act, so yes, I do think that of Republicans.
Please stop. Really, just stop.

We are not talking about Jim Crow laws. We were talking about a case of supposed voter suppression. The evidence clearly states that was not the case.

And yea, Jim Crow laws were finally struck down- something I would think you would know.

If Republicans are moving to repeal the Voting Rights Act it is due to it's mission having been accomplished. Blacks already had the right to vote- it's called the Constitution i.e. the law of the land. Nefarious politicians- usually Democrats- used means to stop them. The Act used Federal Oversight to stop that. Now, more than a half century later, local jurisdictions would simply like the Feds off their back. If chicanery returns, you, me, and everyone else will unite to stop it.

As I said, I don't give a crap who you vote for. You can vote for Gus Hall Jr for all I care. But I will be damned if I will let your lying- that is what it is- go unchallenged.

Just stop.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:28 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,108,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
What I find picular about the African American is that they are culturally conservative, but still vote Democrat. Many African Americans are just as conservative as white Americans who vote Republican. During the 2020 national election. I expect about 1/4 - 1/3 African American American to vote for Trump at most. While the remainder of black men and 99 percent of African American women will vote Dem.
By that sentence alone, I know:

1) you are not black, and

2) if, by some weird chance, you are black, then you are definitely out of touch.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:07 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
I would expect a smarmy remark from you. I'll just be blunt. Black Americans are looked down on and treted worse than anyone else, aside from Native Americans. We have to deal with more than other groups do. Of course I wouldn't expect you to understand or care. When stop and frisk gets implemented, it will be Black people who get targeted by it more than anyone else. See New York City for an example. There are individuals who admit that police officers tend to be more jumpy around Black men, and have a reason to be. And there are individuals who would prefer to hire individuals of other races, but not Blacks. Job discrimination still affects Blacks more than other groups. One person on this thread admitted that if Blacks move to his neighborhood, he's leaving. I obsess because I have to look out for myself. If I don't look out for me, who else will?

Even better, why does anyone care who Blacks vote for, as if who Blacks vote for will hurt everyone else?
"I'll just be blunt. Black Americans are looked down on and treted worse than anyone else"

I'll just be blunt. Only in your dreams. Stop and frisk got implemented in HIGH CRIME AREAS which HAPPENED to have HIGH BLACK POPULATIONS.

" Of course I wouldn't expect you to understand or care."

Heaven forbid we stop stop a black person who DO COMMIT MOST of The crime in those areas.

I recall a story from Balt whenr a BLACK elderly woman was robbed on the street and ID's the robber as "a young black man, thin, about 6'tall, etc.

The police official in charge put out an APP using that description and was suspended for "profiling" by his boss who also happened to be black.

In response the suspended officer asked "should we waste our time stopping WHITE guys, etc."

Face it, you just can't handle the FACT that MOST of these types of crime ARE COMMITTED in these areas by blacks and you don't want then caught.

You will NEVER accept most are committed by blacks. " Of course I wouldn't expect you to understand or care."

WITH S&F these types of crimes WENT DOWN, and you DON'T care.

To you, it is ALL about race.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:13 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
This could happen on a local level, depending on what state it is. However, on a national level, I don't see this happening, even if said GOP candidate wanted to. It's very difficult to appeal to Black Americans and the GOP base all at once. There are those who will look at truly appealing to Black Americans as "pandering to Blacks". There are those who would resent someone acknowledging that discrimination is still a big problem in America.
"There are those who would resent someone acknowledging that discrimination is still a big problem in America"

When are BLACKS and liberal lefties going to STOP THEIR discrimination against WHITES?

Old 02-27-2020, 06:56 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
To you, it is ALL about race.
If you take a hard, thorough look... then yes it is all about race due to this country's legacy. Keep in mind that blacks (and women for that matter) have been able to vote for less than a century. However there are no laws on the books or language in real estate deeds barring them from being sold to women, but there are for blacks.

If you systematically oppress, imprison, discriminate against, underemploy, undereducate, and segregate a group of people based on their *race*, then it was cause an entire slew of problems that disproportionately affect people based on their *race*.

Also, without fail... whenever any ideas or legislation come through to try to address some of the symptoms of these issues... voting rights acts, affirmative action, Title IX, hate crime laws, racial profiling etc... you have privileged or otherwise unaffected people claiming that they are unfair or unjust.

My suggestion to you is to wake up. There is a deep dark well of insidious policies, laws, attitudes and indifference when it comes to various marginalized groups in this country (women, foreigners, gays, other ethnicities, etc) and its not something you're going learn about from NPR, CNN, or in any public or private high school or grade school that I've ever heard of. If you're really lucky you might get a taste of it at some colleges.

That being the case, unless you happen to be a student of history (which you clearly aren't given your post), or a sociologist/anthropologist then let me be one of the first to tell you that you are making your argument from a place of extreme ignorance.

Its similar to the original post in this thread. Frankly, a very very bad, ill-informed idea that would do a lot of harm and cause a lot of problems if it were not pre-empted by a lot of changes to how our systems and societal norms operate. I won't hold my breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies