Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2020, 11:09 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Why is drinking a few beers after work to wind down the day socially acceptable but smoking a joint isn't?
Why do you need to "wind down?"

And why do you need to consume a drug?

Why can't you play squash or racquetball or handball? Why can't you go to the park and play Frisbee golf or walk around or sit around and joke? There are thousands of things to do, other than consume drugs.

The fact that you think you need to medicate is indicative of underlying emotional and/or psychological problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 11:12 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The alcohol is probably more unhealthy (if only for the pounds), makes a person intoxicated, and is more addictive yet it's considered normal. If a person goes home and lights up a joint they are considered a deadbeat drag on society and in most states, a criminal who belongs behind bars. You might even go out with your coworkers for beers after work, but if you ask if they want to smoke a joint you'll lose your job and good luck finding another one thanks to pre-employment drug screening. Alcohol typically makes people more aggressive and to certain people, more prone to anger and violence. Weed typically mellows people out and just makes them laugh. Even if you use marijuana for medicinal reasons, you have to keep it on the down-low because conservative society says it's just an excuse for potheads to smoke pot. Yet, the same people wouldn't bat an eye at people popping Oxycontin all day long.

Why is drinking a few beers after work to wind down the day socially acceptable but smoking a joint isn't?
I view them as basically the same overall.

The negatives on the pot side are that in general it's hard to use in an apartment complex or urban area without affecting other people negatively, something pot worshippers don't care about seemingly. The smell of weed permeating city apartment buildings is something that children shouldn't have to be exposed to, and it's becoming very common and would be more so if it were made legal. Also, smoking anything every day is going to increase your chances of lung cancer, period.

Alcohol I think is more poisonous overall and people are more aggressive under it's influence, but I can sit at a restaurant and a have a glass of wine and have no effect on those around me. Unless you are into edibles, you can't say that about pot.

But again, all things considered, there's no reason pot should be viewed as any worse than alcohol.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:14 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,117,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Why can't you play squash or racquetball or handball? Why can't you go to the park and play Frisbee golf or walk around or sit around and joke? There are thousands of things to do, other than consume drugs.

The fact that you think you need to medicate is indicative of underlying emotional and/or psychological problems.
I get off work, long commute, it’s 8pm by the time I get home.

Dman right I want a cold one. Maybe hit a bar, mingle, hook up with someone. The other night met a girl, we had a good convo and smoked out. If I wanna play sports or hike, that’s a morning thing...

Old 03-03-2020, 11:16 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Maybe because I enjoy it?

Republicans don't give me that freedom though so I don't. Why do you care so much?

Old 03-03-2020, 12:03 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
I think the stigma is lessening. I live in Seattle where weed is legal. Was listening to an interview from the head of a local cannibis company. The big demand from the general populace is just that, producing a product that allows one to unwind after a long day. The big push is to develop products in the edible category only because many clients don't like the idea of smoking.

Smoking an entire joint would be overkill for most clients. Popping a cannibis mint on the other hand is where the industry is heading.

So to rephrase the question, is there still stigma about popping an edible mint at the end of the day to blow off steam a big deal? I most would say not a big deal and becoming more socially acceptable.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I would worry about you if you drank a few beers after work every day.
Right. That is alcohol abuse.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:22 PM

50,297 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Despite that, a lot of people use it anyway. Many employers don't even test for it anymore.
My Company only tests if they have an accident during work hours. Then they test the entire department. So, even if weed is legal in the State or City you can still lose your job. You can also still get popped by Federal employees at a check point or on the water.

So to me, nope not worth it.

Old 03-03-2020, 12:58 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,389,157 times
You hit a nerve with me. So I take up your defense and use it as a chance to rant.

I don't have to worry about it because pot is legal where I live but much more expensive than it was in the "old days". It did not ruin my life nor get me into trouble whatsoever. I use it socially.

I found out that people consider pot as a dangerous drug but don't want their options to drink alcohol (toxic chemical) taken away although it ruins families, liver and brain disease, loss of home, violence and domestic abuse, loss of family, drunk driving, and stigma associated with alcoholism. Approx 10 % of the population are problem drinkers and alcholics.

What is the saying? Why worry about a speck in your friend's eye when you have a log in your own or hypocrites who attack others for their small flaws while ignoring their own massive ones. Those who judge others, butdo not evaluate themselves.
People are so sensitive to any thing that makes them uncomfortable. Nowadays perfume/scents are not allowed in doctor's offices and other public placedue to sensitivities in a small amout of people in the population. Christian symbols in schools are being removed because it is said to offend people of other religions. A little prayer in school is a good thing. It sets the tone for the rest of the day. Besides we are all praying to the same entity, a higher power.

If you encounter a smoker when you are outdoors can you really beleive that a tiny cigarette is going to cause pollution enough to kill you??? Duh.Doh. Now car exhaust. chemicals in products used and eaten daily, IS poisoning us.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:05 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Right. That is alcohol abuse.
Again cultural I think... in some countries alcohol is consumed with dinner. I have coworkers/partners that work from Germany and alcohol is served in the workplace.

Many medical professionals approach consumption or vice by determining if there is an impact to quality of life. If the behavior becomes compulsive and destructive then yes it probably crossed the line into abuse.

Keep in mind anything (even food) can be abused and addictive. It isn't so much that you consume it but rather how it impacts life. In the end though, a person who is having a single drink daily after work is far more acceptable than a person who even takes a single drag off of a joint or blunt.

Old 03-03-2020, 01:08 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Nope.

Ex stoner, Boomer here

I know exactly what weed does to you.
The fallacy is that your personal experience is applicable to general public. Individuals can tolerate different substances differently.... some get addicted... some never get addicted.

Plenty of boomers smoked weed.... and I don't see a generation destroyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies