Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2021, 02:13 PM

24,647 posts, read 9,472,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
You serious? Remember Prohibition? That was the Christian's doing. And they'd do it again if they could.
Yes I’m serious, America is full of Bible thumpers

Quote:
In 2019, Christians represent 65% of the total adult population, 43% identifying as Protestants, 20% as Catholics, and 2% as Mormons. People with no formal religious identity at 26% of the total population.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reli..._United_States

Get rid of religion and marijuana gets legalized tomorrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 05:59 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
For me personally it is socially unacceptable because it stinks and directly impacts those around you. Just like smoking cigarettes is socially unacceptable.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:04 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The alcohol is probably more unhealthy (if only for the pounds), makes a person intoxicated, and is more addictive yet it's considered normal. If a person goes home and lights up a joint they are considered a deadbeat drag on society and in most states, a criminal who belongs behind bars. You might even go out with your coworkers for beers after work, but if you ask if they want to smoke a joint you'll lose your job and good luck finding another one thanks to pre-employment drug screening. Alcohol typically makes people more aggressive and to certain people, more prone to anger and violence. Weed typically mellows people out and just makes them laugh. Even if you use marijuana for medicinal reasons, you have to keep it on the down-low because conservative society says it's just an excuse for potheads to smoke pot. Yet, the same people wouldn't bat an eye at people popping Oxycontin all day long.

Why is drinking a few beers after work to wind down the day socially acceptable but smoking a joint isn't?
Because smoking a joint is still illegal. Simple as that. Vote for candidates that will change the stupid laws banning ganja.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:05 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
For me personally it is socially unacceptable because it stinks and directly impacts those around you. Just like smoking cigarettes is socially unacceptable.
Since when was smoking socially unacceptable? People smoke every day . Nobody looks sideways at the person buying a pack of smokes from 7-11

Old 03-23-2021, 06:06 PM

16,419 posts, read 8,233,962 times
I think smoking is just frowned upon in general. The stench of it affects others, a drink doesn't unless you get wasted and are falling all over the place. But I see no big deal if someone goes home and smokes in their house or car. Who cares what other people think is acceptable. And yes there's just simply more places where it's legal to go and get a drink.

Old 03-23-2021, 06:21 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Well true, but the reason that it's illegal is because it's so socially unacceptable though. It's seen as a threat to the moral fabric of our society.

And even in legal states, marijuana consumers are essentially unemployable because most employers still go by the federal policy. Some states such as Nevada are starting to take steps to change this.

Alcohol is also "a threat to the moral fabric of our society," but we decided to make it mostly legal in most places and at certain times because prohibition was unpopular and unmanageable.

This doesn't mean that everything that makes individuals behave just as irrationally and irresponsibly as alcohol ought to be made legal because...well, alcohol!

In fact, there is no street drug that cannot be substituted for marijuana when the argument is, "Since alcohol is legal, ____________________ ought to be legal too."

Old 03-23-2021, 08:08 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPeople View Post
Fat Bob,

What business is it of anyone what do I smoke or not on my back porch? Worked my whole life to have my own house and now the Bible thumpers and Trumpsters are plotting to send me to prison

As far as I'm concerned, it's not anyone's business.

Unless you're my neighbor and the smoke is wafting over to my house.

Or your my employee that fails a drug test after a serious accident at work.

Other than that......

Smoke yourself stupid for all I care.

And I'm not a "Bible thumper".

In fact, I'm an ex stoner.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Alcohol is a drug. There is no "more of a drug" nonsense. A person can be rendered totally incapacitated consuming alcohol.

You can have a few drags of a joint and not get high.

I only smoke in a social setting. Many do. In fact, passing the joint around a circle of friends is the traditional way to socialize in many older cultures.

Furthermore, The original premise of the banning of weed was racist.

"Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men" - Harry Anslinger

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the U.S., and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others." - Harry Anslinger, 1st head of the Federal Narcotics Bureau.

Anslinger was instrumental in the banning of the substance. He considered it one of his brightest accomplishments... all rooted in his racist views. He was backed politically by the cotton industry because hemp itself was a competing product. Before its banning a large portion of this country's textiles were hemp based.

There are many quotes from him that are similar line of thought.

It was a ban that was later contested. The very commission created by the POTUS of that time found that weed is no more impactful to society as alcohol. They recommended that it be legalized. The POTUS of that time, for selfish and political reasons, ignored the very commission he created and placed it on the Sched 1 controlled substances. This prevented any further privately funded research.

Your views are purely coming from "It is illegal therefore it must be bad and dangerous" perspective that is completely false.

Finally, as people already posted... what gives the right of government to say what I cannot consume on my own property.

As far as alcohol being a drug.....

Of course it is.

I didn't say it wasn't.

I'm talking about public perception.

And as far as being able to have a few drags off a joint and not get high......

ROFLMAO.

BS.

Especially with today's designer weed.

Maybe if you're growing your own in your back yard with seeds from 1976.

Lolz.

But these days, if you're paying for weed that won't get you high in a few drags.....

You're getting ripped off kid.

(Social setting or not is irrelevant, that has no effect whatsoever on TCH levels just like drinking alone or with a group doesn't change your BAC)

And "my views" are coming from the perspective of an ex stoner.

You can't bull**** a bull****ter.

The rest of your post is irrelevant pablum.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:18 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,961,831 times
Quote:
The alcohol is probably more unhealthy (if only for the pounds), makes a person intoxicated, and is more addictive yet it's considered normal. If a person goes home and lights up a joint they are considered a deadbeat drag on society and in most states, a criminal who belongs behind bars. You might even go out with your coworkers for beers after work, but if you ask if they want to smoke a joint you'll lose your job and good luck finding another one thanks to pre-employment drug screening. Alcohol typically makes people more aggressive and to certain people, more prone to anger and violence. Weed typically mellows people out and just makes them laugh. Even if you use marijuana for medicinal reasons, you have to keep it on the down-low because conservative society says it's just an excuse for potheads to smoke pot. Yet, the same people wouldn't bat an eye at people popping Oxycontin all day long.

Why is drinking a few beers after work to wind down the day socially acceptable but smoking a joint isn't?
Alcohol is really not that strong. The vast majority of people who drink dont cause any problems. Its like cigarettes/cigars. I dont know anything about Mary Jane though. If its also not that strong, then I dont see anything wrong with it.

Old 03-23-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Because America is a "christian nation."

B-whacky, is that you?

ROFLMAO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies