Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2020, 08:40 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Quick Enough

I AM a repub and know LOTS of other repubs and NEITHER of these EVER come up when we talk politics.

How may have you Actually taked with about these 2 issues?

Your bias and imagination have taken control of your sense's.
I actually know a lot of elected officials both Dem and Republican. The uber conservatives are taking over your party and you know for a fact that abortion is a huge issue in the Republican party. You are delusional if you don't acknowledge this.

The VRA is not important to lay Republicans, but in southern states, it is important to Republicans to remove those restrictions which they feel is "unfair."

I noted, I lived in GA for nearly 20 years. I worked in a field and volunteered in community organizations that brought me into heavy contact with the political sphere (it is one of the main reasons why I don't like either party very much lol). VRA portions being removed from the books are a huge issue for black people in the south and it is/was ignored by mainstream media, which is why you don't know about it. You all stay in a Fox News bubble or your conservatives sites and as I note often on here, as a result, you don't know much about what is going on in black America and you also don't know what certain Republican officials are doing or advocating for outside of talking about Trump or evil "liberals" or getting SCOTUS judges to get rid of Roe v. Wade.

So save me on so-called bias and imagination. You probably don't even know what I and Ralph are talking about.

Old 02-28-2020, 10:18 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,082,970 times
It's sad watching republican politicians trying to pander to black voters, claiming that they should be the party for African Americans.

To put this argument to bed, look no further than the demographics in Congress, a direct reflection of both political parties and who those voters choose to represent them.

2018 election:

Republicans elected 31 new members to congress. ZERO minorities. None. 0%.

Democrats elected 40 new members to congress. 16 minorities in total, 8 of them black. 20% black, 40% minority.

Democrats also broke the record for most women EVER elected to Congress in 2018. Over half of newly elected democrats were women (22 of 40). Republicans only elected 1 woman. (1 of 31).

The above is factual information, it can't be spun in any way.

Here is a picture of the 116th Congress electees for reference: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ns-photo#img-3

So the next time a republican race-splains to African-Americans why they should side with the GOP, simply use your eyes. Observe what both sides look like. The democratic party is full diversity. Many people of color, women, and diverse religious beliefs and sexual preferences. You know, a direct reflection of what the United States looks like.

The republican congressional demographic is over 85% white men.

Conservatives and Trump supporters wonder why blacks vote overwhelmingly democrat, it's because republicans have very few congress people that look like them.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:29 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,223,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Bingo, nor should racial groups depend, support, or rely on political parties for progression or prosperity.
That's something we can both agree on. And I've said that D and R are really one and the same. As someone else said, left wing or right wing, they are both a part of the same bird.

Quote:
The funniest thing about being black in America, is that many black Americans expect the government to save us with handouts and special treatment. Mind you this is the same government that’s responsible for so much black turmoil to begin with. But no, we think rich white progressive elected leaders are losing sleep at night with how to save the black community, aside from simply pandering to us for votes so they can further solidify their own legacy and 6 figure paychecks.
As someone who worked in the world of food stamps, I can tell you that there are plenty of "Beckys", "Allisons", and "Sally Maes" getting them. The elderly and the disabled were treated like trash on that program. It made me sick! The bold, I agree on. Which is where my issue with the ADOS/FBA movements. I support those hashtags as distinctions of lineage but that's it. The idea that the same federal government that allowed Slavery, Jim Crow, etc was going to suddenly do a 180 is absurd.

Quote:
Case in point Obama, he’s back into obscurity after cashing in on his presidency while south side Chicago is still a war zone. You think Obama loses sleep at night in his mansion? Hell no.
You hear more from Michelle than you do Barack. What can be done about Chicago? Should black people with ethics just let the "Pookies" and "Ray Rays" fight each other and roll out? Tearing down the low income housing certainly didn't seem to help Chicago's crime problem.

Old 02-28-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
If you sit down and examine your opinions issue by issue, I think great many black people would realize that they are actually conservative.
Tezlyn Figaro actually said that in a Breakfast Club interview (in my OP) about rappers. Many of them are Republican and don't even realize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
Think and stop voting for democrats for no reason.
That was kind of the point of this discussion. We really should be scattered. But even at that, I think we need to focus more on issue-based voting rather than party-based voting.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is how I see that person's post. A strong resentment towards Blacks. Said person would as soon see Blacks expelled from the USA.
Said person, would just reroute his or her resentment towards someone else instead.

Old 03-07-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
With Mossville, many residents got bought out. Many people have moved away with the expansion of the Sasol plant. Basically, people being displaced from the refineries in their backyard. It goes to back to those who are the most vulnerable are often those being treated as the most disposable. What do you think would have happened if those same things with tried with Sulphur and Westlake?

Baton Rouge is part of Cancer Alley. Putting refineries in near downtown affects alot of people.
Baton Rouge is similar to Lake Charles in the since that many of it's plants are in the neighboring town of Port Allen, just west of downtown (just like Westlake is west of downtown LC). That's where you'll find most of the plants in the East Baton Rouge parish, though Exxon-Mobil is slightly north of downtown, you can see it if you are driving down I-110.

I checked out your article on St. Louis and it seems to be common for these risks to be high on the North sides of these cities and their suburbs. It seems to be where the urban areas are and generally speaking, that's where black people live. We need advocacy for environmental safety at the state and local level and not just the federal. I don't see any federal advocacy with the current administration and that is really concerning.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:51 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
Baton Rouge is similar to Lake Charles in the since that many of it's plants are in the neighboring town of Port Allen, just west of downtown (just like Westlake is west of downtown LC). That's where you'll find most of the plants in the East Baton Rouge parish, though Exxon-Mobil is slightly north of downtown, you can see it if you are driving down I-110.

I checked out your article on St. Louis and it seems to be common for these risks to be high on the North sides of these cities and their suburbs. It seems to be where the urban areas are and generally speaking, that's where black people live. We need advocacy for environmental safety at the state and local level and not just the federal. I don't see any federal advocacy with the current administration and that is really concerning.
It is about the plants being very close, but not directly in the city. Something not being "IN" a particular city, but that city gets affected just the same.

What is going on in St. Louis is basically going on in other cities. Black neighborhoods are more likely to be in the most polluted areas of cities than neighborhoods populated by other groups. Environmental issues do affect Black people alot more than many people realize. I don't think there will be much advocacy, either on the federal level or even the local level. A kind of indifferent negligence when you think about it.

Old 03-10-2020, 03:06 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,146 times
No. If anything black people should create our own political party and focus local and state issues.

Take our votes off the table for national elections and demand things be done for us make them actually earn out votes. Right now people are trying to scare us into voting because "big scary Trump will....apocalypse" while the Dems refuse to address any black issues regarding wealth.

Old 03-10-2020, 04:17 PM

62,889 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
No. If anything black people should create our own political party and focus local and state issues.

Take our votes off the table for national elections and demand things be done for us make them actually earn out votes. Right now people are trying to scare us into voting because "big scary Trump will....apocalypse" while the Dems refuse to address any black issues regarding wealth.
I'm trying to figure out just what are black issues that are different from any other American's issues. Just what do you want done for your race specifically and why should we focus on any one race? Demand things be done for you? Huh? My black friend has a job and a regular family life like anyone else. He doesn't sit around feeling sorry for himself or his race. Opportunities are out there for everyone if they just make the effort to find them.

Old 03-10-2020, 06:51 PM

45,553 posts, read 27,160,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
It's sad watching republican politicians trying to pander to black voters, claiming that they should be the party for African Americans.
Yet, here you are pandering for us to be Democrats.

Scared?

Why don't you let us figure it our for ourselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies