Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2021, 02:25 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You need better news sources. The ones you posted misrepresented the Kaiser Poll results. Here's the truth:

The Kaiser Poll results actually tell us that the vaccine hesitant group doesn't really lean Republican. Just 20% of the group called themselves Republican with an additional 19% being independents who leaned Republican. Total 39%. The clear majority (61%) were not Republicans or Republican-leaning.

Read it for yourself:

https://files.kff.org/attachment/Top...April-2021.pdf

This of course jibes with the fact that the two least vaccine-complaint groups, Blacks and those age 18 to 39, overwhelmingly vote Democrat.
You really need to read what you link. The very first paragraph of your kff poll says this:

The survey was conducted April 15-29, 2021, among a nationally representative random digit dial telephone sample of 2,097 adults ages 18 and older (including interviews from 778 Hispanic adults and 507 non-Hispanic Black adults), living in the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii

The poll you link above was aimed at Black and hispanic residents. Not the general population. 65% of the peopled surveyed were black and hispanic. Of course they are going not be mostly republican. Duh. In fact there were 321 republicans and 817 Democrats. Don't believe me just read your link.

Phone numbers used for this study were randomly generated from cell phone and landline sampling frames, with an overlapping frame design, and disproportionate stratification aimed at reaching Hispanic and non-Hispanic Black respondents. Stratification was based on incidence of therace/ethnicity subgroups within each frame. Specifically, the cell phone frame was stratified as: (1) High Hispanic: Cell phone numbers associated with rate centers from counties where at least 35% of the population is Hispanic; (2) High Black: Cell phone
numbers associated with remaining rate centers from counties where at least 35% of the population is non-Hispanic Black; (3) Else: numbers from all remaining rate centers. The landline frame was stratified as: (1) High Black: landline exchanges associatedwith Census block groups where at least 35% of the population is Black; (2) Else: all -remaining landline exchanges

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 08-01-2021 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-01-2021, 02:31 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Then why, oh, why, are some people saying covid vaccines don't even work? Are they so pitifully gullible that they are falling for discredited sources?

The US is special. In all other countries there are plenty of vaccinated getting sick.

Old 08-01-2021, 02:32 PM

565 posts, read 282,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I think in most of the Red States, such as Oklahoma, the governor will let it rip, unless it gets so bad that the hospital heads, schools and universities can convince the governor to restore a state health emergency to give mayors and schools the right to require masks like before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
The delta variant spreads like fire, challenges the vaccines...but will be stopped in its tracks by cloth and paper masks.
Masks work and they're cheap.

We spent a weekend in Hong Kong transiting home from Thailand last February. Thailand was starting to mask up but Hong Kong was pretty close to 100% already. We bought and wore some while we were there.

Covid cases per million pop.

Hong Kong - 1,585.

Thailand - 8,792

United States - 107,334

Source:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Old 08-01-2021, 02:36 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The very first paragraph of your kff poll says this:

The survey was conducted April 15-29, 2021, among a nationally representative random digit dial telephone sample of 2,097 adults ages 18 and older (including interviews from 778 Hispanic adults and 507 non-Hispanic Black adults), living in the United States, including Alaska and Hawaii

The poll you link above was aimed at Black and hispanic residents. Not the general population. 65% of the peopled surveyed were black and hispanic. Of course they are going not be mostly republican. Duh. In fact there were 321 republicans and 817 Democrats. Don't believe me just read your link.

Phone numbers used for this study were randomly generated from cell phone and landline sampling frames, with an overlapping frame design, and disproportionate stratification aimed at reaching Hispanic and non-Hispanic Black respondents. Stratification was based on incidence of therace/ethnicity subgroups within each frame. Specifically, the cell phone frame was stratified as: (1) High Hispanic: Cell phone numbers associated with rate centers from counties where at least 35% of the population is Hispanic; (2) High Black: Cell phone
numbers associated with remaining rate centers from counties where at least 35% of the population is non-Hispanic Black; (3) Else: numbers from all remaining rate centers. The landline frame was stratified as: (1) High Black: landline exchanges associatedwith Census block groups where at least 35% of the population is Black; (2) Else: all -remaining landline exchanges
It apparently has escaped your attention that Blacks followed by Hispanics are the two least vaccine-compliant racial/ethnic groups. That's why they represent a higher number of the poll participants.

Old 08-01-2021, 02:42 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It apparently has escaped your attention that Blacks followed by Hispanics are the two least vaccine-compliant racial/ethnic groups. That's why they represent a higher number of the poll participants.
No. They were intentionally doing a poll of black and hispanic people. They were asking why those groups did not want the vaccine. Again you did not even read what I highlighted or the data used in the poll.

Its says this at the start of the poll data:

with an overlapping frame design, and disproportionate stratification aimed at reaching Hispanic and non-Hispanic Black respondents.

You even made a big deal about this which only showed the clear majority of the people being polled where black and hispanic. You said:

The clear majority (61%) were not Republicans or Republican-leaning.

Which shows again you did take the time to understand what the purpose of the poll was. Its really very telling. Please just give up on this. Its ok. I have at times made a mistake on a point I was trying to make. It happens to everyone.

Old 08-01-2021, 02:52 PM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
CDC says we can stop this spread in a few weeks if you put on your mask.

Well I guess we know who is holding Miss Cleo's crystal ball.
Sorry...I don't believe you CDC.

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavir...ctor-says.html
“We can halt the chain of transmission,” Walensky told “CBS This Morning” on Wednesday. “We can do something if we unify together, if we get people vaccinated who are not yet vaccinated, if we mask in the interim, we can halt this in just a matter of a couple of weeks.

Old 08-01-2021, 02:54 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
Masks work and they're cheap.

We spent a weekend in Hong Kong transiting home from Thailand last February. Thailand was starting to mask up but Hong Kong was pretty close to 100% already. We bought and wore some while we were there.

Covid cases per million pop.

Hong Kong - 1,585.

Thailand - 8,792

United States - 107,334

Source:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Masks probably work for people in those countries because they are actually devoted to wearing them at all times whenever there are people around, including while at home. I suspect in America most people only wear masks when they are required to.

Old 08-01-2021, 02:59 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
No. They were intentionally doing a poll of black and hispanic people. They were asking why those groups did not want the vaccine.
Yes, exactly, because Blacks and Hispanics ARE the two least vaccine-compliant racial/ethnic groups. What about that do you not understand?

It IS inescapable fact that the least vaccine-compliant groups (Blacks and Hispanics and those age 18 to 39) overwhelmingly vote Democrat. For anyone who believes COVID vaccines are necessary, THOSE non-compliant, overwhelmingly Democrat-voting GROUPS are the problem.

Old 08-01-2021, 03:00 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Completely agree with your first two points but as a former teacher I'm not getting your last point.

Respectfully, last school year was a disaster for students, teachers, and their families. If wearing masks allowed schools to operate somewhat back to normal with in-class instruction, I'd be OK with that. At least until this current spike in cases abates. Taught for 20 years and students and teachers learned to adapt to all kinds of new things. Sure there should be exceptions for students with exceptionalities but that is usually about 5 to 10% of the population and accommodations could be made.

Really interested in why you're so strongly against masks in schools. Thx.
Children don’t get covid. I presume teachers and other adults will be vaccinated. I find it hard to hear, breathe and be heard in a mask, and I think it’s a form of abuse to force children to wear them.

School children have always been germ factories. They have always passed around diseases that are more dangerous to them than Covid.

At the least, it should be up to the parents.

Last edited by gentlearts; 08-01-2021 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-01-2021, 03:42 PM

565 posts, read 282,095 times
Quote:
Completely agree with your first two points but as a former teacher I'm not getting your last point.

Respectfully, last school year was a disaster for students, teachers, and their families. If wearing masks allowed schools to operate somewhat back to normal with in-class instruction, I'd be OK with that. At least until this current spike in cases abates. Taught for 20 years and students and teachers learned to adapt to all kinds of new things. Sure there should be exceptions for students with exceptionalities but that is usually about 5 to 10% of the population and accommodations could be made.

Really interested in why you're so strongly against masks in schools. Thx.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Children don’t get covid. I presume teachers and other adults will be vaccinated. I find it hard to hear, breathe and be heard in a mask, and I think it’s a form of abuse to force children to wear them.

School children have always been germ factories. They have always passed around diseases that are more dangerous to them than Covid.
Children DO get covid and they can spread it.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. If I had to choose between traditional in-class instruction with masks or zoom classes with mom or dad missing work to watch the kids I know which way I'd go.

Abuse? Hard to hear and breathe? To me they're a minor inconvenience. I've seen kids in airports and on planes who wore masks for hours and hours and they didn't seem unhappy. Some even seemed proud of their Spiderman/Frozen/Hulk masks.

Finally, you are correct that kids pass diseases around in school. The delta variant is highly contagious and although the effect on most students may not be severe, students are part of larger communities. They will spread their covid when they go home.

IMO, masks in schools are an acceptable tradeoff for a return to school during a raging pandemic. Delta has changed the game rather dramatically and we need to adapt appropriately.

Again, thanks for sharing your opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies