Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 03:45 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,226,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Perhaps I can answer this question. Black people, contrary to what their voting habits indicate, are actually quite diverse when it comes to their own political thoughts. The reason that we overwhelmingly vote Democrat is because we rarely see Republicans who aren't incredibly condescending or overwhelmingly racist. I would argue that half of the blacks in this thread really should be registered as Republicans, but right now the largest voices don't do a good job of making that particular party very inviting to those who are not of Germanic origin.
I need to emphasize that I’m referring to Republicans who run for office. I forgot to specify that in my original statement.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:54 PM

62,990 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL - you are actually an example of the person that poster is describing.

You trying to tell black people what black issues are is condescending.

You thinking that white people's feelings should trump the feelings of black people (should be superior to their views/feelings on teaching actual American history lol) is an overwhelmingly racist perspective.

ETA: I'll note, that I am one of the people that pandora is probably speaking of since I am actually pretty moderate and have voted for Republican governors and congressmen/women. I also was a registered Republican until I early voted in the Democratic primary (Ohio goes by your participation in the primary).

However, as I'm sure I've noted before in this thread, my politics are specifically about black people and our needs as a demogrpahic. Oftentimes our needs and politics are such that will benefit the entire country. As such I am not a party-liner and I don't think either major party is racist-less. They both have racism within their party members. The difference between the GOP and the Dems is that Dems actually have black members and they speak to/work on issues of importance to black people such as myself. The GOP does in lower level races in certain states, but nationally, and especially not during presidential election season, they rarely, if ever focus on issues of importance to black people. I'll note as a black person who is similar to your black "friend" in that I have a job and good income and don't complain about life - that I personally DGAF about prison reform. Focusing on prisoners is not focusing on black people since 99% of black people in this country are not imprison lol. The idea that the only issues that we care about are related to jail/prison or to poverty programs is pretty hilarious to me and condescending and indicative of your party being similar to yourself in that you do not value black views/thought and you do not want to listen to us and see what you can do to policy-wise in regards to certain issues that we face and want addressed. Democrats actually will take on those initiatives. I wanted to vote for Elizabeth Warren in the primary, but she dropped out so I voted for Biden. Warren addressed in her platform basically everything I wrote earlier to you. Which is why it is extra funny to me that you don't know anything about black issues. Look at what issues that Dems are speaking about and you will see what issues we have. You can provide alternatives to those issues that we can consider. I'll note many of the black issues that even Warren noted were ones that are from the more left wing progressive blacks. She had some for those of us in the middle/moderate camp and some for the more conservative black people as well. We do have a lot of diversity in black American in regards to our issues. But we all pretty much agree that being black is political in and of itself and as such we need to focus on supporting candidates that don't act like we don't exist politically so shouldn't be listened to.
Me asking what black issues are that are different than any other race of Americans is a valid question. How is that condesending? Why not just answer the question? Why do I have to ask the Dems rather than black people themselves?

Quote you: "You thinking that white people's feelings should trump the feelings of black people (should be superior to their views/feelings on teaching actual American history lol) is an overwhelmingly racist perspective".

Where did I say or even imply that white people's feeling should trump the feelings of black people? As for history, when I was in school the Civil Rights Era and slavery was taught so I don't know WTH you are talking about. Where's the racist perspective?

Since when doesn't the GOP have black members among their ranks? Huh?

Just what hasn't the GOP been doing for blacks that you think they should be doing? Why are you focused on your own race anyway? We are all Americans. Why not focus on the needs of all Americans collectively? I hate the tribal/victim mentality of many Americans. It's what divides us not unites us.

Old 03-13-2020, 03:56 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Perhaps I can answer this question. Black people, contrary to what their voting habits indicate, are actually quite diverse when it comes to their own political thoughts. The reason that we overwhelmingly vote Democrat is because we rarely see Republicans who aren't incredibly condescending or overwhelmingly racist. I would argue that half of the blacks in this thread really should be registered as Republicans, but right now the largest voices don't do a good job of making that particular party very inviting to those who are not of Germanic origin.
I think politics is complicated and because of that, I wouldnt say half, maybe like 15 to 20%. I also think more black people are far left than polls show as well.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:49 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Nothing funny nor untruthful that a lot of blacks are successful and my friend is one of them. Sure, many are not either but who's fault is that? I think its silly to want black history specifically taught in our schools. It's just a way of beating up whites today for a past they never played a role in. We are never going back to the 50's in that respect anyway. It serves no purpose but to perpetuate white guilt.
Why is it that people believe success is based solely on the individual ? I mean, you would never say that about say surgery because you understand the skill of the doctor is at play rather than your "will to live"

If you want to start a business, are you not also at the whim of the Loan officer at the bank ? The Store front property owner ? The probate judge who approves the business license ? The retailer you buy your equipment from ? The inspector who approves the property to open once everything is in place ?

Quote:
I haven't heard that black women are more at risk in childbirth than any other race of women. Why would that be? Got a link to your claims? Minorities are always claiming that LE are racially profiling them. When they are working in poor minority areas who is likely to be committing the most crimes? I know there are some bad cops but most are not. Not sure I agree about keeping a database on them though as many people lose their jobs for various reasons but are worth a second chance. I doubt if convicted of racial profiling that they are even considered for the same type of job though.
De jure racism vs de facto racism LOL

De Jure racism - The law allowing it, is dying, and most officers do not participate in it.

De facto racism - racism based on patterns from when De Jure was happening, is alive and well.

We have 4 decades of drug use studies that show black and white people use drugs at the same rate, which actually means there are 5 times the number of white drug users than black drug users based on the pure numbers of white people in this nation vs black (200 million vs 39 million). Yet, our jails and prisons are not filled with white people when it comes to drugs.

Quote:
I think we should have voter ID laws and that's all I have to say about that. I don't see this as a black issue.
But it is a black issue because its the polling places and the DMV's in black areas that get shut down. Rural white areas tend to not have the same problems.

Quote:
How about the districts that get more representation because they have millions of illegal aliens in them? I don't see how this is a black issue except illegal aliens create environment issues for all of us. Guess that party is protecting them from deportation? You don't think that blacks and other Americans are losing their jobs to them?
Texas 23rd congressional is an example of why you are wrong.

Its a hispanic district on paper, but republicans win it because they know about 30% of the districts population cant vote. So they purposefully gerrymander out Democratic areas that can vote, and put in Conservative areas that can

The most competitive race in the state and it was 21st out of 36 races in total votes cast. Having 110,000 less votes than the highest vote getting district.

This gerrymander problem also hurts black representation.

Alabama 7th and 2nd for example.

Both districts are under populated for different , but similar reasons.

the 7th, the majority black district which has most of the city of Birmingham in it is large and broad to purposefully compact the black vote into one district, even grabbing the western Montgomery suburbs.

The second, has part of Montgomery,but its suburbs split between 3 different districts

You wind up with 1 Democratic district, when you should have atleast 2 in this state.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:52 PM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Please describe this so-called condescendjng and overwhelmingly racist attitude by the Republicans. I'll wait.
So maybe you'd like to explain why Republicans ranting angrily about the BLM movement, who dare to ask for an end to race-based police brutality - why do Republicans call BLM, "terrorists"? Why do Republicans say the BLM should be jailed? Why do Republicans say they should be shot?

Why do Republicans call the Southern Poverty Law Center, who fight for civil rights for many groups, including African Americans - why do Republicans call them "terrorists" too? and call for their elimination?

As far as Trump specifically, why did Trump say that African American football players who kneel to protest police brutality, are SOBs, and told them to go back to Africa if they didn't like police brutality?

Why did Trump call Mexicans filthy? Why did he call them a bunch of rapists and drug runners and murderers?

Why did Trump call African and Caribbean nations s--thole nations? Why has he strongly curtailed legal immigration from these nations? Why did he say we need more Norwegians and Swedes immigrating here?

Why do the leaders of the Klan, Nazis and white supremacy groups support Trump? Why do they shout "Heil Trump!"at their rallies?

Old 03-14-2020, 07:46 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
We need more republicans so we can fight the big government failures in the republican party. Local control is best.

Old 03-14-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So maybe you'd like to explain why Republicans ranting angrily about the BLM movement, who dare to ask for an end to race-based police brutality - why do Republicans call BLM, "terrorists"? Why do Republicans say the BLM should be jailed? Why do Republicans say they should be shot?

Why do Republicans call the Southern Poverty Law Center, who fight for civil rights for many groups, including African Americans - why do Republicans call them "terrorists" too? and call for their elimination?

As far as Trump specifically, why did Trump say that African American football players who kneel to protest police brutality, are SOBs, and told them to go back to Africa if they didn't like police brutality?

Why did Trump call Mexicans filthy? Why did he call them a bunch of rapists and drug runners and murderers?

Why did Trump call African and Caribbean nations s--thole nations? Why has he strongly curtailed legal immigration from these nations? Why did he say we need more Norwegians and Swedes immigrating here?

Why do the leaders of the Klan, Nazis and white supremacy groups support Trump? Why do they shout "Heil Trump!"at their rallies?
Has BLM become violent? Yes, thus they are domestic terrorists. Facts aren't racism. Very few Republicans say they want them shot but just like always your side picks a few who make ridiculous statements and paint the rest of us with a broad brush.

It wouldn't matter the race of any football players that won't stand for the national anthem if they don't like it here they can move to another country of their choice. The fact that they were black Americans makes no difference.

Many countries are sh*t holes are you saying that they aren't? We shouldn't be taking in any immigrants who can't support themselves and will be a burden to our nation rather than a benefit. That's common sense but of course people like you have to make into a race issue as always.

There are racists who belong to both parties and that have supported their presidents. It doesn't mean that either party embraces "them" nor adheres to their racist policies either. I can't speak for a minority of people who use Hitler type phrases but then again what would you and yours have if you couldn't paint every Republican with a broad brush. Grow up!

Old 03-14-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Why is it that people believe success is based solely on the individual ? I mean, you would never say that about say surgery because you understand the skill of the doctor is at play rather than your "will to live"

If you want to start a business, are you not also at the whim of the Loan officer at the bank ? The Store front property owner ? The probate judge who approves the business license ? The retailer you buy your equipment from ? The inspector who approves the property to open once everything is in place ?

De jure racism vs de facto racism LOL

De Jure racism - The law allowing it, is dying, and most officers do not participate in it.

De facto racism - racism based on patterns from when De Jure was happening, is alive and well.

We have 4 decades of drug use studies that show black and white people use drugs at the same rate, which actually means there are 5 times the number of white drug users than black drug users based on the pure numbers of white people in this nation vs black (200 million vs 39 million). Yet, our jails and prisons are not filled with white people when it comes to drugs.

But it is a black issue because its the polling places and the DMV's in black areas that get shut down. Rural white areas tend to not have the same problems.

Texas 23rd congressional is an example of why you are wrong.

Its a hispanic district on paper, but republicans win it because they know about 30% of the districts population cant vote. So they purposefully gerrymander out Democratic areas that can vote, and put in Conservative areas that can

The most competitive race in the state and it was 21st out of 36 races in total votes cast. Having 110,000 less votes than the highest vote getting district.

This gerrymander problem also hurts black representation.

Alabama 7th and 2nd for example.

Both districts are under populated for different , but similar reasons.

the 7th, the majority black district which has most of the city of Birmingham in it is large and broad to purposefully compact the black vote into one district, even grabbing the western Montgomery suburbs.

The second, has part of Montgomery,but its suburbs split between 3 different districts

You wind up with 1 Democratic district, when you should have atleast 2 in this state.
You're claims of de facto racism (whatever the hell that means) is laughable to say the least! This isn't the 50's anymore. Grow up!

Old 03-14-2020, 08:54 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Taking a break from melting down at Spanish spoken in public, and trying your luck at whitesplaining to African Americans? Should be interesting.
LMAO... I’m cracking the hell up.

They always know what’s best for everyone else, but don’t have their own political house in order.

“My black friend!”

Old 03-14-2020, 08:56 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yet, here you are pandering for us to be Democrats.

Scared?

Why don't you let us figure it our for ourselves?
“Let us?” What? You weren’t doing that already? I was. No one ever told me how to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies