Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2020, 12:21 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times

Advertisements

607 Billionaires in the USA. Of those.....5 are black.

I cannot believe it matters.

607 individuals out of population of around 300 million is a paltry number.

Most people are NOT billionaires.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:28 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,704,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On this, I personally don't feel that it is anything that is surprising considering how recent intense oppressive systematic racism ended.

As an African American, I do feel that we black Americans need to focus on wealth building. I also do feel that too many of us focus more on social justice issues today and the younger amongst us (and many older ones) have an inferior view of ourselves when it comes to building wealth. IMO that is the main reason why we don't have it. We invest in the idea that we cannot do anything by ourselves to acquire wealth in this country today even though we don't have anyone coming to lynch us for acquiring assets.

Too many of us IMO don't want to have a real conversation on this. I don't want to or like to compare ourselves to white people as white people IMO we should not even be focused on. We need to focus on ourselves and building ourselves up from where we are with concrete goals and help each other with said goals. Some of those goals should/could involve political policies/initiatives and candidates. But I feel that continuing to point out and say "look at how much wealth whites have versus black people" is silly and doesn't accomplish anything.
I totally agree.

I will also note that HOME VALUE is a large or largest component of most individual wealth. Home values, in the free market, are largely set via the forces of supply and demand. The greatest demographic influences on forces of supply and demand, in America, is the white demographic. Thus, how much whites desire an area has a great impact on a homes value. The richest demographic in any area will control a homes value or worth by their desire to live or not live in that area. There are some areas, like the Bay Area, where its Asians who might drive up home values. In most areas, however, its white desires.

White areas are attractive to all groups.....thus they will generally have the greatest home values. Blacks areas are least attractive to all groups except blacks.....which is why they will have the lowest home values. Much of wealth comes from home values.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
607 Billionaires in the USA. Of those.....5 are black.

I cannot believe it matters.

607 individuals out of population of around 300 million is a paltry number.

Most people are NOT billionaires.
but its a microcosm of a general disparity of wealth.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:38 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Many white people do not want to come to grips with how bad 3 centuries of racial oppression really has impacted black people. You don't. You can't live with that reality and the moral injury it might cause you or the epiphany that blacks are not behaving this way because its their nature.

And yet just about every other culture that was enslaved at some point has made their way!

You're stepping over answers to pick up excuses!

Old 02-24-2020, 12:41 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
And yet just about every other culture that was enslaved at some point has made their way!

It’s the same in every thread started by this poster.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:

They made there way how? They migrated to new lands away from their oppressors and usually solved their issues born from oppression....by finding other groups to oppress to their benefit, this time.....or.....they could not longer be identified as a member of the oppressed group.

How would I go about oppressing blacks who are from Georgia? How could I tell them from blacks who are from Michigan? White on white oppression is only as good as you are able to distinguish each other. It's no different from black on black oppression.

Racial oppression, especially between blacks and whites, is the most efficient and effective form of oppression....as its all visual and there is little, if any confusion.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:45 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:

You’re wrong (but there are some obvious answers almost all directly tied to discrimination)

Black people spent exactly 340 years enslaved in North America (first slaves were brought to Spanish Florida in 1525, 1619 is when English brought they’re slaves to the the 13 colonies) during a time of great modernization worldwide and then spent then next 100 years as second class Jim Crow citizens.

We’ve been fully legally free for 45 years (1965-2020) compared to 440 years (1525-1965) otherwise enslaved/2nd class.

Just going by law of exponential growth that’s come with wealth investments, and societal advancements it’d take Black Americans well over a millennial to become financially as sound as whites.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
You’re wrong (but there are some obvious answers almost all directly tied to discrimination)

Black people spent exactly 340 years enslaved in North America (first slaves were brought to Spanish Florida in 1525, 1619 is when English brought they’re slaves to the the 13 colonies) during a time of great modernization worldwide and then spent then next 100 years as second class Jim Crow citizens.

We’ve been fully legally free for 45 years (1965-2020) compared to 440 years (1525-1965) otherwise enslaved/2nd class.

Just going by law of exponential growth that’s come with wealth investments, and societal advancements it’d take Black Americans well over a millennial to become financially as sound as whites.

Where did you come from? I like how you Think

Old 02-24-2020, 12:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I like how you Think
As a perpetual victim.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As a perpetual victim.
And I am okay with you seeing it that way. You are like a "flat earther".....nothing can be done about it. Just don't wander to close to the edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies