Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2021, 08:02 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,187,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The local paper just ran a story acknowledging that Covid deaths are occuring in younger people than last year and the vaccinated are the majority of the deaths. That being older people. But I wonder if these are actual Covid deaths or are they just people passing away due to the vaxx complications and side effects.
Saw it too long ago to find now and, as like
many things, not totally official but the estimate was that for the elderly vaccinated, the levels were that of an unvaxxed 50 year old.
Take it for what it's worth

Old 09-08-2021, 08:21 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,083,387 times
252,000 children test positive for covid Nationwide since schools opened 3 weeks ago.

No surprise that school districts without mask mandates are seeing much higher numbers.

https://twitter.com/katalin_pota/sta...35477729939459

Old 09-08-2021, 08:45 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,722,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I don't know why people who are so averse to what Biden has to say about the pandemic would subject themselves to it. I like Biden, yet I don't enjoy listening to what he has to say most of the time. Never been a fan of press conferences or addresses. I'd rather just pick up the gist in the news.
Oh gosh, I'm the opposite, I want to hear the full presidents' and governors' speeches and addresses.

Last thing I want is to listen to someone else interpret what they say.

I'll also take C-SPAN any day over watching some news show.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
c

Lots of people are forgetting/overlooking/never realized the CDC itself is estimated 120MM cases, not just the 41MM known cases.

I absolutely do not believe that there is 3 times the amount of cases that are confirmed. How is that science?

You have to make a lot of illogical assumptions to get to that number, huge number of sick people who wouldn't get tested, huge number of asymptomatic people that didn't result in spreading to huge numbers of other people, huge numbers of false negatives.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:03 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,790,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I absolutely do not believe that there is 3 times the amount of cases that are confirmed. How is that science?

You have to make a lot of illogical assumptions to get to that number, huge number of sick people who wouldn't get tested, huge number of asymptomatic people that didn't result in spreading to huge numbers of other people, huge numbers of false negatives.
Sample bias. For as long as testing is voluntary, people who aren't required to get tested who are asymptomatic have no reason to get tested.

Just like many mild cases of the flu are treated with bedrest and chicken soup.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:05 AM

1,969 posts, read 675,959 times
Quote:

What percentage of people are tested/confirmed then?
You are making some huge and false assumptions about the percentage of people who get sick (and the severity of that illness) from Covid. Not your fault; the media has sold it as a debilitating condition.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:08 AM

17,401 posts, read 14,626,192 times
Quote:

The CDC does estimated burden for influenza for years - there is no reason to doubt their estimated covid burden numbers.

From the CDC:

Quote:
To better reflect the full burden of COVID-19, CDC provides estimates of COVID-19 infections, symptomatic illnesses, hospitalizations, and deaths using statistical models to adjust for cases that national surveillance networks do not capture for a number of reasons. These estimates and the methodologies used to calculate them are published in Clinical Infectious Diseasesexternal icon and The Lancet Regional Health – Americasexternal icon. These estimates will be updated periodically.
And it IS based on science. For example, there was a study done last year in California that tested for antibodies - the number of people who tested postive far outnumbered the amount of confirmed covid positives.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:12 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
252,000 children test positive for covid Nationwide since schools opened 3 weeks ago.

No surprise that school districts without mask mandates are seeing much higher numbers.

https://twitter.com/katalin_pota/sta...35477729939459

So what? How many deaths?

Old 09-08-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiatype View Post
What percentage of people are tested/confirmed then?
You are making some huge and false assumptions about the percentage of people who get sick (and the severity of that illness) from Covid. Not your fault; the media has sold it as a debilitating condition.
I also put no faith into the daily reports of positivity rates and community spread because they are not testing a scientific sample of people, only those who choose to get tested.

So, if we go along with the estimated 30% of the people who had covid instead of the confirmed 11%, then all the odds of getting severely sick/hospitalized/dying go down even further, correct? Or are they basing those percentages on confirmed cases?

And every night the news reports the daily covid numbers. They report confirmed cases/deaths. They do not triple the numbers.

I know it's not debilitating to most people, I know more than 100 people who have had it.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:44 AM

17,401 posts, read 14,626,192 times
Quote:
I also put no faith into the daily reports of positivity rates and community spread because they are not testing a scientific sample of people, only those who choose to get tested.

So, if we go along with the estimated 30% of the people who had covid instead of the confirmed 11%, then all the odds of getting severely sick/hospitalized/dying go down even further, correct? Or are they basing those percentages on confirmed cases?

And every night the news reports the daily covid numbers. They report confirmed cases/deaths. They do not triple the numbers.

I know it's not debilitating to most people, I know more than 100 people who have had it.
It depends on what your motive is.

If you are overly emotional want to scare people about how deadly covid is, you use the confirmed cases number.

If you are realistic and sane and logical, you use the estimated covid burden number of 120 million (most likely 130 million by now - 120 million was in May) from the CDC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies