Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 07:03 AM

30,355 posts, read 23,822,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The alcohol is probably more unhealthy (if only for the pounds), makes a person intoxicated, and is more addictive yet it's considered normal. If a person goes home and lights up a joint they are considered a deadbeat drag on society and in most states, a criminal who belongs behind bars. You might even go out with your coworkers for beers after work, but if you ask if they want to smoke a joint you'll lose your job and good luck finding another one thanks to pre-employment drug screening. Alcohol typically makes people more aggressive and to certain people, more prone to anger and violence. Weed typically mellows people out and just makes them laugh. Even if you use marijuana for medicinal reasons, you have to keep it on the down-low because conservative society says it's just an excuse for potheads to smoke pot. Yet, the same people wouldn't bat an eye at people popping Oxycontin all day long.

Why is drinking a few beers after work to wind down the day socially acceptable but smoking a joint isn't?
Because I can't smell your beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 07:23 AM

9,957 posts, read 4,708,872 times
Many would argue having a few drinks after work isn't a good idea either. It's chemical/artificial relief to stress much of which is probably self inflicted. Not saying a job can't suck or isn't hectic but dealing with stress is a skill one needs in modern society.

Try a gym or hobby. Or catch up on your favorite tv shows via dvr. Or better yet volunteer or get a part time job that you really like.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:35 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,837,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Many would argue having a few drinks after work isn't a good idea either. It's chemical/artificial relief to stress much of which is probably self inflicted. Not saying a job can't suck or isn't hectic but dealing with stress is a skill one needs in modern society.
Yeah it's not good. It's unhealthy and if a person does it daily they can develop alcohol dependence. However, they aren't going to go to jail for it unless they get behind the wheel and very few people would argue that they should.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:36 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,131,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post

Try a gym or hobby. Or catch up on your favorite tv shows via dvr. Or better yet volunteer or get a part time job that you really like.
Other than Gym and a 2nd job, those other hobbies go well with a beer.

Also I don’t mean everyday after work. Just at the end of the week.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:47 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,657,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Because I can't smell your beer.
Really? You must not been around people that drink a lot! I have smelled booze on people many times, its not as offensive as dirty marijuana smoke, but its definitely noticeable.

Old 03-12-2020, 10:05 AM

14,009 posts, read 5,664,056 times
Why do you care what is socially acceptable? If you want to smoke weed, then smoke it. Have a great time.

??? Don't really understand why anyone cares?

Old 03-12-2020, 10:16 AM

30,355 posts, read 23,822,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Really? You must not been around people that drink a lot! I have smelled booze on people many times, its not as offensive as dirty marijuana smoke, but its definitely noticeable.
He's not talking about party hounds, he's talking about people who have "a few beers" to "wind down".

Further, if you're drinking like a fish in your own home, and I'm in my home, I don't smell your beer. But if you smoke a joint and you're my apartment neighbor, I am stuck smelling the stench of marijuana whether I interact with you or not.

My statement stands.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Why do you care what is socially acceptable? If you want to smoke weed, then smoke it. Have a great time.

??? Don't really understand why anyone cares?

The police care and employers care. They care because Republicans care.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:48 PM

8,808 posts, read 10,266,906 times
Because Cigars are cooler.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Because Cigars are cooler.
I'd love to smoke a cigar if it wouldn't cause me to go buy a pack of cigarettes. As a former pack-a-day smoker, I can't even touch nicotine. Love cigars though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies