Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2020, 07:07 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm trying to figure out just what are black issues that are different from any other American's issues. Just what do you want done for your race specifically and why should we focus on any one race? Demand things be done for you? Huh? My black friend has a job and a regular family life like anyone else. He doesn't sit around feeling sorry for himself or his race. Opportunities are out there for everyone if they just make the effort to find them.
You have a black friend lol (sorry but it is always funny to me when people speak of their black friend as if said single, solitary black person, is representative of all of black America lol).

FWIW I have a job too and I don't feel sorry for myself. I also am very grateful for opportunities that I have in this country. However, I, probably like your friend as well if he is not a self hating negro, knows that my opportunities are available because of the advocacy of African Americans and that they are recently gained opportunities. I am 40 and feel I am in the first generation of black Americans born "free" in this country.

Some issues of importantance to black people since you pretend you don't know:

- Allow more set aside opportunities for black owned businesses to receive government contracting opportunities (I work in sourcing and know that spend for government with black businesses across the country is only .25% and that contrary to what white male business owners believe, that being a minority business is not a guarantee of being chosen as a contracting vendor and in 9.75 out of 10 cases it is a negative because of biases that people hold about black Americans in particular and other minority groups and women)

- Teach a mandatory course on black American history in K-12 education on the high school level. IMO it should be in the 10th grade and all American children should have it since black Americans have been here as long as whites and there is no way to include a meshing white/black American history without centering one over another. General American history centers on white people/experiences and how they interacted with non-white Americans. One academic year of a course that centers black peoples experiences will provide an adequate overview of actual American history as it provides the stories of Americans not well known, such as the black politics of the Revolutionary Era, the activism of the free black community post Revolution and how the anti-slavery movement began (it began with black people, not white liberals/abolitionist), the agency of the enslaved population and how they fought back and/or accepted slavery, the experiences of black soldiers/sailors in the Civil War, Reconstruction era, the inter-relatedness of the Plessy v Ferguson case with white supremacy ideology (and how Booker T Washington's speech in Atlanta in 1893 was one of the factors in the establishment of Jim Crow). The Civil Rights Movement from the 1890s through 1960s. The modern advocacy of black America from 1970s through present.

- Healthcare initiatives that focus on improving the conditions of black mothers who have very high rates of death from childbirth, no matter our income levels.

- Implementation of a national database, such as what is available for physicians, that will deny the ability of racist/biased police officers who have a history of abuse/harrassment, to obtain another job in a similar capacity in another city/town/county/state LE agency (note all black people are apt to be harrassed/abused by LE no matter our income or what we wear or how we act - being black means that LEOs make ridiculous assumptions about us as individuals and those individual LEOs who do this should not be able to continue to harrass/abuse black people or the general public)

- Re-establishment of the provisions of the VRA that require congressional review/approval before states are allowed to change laws regarding voter registration

- Policy to prevent states from gerrymandering districts in states

These are just a few black issues that I can think of off the top of my head. Others that deal especially with education are lengthy. Also environmental concerns are lengthy for black people and IMO for environmental issues we need a strong EPA and Trump has weakened EPA over his term. That and SCOTUS judges are my biggest issues with him.

Old 03-11-2020, 10:01 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
You have a black friend lol (sorry but it is always funny to me when people speak of their black friend as if said single, solitary black person, is representative of all of black America lol).

FWIW I have a job too and I don't feel sorry for myself. I also am very grateful for opportunities that I have in this country. However, I, probably like your friend as well if he is not a self hating negro, knows that my opportunities are available because of the advocacy of African Americans and that they are recently gained opportunities. I am 40 and feel I am in the first generation of black Americans born "free" in this country.

Some issues of importantance to black people since you pretend you don't know:

- Allow more set aside opportunities for black owned businesses to receive government contracting opportunities (I work in sourcing and know that spend for government with black businesses across the country is only .25% and that contrary to what white male business owners believe, that being a minority business is not a guarantee of being chosen as a contracting vendor and in 9.75 out of 10 cases it is a negative because of biases that people hold about black Americans in particular and other minority groups and women)

- Teach a mandatory course on black American history in K-12 education on the high school level. IMO it should be in the 10th grade and all American children should have it since black Americans have been here as long as whites and there is no way to include a meshing white/black American history without centering one over another. General American history centers on white people/experiences and how they interacted with non-white Americans. One academic year of a course that centers black peoples experiences will provide an adequate overview of actual American history as it provides the stories of Americans not well known, such as the black politics of the Revolutionary Era, the activism of the free black community post Revolution and how the anti-slavery movement began (it began with black people, not white liberals/abolitionist), the agency of the enslaved population and how they fought back and/or accepted slavery, the experiences of black soldiers/sailors in the Civil War, Reconstruction era, the inter-relatedness of the Plessy v Ferguson case with white supremacy ideology (and how Booker T Washington's speech in Atlanta in 1893 was one of the factors in the establishment of Jim Crow). The Civil Rights Movement from the 1890s through 1960s. The modern advocacy of black America from 1970s through present.

- Healthcare initiatives that focus on improving the conditions of black mothers who have very high rates of death from childbirth, no matter our income levels.

- Implementation of a national database, such as what is available for physicians, that will deny the ability of racist/biased police officers who have a history of abuse/harrassment, to obtain another job in a similar capacity in another city/town/county/state LE agency (note all black people are apt to be harrassed/abused by LE no matter our income or what we wear or how we act - being black means that LEOs make ridiculous assumptions about us as individuals and those individual LEOs who do this should not be able to continue to harrass/abuse black people or the general public)

- Re-establishment of the provisions of the VRA that require congressional review/approval before states are allowed to change laws regarding voter registration

- Policy to prevent states from gerrymandering districts in states

These are just a few black issues that I can think of off the top of my head. Others that deal especially with education are lengthy. Also environmental concerns are lengthy for black people and IMO for environmental issues we need a strong EPA and Trump has weakened EPA over his term. That and SCOTUS judges are my biggest issues with him.
Nothing funny nor untruthful that a lot of blacks are successful and my friend is one of them. Sure, many are not either but who's fault is that? I think its silly to want black history specifically taught in our schools. It's just a way of beating up whites today for a past they never played a role in. We are never going back to the 50's in that respect anyway. It serves no purpose but to perpetuate white guilt.

I haven't heard that black women are more at risk in childbirth than any other race of women. Why would that be? Got a link to your claims? Minorities are always claiming that LE are racially profiling them. When they are working in poor minority areas who is likely to be committing the most crimes? I know there are some bad cops but most are not. Not sure I agree about keeping a database on them though as many people lose their jobs for various reasons but are worth a second chance. I doubt if convicted of racial profiling that they are even considered for the same type of job though.

I think we should have voter ID laws and that's all I have to say about that. I don't see this as a black issue.

How about the districts that get more representation because they have millions of illegal aliens in them? I don't see how this is a black issue except illegal aliens create environment issues for all of us. Guess that party is protecting them from deportation? You don't think that blacks and other Americans are losing their jobs to them?

Why do you take issue with Trump appointing conservative judges? How is that a black issue?

Old 03-12-2020, 08:47 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,222,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
No. If anything black people should create our own political party and focus local and state issues.

Take our votes off the table for national elections and demand things be done for us make them actually earn out votes. Right now people are trying to scare us into voting because "big scary Trump will....apocalypse" while the Dems refuse to address any black issues regarding wealth.
Do you have some specific state and local issues that you'd like to focus on as it pertains to your home state?

I'm in Louisiana and I would like to see more focus on improving schools in black communities because often they are pushed to the side. I'd like to see the land loss problem focused on and remedied (but of course this is an issue affecting all in the state and not specifically black people). Which kind of brings me to pollution in black communities often being close to toxic waste.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yet, here you are pandering for us to be Democrats.

Scared?

Why don't you let us figure it our for ourselves?
To be fair, NeutralParty was right regarding the current face of the Republican Party. That said, we should figure it out for ourselves. I'd even argue that some of the black people in our every day lives really should be registered as Republicans and they don't even realize it.

Last edited by pandorafan5687; 03-12-2020 at 09:10 PM..

Old 03-12-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Here you go again, the same question every time (your time in the spot light... ^^ loves these kind of threads.

To answer your question AGAIN... people do wonder why you vote faithfully Democrat when nothing really changes, So I throw the question back at ya AGAIN, Why? Can you answer my question as to "Why" this time? Please be specific so we can have a better understanding please.
Perhaps I can answer this question. Black people, contrary to what their voting habits indicate, are actually quite diverse when it comes to their own political thoughts. The reason that we overwhelmingly vote Democrat is because we rarely see Republicans who aren't incredibly condescending or overwhelmingly racist. I would argue that half of the blacks in this thread really should be registered as Republicans, but right now the largest voices don't do a good job of making that particular party very inviting to those who are not of Germanic origin.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:16 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Been saying it for ages now. Black people should never ever just pull the lever for any party without thinking about it. The absolute worst idea is having over 90% of them vote for the same party every single time. When every black person votes D that reliably, the D's don't have to actually give a crap about them and the R's give up trying.

Ask hard questions like, "Are we actually better off? Do the people in power deserve to remain in power, or should I try the other guys?" It would be even better if we had lots and lots of viable options to vote for, but we'll see what the future brings. Maybe we'll one day see a political party that doesn't absolutely suck!

Old 03-13-2020, 06:59 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Perhaps I can answer this question. Black people, contrary to what their voting habits indicate, are actually quite diverse when it comes to their own political thoughts. The reason that we overwhelmingly vote Democrat is because we rarely see Republicans who aren't incredibly condescending or overwhelmingly racist. I would argue that half of the blacks in this thread really should be registered as Republicans, but right now the largest voices don't do a good job of making that particular party very inviting to those who are not of Germanic origin.
Please describe this so-called condescendjng and overwhelmingly racist attitude by the Republicans. I'll wait.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Nothing funny nor untruthful that a lot of blacks are successful and my friend is one of them. Sure, many are not either but who's fault is that? I think its silly to want black history specifically taught in our schools. It's just a way of beating up whites today for a past they never played a role in. We are never going back to the 50's in that respect anyway. It serves no purpose but to perpetuate white guilt.

I haven't heard that black women are more at risk in childbirth than any other race of women. Why would that be? Got a link to your claims? Minorities are always claiming that LE are racially profiling them. When they are working in poor minority areas who is likely to be committing the most crimes? I know there are some bad cops but most are not. Not sure I agree about keeping a database on them though as many people lose their jobs for various reasons but are worth a second chance. I doubt if convicted of racial profiling that they are even considered for the same type of job though.

I think we should have voter ID laws and that's all I have to say about that. I don't see this as a black issue.

How about the districts that get more representation because they have millions of illegal aliens in them? I don't see how this is a black issue except illegal aliens create environment issues for all of us. Guess that party is protecting them from deportation? You don't think that blacks and other Americans are losing their jobs to them?

Why do you take issue with Trump appointing conservative judges? How is that a black issue?
The "funny" comment was how you have a black friend and think you know anything about what all black people want or should want or what our issues are.

On the colored comments

1 - no one cares if "you" think it is silly. Learning about black history is enlightening to white children as it destroys the biases that they may be reared with as our actual history is based primarily on acquiring the liberty to live our lives as we see fit. FYI - you are doing exactly what regular history courses do, of which I noted in this portion of your comment back to me - centering white people over black people. Making a claim that something shouldn't be taught because it might hurt white people's feelings and white people, in your eyes, their feelings are more important than black people's feelings. The bold is what I get from your comment. FYI - I don't really care about your feelings lol.

2 - There have been threads on this very forum about the disparities in maternal outcomes of black women versus others in the USA. You not knowing anything about it brings to mind the fact that you don't care anything about black people or care to know our issues.

3 - I said nothing about "voter ID." That issue that I cited is about much more than IDs. You are not black so cannot "think" one way or another about what a "black issue" is unless a black person tells you. I'm black. It is a black issue. Other black posters on this forum have mentioned this very issue before.

4 - I said nothing about illegal aliens. Gerrymandering is a black issue because it breaks up our neighborhoods relegating our voice in our communities silent.

5 - On judges, the court system is the main way that black people have been able to gain ground in this country over the past 130 years (since the 1890s). Having judges who think like you and who do not value black people is dangerous to black people. It is my main reason, as noted for not liking Trump. I also am a black woman and I value having my rights as a woman over my reproductive system and do not want to see Roe v Wade overturned and would like to see the state laws concerning abortion overturned as well. IMO abortion should be left to women and their families and medical providers to make informed decisions, same as other healthcare issues.

On environmental issues - you not knowing about #2 is pretty shocking to me and as such I don't have enough time/patience to even deal with you on environmental issues. I will note that lead poisoning impacts black Americans at a MUCH higher rate than whites in this country and it is an environmental hazard that needs to be addressed and remedied.

Old 03-13-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Please describe this so-called condescendjng and overwhelmingly racist attitude by the Republicans. I'll wait.
LOL - you are actually an example of the person that poster is describing.

You trying to tell black people what black issues are is condescending.

You thinking that white people's feelings should trump the feelings of black people (should be superior to their views/feelings on teaching actual American history lol) is an overwhelmingly racist perspective.

ETA: I'll note, that I am one of the people that pandora is probably speaking of since I am actually pretty moderate and have voted for Republican governors and congressmen/women. I also was a registered Republican until I early voted in the Democratic primary (Ohio goes by your participation in the primary).

However, as I'm sure I've noted before in this thread, my politics are specifically about black people and our needs as a demogrpahic. Oftentimes our needs and politics are such that will benefit the entire country. As such I am not a party-liner and I don't think either major party is racist-less. They both have racism within their party members. The difference between the GOP and the Dems is that Dems actually have black members and they speak to/work on issues of importance to black people such as myself. The GOP does in lower level races in certain states, but nationally, and especially not during presidential election season, they rarely, if ever focus on issues of importance to black people. I'll note as a black person who is similar to your black "friend" in that I have a job and good income and don't complain about life - that I personally DGAF about prison reform. Focusing on prisoners is not focusing on black people since 99% of black people in this country are not imprison lol. The idea that the only issues that we care about are related to jail/prison or to poverty programs is pretty hilarious to me and condescending and indicative of your party being similar to yourself in that you do not value black views/thought and you do not want to listen to us and see what you can do to policy-wise in regards to certain issues that we face and want addressed. Democrats actually will take on those initiatives. I wanted to vote for Elizabeth Warren in the primary, but she dropped out so I voted for Biden. Warren addressed in her platform basically everything I wrote earlier to you. Which is why it is extra funny to me that you don't know anything about black issues. Look at what issues that Dems are speaking about and you will see what issues we have. You can provide alternatives to those issues that we can consider. I'll note many of the black issues that even Warren noted were ones that are from the more left wing progressive blacks. She had some for those of us in the middle/moderate camp and some for the more conservative black people as well. We do have a lot of diversity in black American in regards to our issues. But we all pretty much agree that being black is political in and of itself and as such we need to focus on supporting candidates that don't act like we don't exist politically so shouldn't be listened to.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 03-13-2020 at 11:55 AM..

Old 03-13-2020, 01:52 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Taking a break from melting down at Spanish spoken in public, and trying your luck at whitesplaining to African Americans? Should be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies