Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2020, 06:08 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The police care and employers care. They care because Republicans care.
This is what you get from wanting government to run your life from cradle to grave. Look in the mirror if you want to see the cause of our problems. Happy now?

Legalize freedom and defend rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 06:10 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
I'd love to smoke a cigar if it wouldn't cause me to go buy a pack of cigarettes. As a former pack-a-day smoker, I can't even touch nicotine. Love cigars though.
No worries, We'll get government to protect you from yourself.

Old 03-13-2020, 07:43 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
Quote:
Well, the police have a 4th Amendment barrier to simply coming into your home, and your employment is a purely voluntary exercise that comes with conditions that both sides must honor as part of the voluntary association called the employment contract.

If you want to get high, don't work for an employer who drug tests. Lots of companies now won't employ cigarette smokers or vapers who use nicotine. Kick the habit or work elsewhere. That's really simple.

The agents of tyranny? Well, being anonymous is always your best recourse with Leviathan. So if you want to get high, grow/harvest your own weed or find one of those "licensed doctors" who give out medical chiba cards and get one.

Then we land squarely back at WGAFF?

Old 03-13-2020, 08:49 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Well, lets be honest about that, the police 'care' about this ONLY because its in their best interest to care, however its NOT that they are concerned about public health or safety though.

Employers also care if employees are using/abusing alcohol, but on the other hand, they dont mind if the employee has a few drinks when they are off work, police do not have a problem with this either, even though alcohol related traffic accidents, domestic violence, etc are all fueled by booze...

Kind of strange police CARE so much about marijuana, but when it comes to alcohol, its a different story, if they TRULY cared for public health and safety, police would be advocating for alcohol prohibition, (alcohol causes MUCH more societal and health problems than marijuana).

Old 03-13-2020, 09:21 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
The alcohol is probably more unhealthy (if only for the pounds), makes a person intoxicated, and is more addictive yet it's considered normal. If a person goes home and lights up a joint they are considered a deadbeat drag on society and in most states, a criminal who belongs behind bars. You might even go out with your coworkers for beers after work, but if you ask if they want to smoke a joint you'll lose your job and good luck finding another one thanks to pre-employment drug screening. Alcohol typically makes people more aggressive and to certain people, more prone to anger and violence. Weed typically mellows people out and just makes them laugh. Even if you use marijuana for medicinal reasons, you have to keep it on the down-low because conservative society says it's just an excuse for potheads to smoke pot. Yet, the same people wouldn't bat an eye at people popping Oxycontin all day long.

Why is drinking a few beers after work to wind down the day socially acceptable but smoking a joint isn't?
This has been a talking point for a LONG time. Personally I believe that alcohol is more harmful and destructive by itself than all other drugs combined. Including those evil opiates.

I used to drink. Went through a patch where I drank very heavily. It was the worst experience of my life. I was self medicating for both physical and mental pain and it almost killed me. And drove a wedge in my personal relationships.

Haven't touched the stuff in well over a year and dont miss it. I'm on a pain management program and use a light dose of hydromorphone with gabapentin. I dont use either every day and reserve them for the inevitable really bad days. Usually at the end of the day.

Unlike alcohol I maintain my self control and ability to function. And they dont make me sick. Weed has no effect on me but my GF swears by it. And she gave up drinking when I did. With no regrets either.

Yet despite all the negative effects of alcohol it is readily available 24/7. With all the hoopla over opioids you'd think that people are croaking en masse from them, but that's actually not the case. Far more are dieing from alcohol abuse.

I'm rather of the opinion that certain drugs such as opioids and weed could be available OTC and may even see abuse of alcohol sharply drop. Without other ill effect as well.

Just spitballing but actual experience of my own leads me to feel thus. Oh, I can hear the howling saying I have no clue of what I speak. But I do. And that's how I feel.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:14 PM

85 posts, read 32,119 times
Hi Guys and Girls ~ I have ranches in two states ~ Cannabis is legal now in both ~ I've have use of this plant for about 65 years, grew it on the folks ranch ~ got in trouble when I was 16...

All these years later I regret that one political party permitted the left wing to have this issue ~ and issue of freedom, I think it helped along with voter fraud to get hold of the government ```

Good luck ~ gotta get lunch ready for daughter ~ Bye ```

Old 03-22-2021, 01:26 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Neither should be acceptable but it’s a free country.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:38 PM

52,289 posts, read 52,723,379 times
I think places like CA where it's legal for recreational use I think that the stigma is starting to drop a bit. My dad was a raging full blown alcoholic and he still looked down on MJ use.

I personally not a fan of MJ, but whatever, as long as it's legal for use, who am I to make judgments. I assuming that someone isn't out driving or at work or whatever. Toke up at home in the evening is I guess, again, not my thing, but whatever.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:42 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,240,545 times
Quote:
The alcohol is probably more unhealthy (if only for the pounds), makes a person intoxicated, and is more addictive yet it's considered normal. If a person goes home and lights up a joint they are considered a deadbeat drag on society and in most states, a criminal who belongs behind bars. You might even go out with your coworkers for beers after work, but if you ask if they want to smoke a joint you'll lose your job and good luck finding another one thanks to pre-employment drug screening. Alcohol typically makes people more aggressive and to certain people, more prone to anger and violence. Weed typically mellows people out and just makes them laugh. Even if you use marijuana for medicinal reasons, you have to keep it on the down-low because conservative society says it's just an excuse for potheads to smoke pot. Yet, the same people wouldn't bat an eye at people popping Oxycontin all day long.

Why is drinking a few beers after work to wind down the day socially acceptable but smoking a joint isn't?
I find marijuana smoke far more offensive than beer smoke.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:21 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I find marijuana smoke far more offensive than beer smoke.
Talk about '1st world gripes'...when smells are offensive. LOL

Just to note, I hate the smell too, I regularly smell it on customers who come into our stores...but who am I to complain about 'smells on other people'? Its none of my business, so I suck it up and get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies