Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2021, 03:05 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,990,828 times

Advertisements

drinking or smoking doobs every day isn't good period. It should be limited to just the weekends IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2021, 03:15 PM

24 posts, read 9,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I don't care what any adult person chooses to do, as long as you do not get behind the wheel of your car high or drunk.

One reason people are leery of legalizing pot is because of the detrimental effects it has on the minds of growing children.
I was against recreational pot until I checked how many people have been and still are, being jailed at taxpayers expense and the user's detriment, so I decided that legalization was the lesser of the 2 evils, more wrong way drivers and kids eating a pot gummy.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:57 PM

1,665 posts, read 976,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
That's a good piece on testing and detection. Still looking for intoxication effects. One of the big issues/abuses now is alot of pot smokers caught driving impaired like to claim they smoked over 4 hours earlier and those pesky test will still detect it 30 days later.

As noted fat cells play a role meaning they are constantly leaching what ever substance, The question by the time thc has sat in a fat cell for a few days when it comes back into the body would it have any effects at all. They say .08 is too drunk to drive so what is the standard for being impaired with pot?
It depends on the nanogram levels. Here's a page that would probably be what you're after. I hope this helps...

https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/test-...erpretive/8898

Old 04-03-2021, 04:48 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,975,933 times
Personally, if I don't have to be around it, I don't care. But now it's socially acceptable to smoke pot in public here in CA and I hate secondhand pot smoke even more than cigarette smoke. As pot becomes socially acceptable, pot smokers become inconsiderate of what their smoke does to others.

Old 04-03-2021, 04:56 PM

9,895 posts, read 4,656,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Personally, if I don't have to be around it, I don't care. But now it's socially acceptable to smoke pot in public here in CA and I hate secondhand pot smoke even more than cigarette smoke. As pot becomes socially acceptable, pot smokers become inconsiderate of what their smoke does to others.
That's the thing we so much progress with second hand smoke and smokers all to be spoiled by some potheads that want a buzz. Hope these communities keep up after with anti smoking regulations. A lot of landlords don't want smokers anymore because the related issues. Then they say well we have edibles which many users and experts don't like because the high is different and slower which can cause increased usage.

And legal does not mean safe but that's how it was sold by focusing on the legality, rights, choice etc. And that's how users are going to play it.

Old 04-03-2021, 06:30 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
They want to rationalize and validate their chosen habit. The pot lobby successfully conflated and emphasized the civil rights aspect of pot. But being a right/legal does not mean it's safe. Alkies are the sameway they're always trying rationalize and seek validation for their habit.
Lots of that going on here. The pot lobby is already worse than the tobacco lobby ever was.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 04-03-2021, 06:33 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
I tried pot briefly 50-odd years ago, and it never agreed with me.
I have no objections to anyone who wants to smoke it responsibly though, just as I don't object to drinking responsibly.

Let pot smokers join the tobacco smokers wherever they are and whatever the restrictions are.

I did smoke lots and lots of tobacco, but no more, just like no pot. As long as I don't have to live in the smoke any more, I have no probs at all with smokers doing their thing anywhere it won't bother me or others. A faint whiff of smoke isn't going to harm me or almost all of us very much, if at all. So smokers don't need to be so isolated as they are forced to be in some places.

I believe that if you want to be extremely restrictive with smoking, it is better to not permit it at all on the premises and let it go at that.

I'm not much disposed to tell anyone else what they should do or not, so I've never liked any restrictive laws, and I feel pot is just the same as alcohol. If one can partake of one, they should be able to partake of the other.

if someone disagrees with that, I'm OK with disagreement as long as I'm not forced to accept it. I'll make my own choice, thanks.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:56 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The alcohol is probably more unhealthy (if only for the pounds), makes a person intoxicated, and is more addictive yet it's considered normal. If a person goes home and lights up a joint they are considered a deadbeat drag on society and in most states, a criminal who belongs behind bars. You might even go out with your coworkers for beers after work, but if you ask if they want to smoke a joint you'll lose your job and good luck finding another one thanks to pre-employment drug screening. Alcohol typically makes people more aggressive and to certain people, more prone to anger and violence. Weed typically mellows people out and just makes them laugh. Even if you use marijuana for medicinal reasons, you have to keep it on the down-low because conservative society says it's just an excuse for potheads to smoke pot. Yet, the same people wouldn't bat an eye at people popping Oxycontin all day long.

Why is drinking a few beers after work to wind down the day socially acceptable but smoking a joint isn't?
Because of who it's associated with. Beer is associated with "Joe Six Pack", "Joe Hard Hat". Marijuana is considered something "losers" and "do-nothings" do. It was associated with Blacks back in the 1920s, and therefore, it was hated. It was associated with hippies in the 1960s, and was hated for that reason. In the 1990s, it was associated with "slackers".

I see far more decadence and violence with beer than with marijuana. However, it's about WHO rather than WHAT.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:22 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Legalize it, regulate it and tax it. And let people make their choices. If they abuse it or cause harm, deal with it like we do with alcohol. I see zero sense in one being legal and not the other.

Old 04-04-2021, 07:27 AM

1,665 posts, read 976,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Because of who it's associated with. Beer is associated with "Joe Six Pack", "Joe Hard Hat". Marijuana is considered something "losers" and "do-nothings" do. It was associated with Blacks back in the 1920s, and therefore, it was hated. It was associated with hippies in the 1960s, and was hated for that reason. In the 1990s, it was associated with "slackers".

I see far more decadence and violence with beer than with marijuana. However, it's about WHO rather than WHAT.

Ding ding!!! Winner here!

Marijuana was deemed illegal due to racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies