Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2020, 09:21 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,102,660 times

Advertisements

If I get the Covid19, can I still go to the drive-thru at chic-fil-a or not?

Old 03-06-2020, 09:23 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
They said on CBS today, anyone 55 years or older, should stay out of public areas where there are lots of people, until they get a handle on this virus.
Yes, great -- and what do they expect people over 55 to do who have important jobs and what are they supposed to do for things like grocery shopping if they have no one close by who can do that for them -- not to mention that they would come into contact with the delivery people (or relatives) who might have the virus?

Sorry -- truly -- but I think that this kind of thing is fear-mongering that might create some unnecessary panic (at this point), and for myself, I am going to continue my life as usual until the numbers in my state are much higher than they are now (one case) and/or I come down with symptoms myself -- and, then, yes, I will definitely self-quarantine. (I am 66, btw.)

P.S. On Edit: I just checked online and found nothing about this or anyone else saying such a thing.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-06-2020 at 09:50 AM..

Old 03-06-2020, 09:25 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Costco is rationing water now.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:27 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Thanks, I had NO idea!! Because, if that were the case, I would think that within two weeks time, that would apply to everyone in every major metropolitan area! (Think "six degrees of separation".)

But if that is so, wouldn't that mean that domestic air travel (meaning travel between one U.S. city to another U.S. city) would also soon need to be stopped?

I am not trying to be an idiot or contribute to a panic or be argumentative -- I am simply trying to get as many facts as I can, so I truly do appreciate everyone's contribution of facts.
Your understanding of the "6 degrees of separation" nature of how pathogens spread is correct and they probably should have already suspended most domestic air travel but it is pretty unlikely they will due to the economic fallout.

We will probably be hitting the stride of the exponential growth cycle in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:29 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Costco is rationing water now.
So what? You can get water from your tap. And it is much cheaper than CostCo's.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:30 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I hesitate to ask here because there's so much flying around but has anyone seen any advice for immuno-compromised yet and if so, can provide a link? I ask because I have a daughter who is such and she's all the way over in Kansas City. We get the hand washing, etc but I mean besides the basics like that.
Best thing for people with weakened immune systems would be identical to what to do if you actually catch it.

Self imposed isolation. As much as possible.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:30 AM

39,238 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
So what? You can get water from your tap. And it is much cheaper than CostCo's.
Plastic bottles are bad for the environment, however, you do feel much safer drinking bottled water versus boiled water because bottled water doesn't have any contaminants. Boiling water kills a lot of bacteria, however, it doesn't remove dissolved chemicals or particulates.

Honestly, this is just my own opinion and my own feeling, I feel boiling water is much better at this point. Plus, I drink a lot of grapefruit juice and I drink a mixed vegetable juice everyday. (horrible tasting, but you have to do what you have to do) My mixed vegetable combination is: green pepper, cabbage, eggplant, tomato, and garlic) lol

I am with you there, I don't care if they are out of bottled water.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:46 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,763,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, great -- and what do they expect people over 55 to do who have important jobs and what are they supposed to do for things like grocery shopping if they have no one close by who can do that for them -- not to mention that they would come into contact with the delivery people (or relatives) who might have the virus?

Sorry -- truly -- but I think that this kind of thing is fear-mongering that might create some unnecessary panic (at this point), and for myself, I am going to continue my life as usual until the numbers in my state are much higher than they are now (one case) and/or I come down with symptoms myself (and, then, yes, I will definitely self-quarantine. (I am 66, btw.)

P.S. On Edit: I just checked online and found nothing about this or anyone else saying such a thing.
CBS This Morning News, watch the video. You can do as you please. Get out there and live your life. I will follow the general recommendations of the CDC.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:47 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Your understanding of the "6 degrees of separation" nature of how pathogens spread is correct and they probably should have already suspended most domestic air travel but it is pretty unlikely they will due to the economic fallout.

We will probably be hitting the stride of the exponential growth cycle in the next 2 to 3 weeks.
Maybe if we don't take measures to restrict movement, but in China, Korea etc they never did get exponential growth. If you examine the graphs, it was pretty linear until it plateaued in China and now possibly in Korea as well. That said, we may see exponential growth if the testing gets underway full force, but that is likely measuring cases that had not been detected before.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:49 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I hate to throw ice water on everyone's panic, but persons, young and old confirmed with CoVid-19 are being discharged well from hospitals daily.

If you have fever 100.0 and a dry cough give your doctor a call.

If you have any breathing problems call 911.

Practice good hygeine.
This is the problem (cited in WaPo): “I don’t think we’re going to be able to control it, the same as we’re not able to control flu,” said Jeffrey Shaman, a Columbia University epidemiologist. “The problem is, this is 10 times or maybe 20 times the burden of a typical seasonal flu. Maybe 40 times. That is daunting.”

Disease-burden is an important measure. Those who need hospitalization tie up beds for a extensive period of time. Due to an apparent high rate of relapse, China has set up post-hospital camps to ensure released patients don't again become infectious.

Covid-19 is not that lethal in the absolute but it has a bunch of nasty characteristics that make it a b*itch to manage. Its ability to spread (r naught) - creating this chaos - is relatively high. (China controlled that factor thru quarantines; don't look for that here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Maybe if we don't take measures to restrict movement, but in China, Korea etc they never did get exponential growth. If you examine the graphs, it was pretty linear until it plateaued in China and now possibly in Korea as well. That said, we may see exponential growth if the testing gets underway full force, but that is likely measuring cases that had not been detected before.
China and Korea also put major effort into continuing to track the virus, employing sophisticated technologies. Data appear to show the virus never became widespread in those populations - it never had a chance to. Sure there are a lot of undiagnosed cases here in the US but they will be a drop in the proverbial bucket compared to what will happen over a few months with any unrestrained exponential growth.

No doubt everyone is hoping for a seasonal factor to buy time to prepare. Or some other still unknown characteristic that will impact r-naught. Count me in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies