Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2021, 01:27 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Interesting, how many Democrats say we can't afford a lockdown now because Biden is President, but yet they were for a business closures also nicknamed "lockdowns" when Trump was President with a fraction of the number of cases compared to today.

Amazing, how the Democrats wanted massive lockdowns when their a fraction of the number of cases but now since they are in control they want few restrictions.

Seems like now Joe Biden aggressive herd immunity strategy is President that the Democrats are just going to let COVID rip through the population.

This is article from last March when Trump wanted things opened again and when there were a fraction of the cases nationwide compared to yesterday.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dem...ht-coronavirus
It's amazing how the Liberals did NOT want to use "Trump's vaccines" but as soon as pedo rapist Biden got on board, now the same Liberals (like Commie Harris) tell people you MUST get the vaccine.

Here’s what the Trump team’s contracts called for drugmakers to supply to the U.S. government:

Pfizer-BioNTech: 100 million doses (two-dose regimen)
Moderna: 100 million doses (two-dose regimen)
Johnson & Johnson: 100 million doses (one-dose regimen)
AstraZeneca: 300 million doses (two-dose regimen)
Novavax: 100 million doses (two-dose regimen)
Sanofi-GlaxoSmithKline: 100 million doses (one- or two-dose regimen)

Old 08-01-2021, 01:29 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,130,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Everyone has to do what is best for them and those around them. But everything I have read about Delta makes me feel everyone is going to get exposed to it. So let it rip or not let it rip the end results will be the same.

And I am not the only one. Andrew Sullivan. One time log cabin republican and two time Obama supporter says let it rip also:

https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/p/let-it-rip-f9c

So let it rip. The one silver lining of plagues in the past is that, at some point, they blew themselves out, by creating herd immunity. What we have done with Covid is greatly slow that process down. We did so for good reasons — because it would give us time to get a vaccine, and because a full-scale epidemic would overwhelm the healthcare system. But now that we have several vaccines, and can adjust them from time to time, and the healthcare system is not on the verge of collapse, the logic for lockdowns and masking has completely disappeared.

By getting rid of these barriers to transmission, we can actually accelerate the end of the plague, by allowing natural forces to take the helm. Which suggests another reason for getting this over with more quickly: the longer a virus hangs out in a population, the more able it is to mutate and evolve. Quickening this process can reduce that possibility.

Respectfully, Andrew Sullivan is not a public health expert-- he has no medical training. He also has one illness which was avoidable (I would be called a bigot if I named the illness, so I'm not going to). So I don't really care what he says.

I've made it through the Covid-19 pandemic so far unscathed (and my grandparents made it through the 1918 flu epidemic unscathed). I'm going to keep my face mask on and going to keep social distancing and will race to get a booster shot when feasible. If everyone (other than people who would have medical exemptions) would get vaccinated, then the risk to me- and the risk to everyone else- from this continuing pandemic would be lowered. At some point there will likely be a vaccine for the Delta variant, fortunately.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:31 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Has Informed Consent responded?

Yes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Completely false. Those age 18 to 39 are NOT 58% Republican. Far from it. In 2020, they voted 55%-59% Democrat.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics...-2020-victory/

The two least vaccine-compliant groups are Blacks and those age 18 to 39. Both groups overwhelmingly voted Democrat in 2020. Just look at the Pew Research Charts.

The older age groups have the highest vaccine compliance rates and also overwhelmingly vote Republican. Again, look at the Pew Charts.

Facts matter.

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Unless the reasons for refusing the vaccine are known, this poll doesn’t mean much. People who have had Covid and recovered are in the hundreds of thousands. After learning that the vaccine could do harm to them, why would they get it. Flat out no for anyone recovered is understandable.

Some people who are pro vaccine and are recovered from covid are not fully vaccinated because the first shot was way too much. They knew better not to get the second.
Very true. The vax shamers on TV are attacking this group too. I have heard them say those that didn't get the 2nd shot are as bad as the unvaccinated as they are still not fully protected. They are accusing them of being responsible for "escape mutants" and continuing the pandemic. Doesn't matter what their Dr.'s say about the dangers of a 2nd shot. It's all so crazy. They will never stop until they get 100% vaccine compliance.

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
The drug does not prevent transmission and isn't designed to prevent transmission.

It's only supposed benefit is lessening the severity of sickness in the user,

which is not true it turns out,

Incorrect. As has been pointed out endlessly those those sick in the hospital or dead from covid are 99.7% or greater unvaccinated. You are taking the .3% of that total and taking it totally out of context. Well perhaps not you but whoever you are parroting. '

Old 08-01-2021, 01:32 PM

5,209 posts, read 1,797,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
Pretty simple. The vaccines DO work but they're not perfect. Breakthrough infections among the vaccinated, while rare, do occur and those infected can be just as infectious as those who are unvaccinated and infected.

A counter to your first question has been expressed many times on these forums and that goes something like this - If I'm vaccinated, why should I wear a mask? The answer for me is that I don't wear a mask unless I'm in a situation where I might pose a threat of asymptomatic spread to others. I wear one to the barber because even though we both may be vaccinated it's impossible to social distance and out of an abundance of caution and even though the risk is exceedingly low, I'll just put on my mask to mitigate the risk. No big deal. I don't really see the need to mask up at the grocery store as it's possible to social distance.

I'm absolutely not angry. The vaccines DO work and that's proven by the fact that the overwhelming majority of covid-related hospitalizations are now among the unvaccinated.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-have-n1275500
I have no problem wearing a mask voluntarily. I was wearing one when the "experts" told me not to. I'll continue to wear one when I think it is appropriate. We are done with the mandates and restrictions, though. Time to move to voluntary, personal protections.

I take issue with the word 'rare.' I don't think they are nearly as rare as they claim. Since we're not mass testing the vaccinated, we can't know the true extent.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:35 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
lol The causally and polite 'Won't you please?', ain't workin'!!
Just because you’re asking politely doesn’t mean you don’t want it to be mandatory and forced by any means necessary. If I reply “No, but thank you for the offer.” will you accept that graciously and go about your business?

Old 08-01-2021, 01:37 PM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Completely false. Those age 18 to 39 are NOT 58% Republican. Far from it. In 2020, they voted 55%-59% Democrat.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics...-2020-victory/

The two least vaccine-compliant groups are Blacks and those age 18 to 39. Both groups overwhelmingly voted Democrat in 2020. Just look at the Pew Research Charts.

The older age groups have the highest vaccine compliance rates and also overwhelmingly vote Republican. Again, look at the Pew Charts.

Facts matter.
First of all 65% of people 18 or older voted in 2020. So you are ignoring 35% of Americans using your Pew data. And the Pew data has nothing to do with vaccine hesitancy. You have to look at all people not just voters. My numbers are right. Whether you go by race or zip code. Just look at the state data. Red states are at the bottom of vaccination rates blue states are at the top.

These 6 red and blue states tell you everything you need to know about where Delta is hitting hardest — and why

https://news.yahoo.com/these-6-red-a...183835357.html

Just how disproportionately conservative? Glance at any state-by-state list of COVID data and the pattern becomes clear. Just three of the 25 states with the lowest vaccination rates voted for Biden; just three of the 25 states with the highest vaccination rates voted for Trump. By the same token, just 1 of the 10 states with the highest hospitalization rates (Nevada) voted for Biden — and just 1 of the 10 states with the lowest hospitalization rates (South Dakota) voted for Trump

The vast majority of people not getting the vaccine are white republicans. You should own that. Why run from it?

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 08-01-2021 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-01-2021, 01:46 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,590,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
People should just be happy the shots protect them from serious illness and dying, and leave everyone else alone. No more mandates, rules, or hoops to jump through. Get the 'vaccine' or don't...and move on.
Well, they are saying they want vaccinated people to wear a mask to protect the unvaccinated. So naturally vaccinated people will feel that the unvaccinated are forcing a delay in returning to "normalcy".

Old 08-01-2021, 01:55 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I’m vaccinated, and I’ll get the booster. Then I’ll live my life mask less, and come what may.

If a business wants me to prove I’m vaccinated, that’s fine. If a business requires masks, I may or may not choose to go there.

I can’t tell you how strongly Im against the masking of school children. If I had children in school, I’d be willing to go to jail first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies