Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 02:11 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes. Fair or not, that comes along with being POTUS. Unfortunately for leftists who have been praying for recession as a means of defeating our president (rather sick and disgusting actually), the economy is strong and experts expect it to remain so through election day.
I would say parts of the economy are strong, specifically the stock market. But a person who is part of the 50% of the population who doesn't own stocks, it doesn't look so rosy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 02:11 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
And as I said, what happens after Election Day? If it all comes crashing down 3-6 months after election, will Trump own it?
Sure, whether he personally "owns it" or not, that's how the public will view things. But, if Trump is reelected, it won't impact how he governs, though it could impact the next presidential election depending on how long the downturn lasts.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:12 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The 2008 banking fisaco was a direct result of a lack of regulatory oversight and action by both the Congress and the federal agencies tasked with oversight.

I see a part of the blame was the repealing of the Glass-Steagall Act which allowed commercial banks and risk taking investment banks to merge. We saw this with the creation of CitiGroup. This was a bad move by our legislators who were too full of hubris and faith in modern technology, to remember why Glass-Steagall was put in place in the first place.

The Congress and Bill Clinton foolishly repealed the Glass-Stegall Act, which paved the way for investment banks to merge with commercial banks, such as CitiGroup.

In 1999 they repealed the Depository Institutions Deregulation and Monetary Control Act of 1980.

They also repealed a provision that prohibited a Bank Holding Company from owning other financial companies, when Clinton signed the Gramm–Leach–Bliley Act.

All the blame for the 2007-2008 economic mess goes right on the shoulders of Bill Clinton and the legislators who passed these repeals in the late 1990s.

GW Bush did try to reign in F&F Mae, but the dems savaged him over it, and Bush did not push back enough.
I agree with much of this but don't leave out Alan Greenspan and Wall Street. They chipped away at Glass for years until there were so many loopholes created that the original act was toothless. Deregulation, as usual, led to long term consequences while enriching Wall Street. We seem to be forgetting that today, just a few years since they blew up the economy. The drumbeat of deregulation is strong on financial and environment issues with the Trump gang.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:13 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And if a Dem wins the President and that happens, will Dems own it?
I don't count the year the new President takes office (unless they enact some radical legislation that obviously impacts the economy). When Obama was elected 2009 certainly wasn't his fault, it was the result of the prior administrations policies. I'll give Trump the same credit if the economy does well for a year after he leaves office (or if it tanks).

Old 02-10-2020, 02:15 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I would say parts of the economy are strong, specifically the stock market. But a person who is part of the 50% of the population who doesn't own stocks, it doesn't look so rosy.
Low unemployment rate, including record low unemployment rates for blacks and Latinos; increasing wages; increasing labor participation rate; etc. I can accept that the economy isn't as much on fire as Trump says, but it is no where as dire as leftists try to paint either. It is strong and structurally sound. Even for the 50% "who doesn't own stocks" as you put it. And no economy will ever work for everyone. Polls came out recently where 90% of the country is happy about where they are/where they are going (or something to that effect).

Old 02-10-2020, 02:16 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Does Trump get the blame if the economy falters?
Yes, he should. However, you have to understand the way many of his diehard supporters think. Said persons will support Trump no matter what. Such diehard support is more or less anger towards the left.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:18 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,799,670 times
Quote:
So will they admit a crash would be Trump’s fault?
Depends what the cause is...?

Old 02-10-2020, 02:18 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,677 times
Quote:
Does Trump get the blame if the economy falters?
Yes, especially if it's a result of the coronavirus, since he obviously caused that.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:21 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Low unemployment rate, including record low unemployment rates for blacks and Latinos; increasing wages; increasing labor participation rate; etc. I can accept that the economy isn't as much on fire as Trump says, but it is no where as dire as leftists try to paint either. It is strong and structurally sound. Even for the 50% "who doesn't own stocks" as you put it. And no economy will ever work for everyone. Polls came out recently where 90% of the country is happy about where they are/where they are going (or something to that effect).

I don't think anyone would say it is dire, its just funny how largely the same numbers as when Obama was President = an economy on fire now. Why wasn't it then? Again- last years growth was 2.3 % and we had the weakest job numbers since 2011. It doesn't add up. More propaganda.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:25 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Is the economy great? Seems like its par for the past 10 years. I think Obama was doing a good job, so I guess I can give Trump credit for not ruining it, although he has ballooned the debt by giving tax cuts to rich people that don't need it.
That tripe never gets old does it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies