Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2020, 10:22 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
The expert from the U of MN did not say people over 55 should “stay out of public”. He said they may want to avoid air travel and large crowds. The point would be to avoid places where the 6 foot buffer is non existent. People can safely go to work, go grocery shopping etc as long as they practice social distancing and wash their hands and any surfaces they touch while entering their homes when they return. Simple stuff.
But this isn't simple. For example, I'm over 55 (seemingly healthy but hey) and live with my college-age daughter with her boyfriend here most of the time. He's a teacher in an elementary school (and children are believed to be carriers making the classroom a potential Petri dish). Do I practice "social distancing" from THEM? In a common household? As we all know, folks can be asymptomatic but contagious at least for a while (there appear to be few who remain totally asymptomatic albeit with mild symptoms not diagnosed).

Again, this stuff just ain't that simple with the platitudes being dispensed in the name of "calming the public" not always practical. I'm a big girl. I can handle negative news and a hassle. But I don't want to be patronized with gobble-****.

I heard some "expert advice" the other day that was patently ridiculous - but that's other topic.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:23 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
The expert from the U of MN did not say people over 55 should “stay out of public”. He said they may want to avoid air travel and large crowds. The point would be to avoid places where the 6 foot buffer is non existent. People can safely go to work, go grocery shopping etc as long as they practice social distancing and wash their hands and any surfaces they touch while entering their homes when they return. Simple stuff.
Right......no reason to go to the grocery store during rush hour when everyone and his brother is stopping by if you can go early am or late night when few people are there.

At some point, people have to apply common sense and take personal responsibility for deciding what precautions to take in order to keep themselves and their families safe both from the virus and from the segment of society that has no common sense or concept of personal responsibility.

Nothing is failsafe and perfection is not required. There is a huge middle ground of options.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:24 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
First off, the countries you've listed have ten fold more cases of coronavirus then America, at this present time.

Second, what would you have done differently if you were in charge?

Old 03-06-2020, 10:25 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,821,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
How is it that we're such a rich nation, supposedly all that and a bag of chips, when other nations like South Korea, China, and Italy have been able to test at drastically greater volume than we are? And not only are we the richest, we also had the benefit of like two months of foresight into this situation. Epidemiologists and doctors are pointing out daily how we've dropped the ball on this.

Why isn't Trump's CDC appointee kicking some asses over there? Why isn't Trump? I think he realizes this is already a **** show, which is why he shoved Mike Pence into the spotlight to take the hit.

If you don't even have working capacity to test at scale, you're in the dark as to the real current scope of the problem you're trying to tackle. How can you be successful this way?

We are such a pathetic popsicle stand.
Not only that, other countries are offering to pay for the testing, hospitalization, etc. Not us though.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:27 AM

2,495 posts, read 868,168 times
What does CDC even do?

Old 03-06-2020, 10:28 AM

19,815 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Right......no reason to go to the grocery store during rush hour when everyone and his brother is stopping by if you can go early am or late night when few people are there.

At some point, people have to apply common sense and take personal responsibility for deciding what precautions to take in order to keep themselves and their families safe both from the virus and from the segment of society that has no common sense or concept of personal responsibility.

Nothing is failsafe and perfection is not required. There is a huge middle ground of options.
"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Blondy again."

Old 03-06-2020, 10:28 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times
We should implement a mandatory 21 day home quarantine for everyone. It will hurt for a month but likely get this back under control.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:31 AM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
The CDC provides guidance and guidelines for Federal, State, and local government groups like Health Departments to follow. They also research and develop the testing kits in this case. They do not make them or manufacture though that is a federal government issue.

If you don’t like the overall response by health officials, lack of mask and protective equipment at hospitals, and scattered information being released then blame the people responsible, those are not the job of the CDC.

Messaging and response starts at the Federal level for. National issue involving international and multiple states.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:37 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
We should implement a mandatory 21 day home quarantine for everyone. It will hurt for a month but likely get this back under control.
Who is going to bring food to the people that aren't stocked up for 21 days?

Old 03-06-2020, 10:41 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
But this isn't simple. For example, I'm over 55 (seemingly healthy but hey) and live with my college-age daughter with her boyfriend here most of the time. He's a teacher in an elementary school (and children are believed to be carriers making the classroom a potential Petri dish). Do I practice "social distancing" from THEM? In a common household? As we all know, folks can be asymptomatic but contagious at least for a while (there appear to be few who remain totally asymptomatic albeit with mild symptoms not diagnosed).

Again, this stuff just ain't that simple with the platitudes being dispensed in the name of "calming the public" not always practical. I'm a big girl. I can handle negative news and a hassle. But I don't want to be patronized with gobble-****.

I heard some "expert advice" the other day that was patently ridiculous - but that's other topic.
There are things you can do it even within a household. Institute a policy where hands are thoroughly washed and clothes are changed immediately when returning home. Wipe down surfaces you touch regularly. Don’t sit right next to each other on the sofa, spread out. If someone is ill isolate them as best you can, have them wear a mask, have a separate thermometer for each person, wear gloves when tending to them and wash up well afterwards. No hugging, kissing (you) or sharing glasses. It’s not rocket science and nothing more than you should be doing if flu is prevalent in your community.

Why not take simple easy steps to try and avoid getting sick? No one needs to panic about COVID 19, but throwing your hands up and doing nothing seems equally foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies