Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 06:31 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry - but this is just so juicy. I knew something like this would come down the road - but just not so quickly.

They continue to bring this upon themselves - and instead up owning up to their part of the problem by voting in these communists - they relocate and continue to do the same thing.

The government is only as good as the people. Compromised people make for a compromised government.

An Open Letter to CA Government Democrats - WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

It’s been 6 weeks since AB5 was signed and put into effect. We’ve now had 6 weeks to see some actual results. So, as a CPA with clients in the Independent Contractor world, and as a lifelong Democrat whose Assemblyperson and Governor actually voted for this sh**show that is AB5, I need to ask: What were you thinking?

After reading the actual law, listening to interviews, and taking numerous courses on AB5, I simply don’t know what the thought process was behind AB5. What was the goal? Because, if it was to “protect California workers”, you’ve done an abysmal job of that.

The laws were there. You just needed to enforce them. Instead, you took a single legal case, Dynamex (where one single company decided to break the rules and throw all their employees to IC status), and you brought the hammer down. On everyone. You have decided to ruin the livelihoods of 1-2 million true California independent contractors because someone somewhere screwed up on, what, 1,000 classifications? That’s some serious overreaction and, might I add, a rather large amount of California citizens to consider acceptable collateral damage.

After making the assumption that employers would simply hire the independent contractors as employees...

Instead of switching ICs to employees, many hiring companies have simply cancelled contracts. Period. Done. Work gone. Needless to say, that sound you heard was 1 million independent contractors finding out they no longer have a source of income.

And who’s getting these jobs? OUT-OF-STATE employees, because, lo and behold, your little AB5 states that California companies who hire out-of-state ICs aren’t affected by AB5.

So, you’ve successfully 1) forced ICs to move out of state for work, and 2) allowed CA companies to hire out-of-state workers. Brilliant! You just took an entire demographic of mostly Democratic voters and MOVED them out of California!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 06:53 PM

2,495 posts, read 866,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
After making the assumption that employers would simply hire the independent contractors as employees...
They make the most clueless assumptions. And now they've put a whole class of their own leftists out of work. Another D'Oh moment for progressives.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:53 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
While I’m not personally affected, I know people that have lost jobs and contracts because of this law.

I called my assemblywoman, Shirley Weber (liberal Democrat) to voice my opposition to this poorly drafted law. I was told there will be clean up legislation, but we’ll see.

The staffer I spoke with said she had a side business that was affected and that she’s expecting to lose business. Whether that’s true is anyone’s guess.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
They make the most clueless assumptions. And now they've put a whole class of their own leftists out of work. Another D'Oh moment for progressives.
You are on it...

I think that in their decision making process, they make sure to get what they want, and then convince themselves of some cockamamie assumption to justify it to themselves and others.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:25 PM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Thx for posting this. I use a lot of IC's, and have been for 20 years...not in Cali though.

The government is filled with idiots who couldn't get a real job in the private sector. Occasionally, an outsider comes along from the private sector, steps into the public sector, and kicks but. Like Trump is doing right now.

This is why the swamp hate him so much...he's making them look like the incompetent fools that they are...law degrees from Ivy league schools, and all.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:33 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
I was a little scared that we real estate appraisers would get caught up in this, but I haven't heard anything yet.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:36 PM

20,858 posts, read 9,518,220 times
Quote:
After Six Weeks
I have no opinion on this legislation, having just heard about it when I clicked on this thread, but to judge a piece of legislation after it's been in effect for just 6 weeks is being rather hasty.

Old 02-18-2020, 07:42 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,274,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I have no opinion on this legislation, having just heard about it when I clicked on this thread, but to judge a piece of legislation after it's been in effect for just 6 weeks is being rather hasty.
It seems like it, but people are losing jobs and contracts because they don’t want to mess with the issue of making them employees.

However, they are starting to implement exceptions.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:02 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I'm sorry - but this is just so juicy. I knew something like this would come down the road - but just not so quickly.

They continue to bring this upon themselves - and instead up owning up to their part of the problem by voting in these communists - they relocate and continue to do the same thing.

The government is only as good as the people. Compromised people make for a compromised government.

An Open Letter to CA Government Democrats - WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

It’s been 6 weeks since AB5 was signed and put into effect. We’ve now had 6 weeks to see some actual results. So, as a CPA with clients in the Independent Contractor world, and as a lifelong Democrat whose Assemblyperson and Governor actually voted for this sh**show that is AB5, I need to ask: What were you thinking?

After reading the actual law, listening to interviews, and taking numerous courses on AB5, I simply don’t know what the thought process was behind AB5. What was the goal? Because, if it was to “protect California workers”, you’ve done an abysmal job of that.

The laws were there. You just needed to enforce them. Instead, you took a single legal case, Dynamex (where one single company decided to break the rules and throw all their employees to IC status), and you brought the hammer down. On everyone. You have decided to ruin the livelihoods of 1-2 million true California independent contractors because someone somewhere screwed up on, what, 1,000 classifications? That’s some serious overreaction and, might I add, a rather large amount of California citizens to consider acceptable collateral damage.

Instead of switching ICs to employees, many hiring companies have simply cancelled contracts. Period. Done. Work gone. Needless to say, that sound you heard was 1 million independent contractors finding out they no longer have a source of income.

And who’s getting these jobs? OUT-OF-STATE employees, because, lo and behold, your little AB5 states that California companies who hire out-of-state ICs aren’t affected by AB5.

So, you’ve successfully 1) forced ICs to move out of state for work, and 2) allowed CA companies to hire out-of-state workers. Brilliant! You just took an entire demographic of mostly Democratic voters and MOVED them out of California!
It would have been nice if you'd told us what AB5 is.

Old 02-18-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Read the letter at the link... first hand info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It would have been nice if you'd told us what AB5 is.
Fair enough... old thread that gives some background is here.

Freelance Reporters at Vox Media Celebrate California Gig Workers Regulations... Before Being Laid Off

From the article there...

California Assembly Bill 5 will go into effect in 2020 and is intended to force "gig economy" giants like Uber and Lyft to pay their drivers as if they're employees and provide more benefits.

The LA Times Version.

Sweeping bill on independent contractors passes California state Senate

Last edited by DRob4JC; 02-18-2020 at 08:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies