Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2020, 03:47 AM

18,469 posts, read 7,108,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The alcohol is probably more unhealthy (if only for the pounds), makes a person intoxicated, and is more addictive yet it's considered normal. If a person goes home and lights up a joint they are considered a deadbeat drag on society and in most states, a criminal who belongs behind bars. You might even go out with your coworkers for beers after work, but if you ask if they want to smoke a joint you'll lose your job and good luck finding another one thanks to pre-employment drug screening. Alcohol typically makes people more aggressive and to certain people, more prone to anger and violence. Weed typically mellows people out and just makes them laugh. Even if you use marijuana for medicinal reasons, you have to keep it on the down-low because conservative society says it's just an excuse for potheads to smoke pot. Yet, the same people wouldn't bat an eye at people popping Oxycontin all day long.

Why is drinking a few beers after work to wind down the day socially acceptable but smoking a joint isn't?

Because you can have a drink or two without getting drunk. .....Especially if you're not guzzling them down.

But you really can't smoke a joint without getting stoned.

Especially with today's designer weed......this ain't your Daddy's dope.

The entire goal of smoking a joint is too get stoned.

So you're kind of comparing apples to oranges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 03:54 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,535,539 times
I guess I have to wonder why do you care if smoking a joint is socially acceptable? There will always be some people who disapprove of just about anything. If I am sitting in my back yard and decide to smoke a joint, that is my business. Eventually it WILL be legal throughout the country but we are not there yet. And still, many people will not approve. That is their problem, you don’t have to make it yours.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:03 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,213,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I would worry about you if you drank a few beers after work every day.
This actually was socially acceptable, and not uncommon, 40 years ago. My first job as an Engineer back in 1985 it was common to have a drink or 2 at lunch.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:13 AM

18,469 posts, read 7,108,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What the hell are you smoking? Do you have bay leaves in your spice rack? Burn one, the smell is identical.

Most weed hasn't smelled like what you're describing in a long time

In the 80's, Mexican and Colombian weed smelled like that.

Today's weed, the designer strains of what old stoners would refer to as Sinsemilia, has a distinctly sweet/skunky smell.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:22 AM

34,256 posts, read 18,624,274 times
OP, why do you care what is "socially acceptable" and what other people think, other than the legal ramifications? If it is legal in your state, and your employer is ok with it, then have at it. However, instead of taking drugs (both alcohol and pot are drugs) to "wind down" after work, why not go to the gym and exercise to relieve stress? Much healthier, and much better for long term mental and physical health.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:51 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,249,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What the hell are you smoking? Do you have bay leaves in your spice rack? Burn one, the smell is identical.
I do not do any intoxicants. Only losers do. The smell of dope is extremely rancid. It’s disgusting like the people who use it.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:56 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,514,277 times
Happy to say that here in Colorado we honor 4:20 as the new beer:30.

I don't even hear the term "pothead" here so we have been able to remove the stigma attached to MJ entirely.

Other states are just behind the times.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:59 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,249,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
it is not addictive.... and there are 10,001 uses for hemp / cannabis other than getting high
Yes it is. Why do stoners feel the need to fire up a fatty?

Old 03-03-2020, 04:59 AM

20,168 posts, read 9,069,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
And the conservative Republicans are working as hard as they can to keep it illegal and stigmatized today.

And congratulations on being the first poster to bring party into this thread.
lets put weed legalization on the ballot this fall. I bet it wouldn't pass in spite of what polls tell you.

Old 03-03-2020, 05:01 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,514,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Yes it is. Why do stoners feel the need to fire up a fatty?
To chillout... you should try it.

My mom is 70, she smokes for her arthritis and it doesn't make her fat like beer and wine do.

p.s. nobody uses the terms stoner or pothead anymore... you sound like a boomer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies