Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 05:59 AM

1,329 posts, read 835,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The average European woman has 1.6 kids, US is 1.8, and Europe's is falling faster than the US overall. Switzerland is 1.5. Italy, Spain, Germany, are even lower. Sweden is 1.85, the only County I looked at that was higher than the US currently.

This is a sign of social progress. As societies secure economic security and rights for women, they tend to have fewer children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
How would you go about legislating happiness in the US. Scandinavia has a collectivist culture while the US is very individualistic. Janteloven is where one supports the collective and doesn’t boast about individual accomplishments, meanwhile in the US people can’t stop posting about their extravagant lives on social media. I bet you there would be a lot more happy people if they stopped using social media and stopped comparing themselves to the Jones’. If people started to focus on what they have instead of what they don’t have, they may be more happy. Again, I don’t know how they collect this happiness data and don’t know the details of the survey.

This is an interesting read on suicide rates across the world.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...te-by-country/

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/what-ex...is-janteloven/

Scandinavia is no more "collectivist" than the US, though people do exhibit more social responsibility.

Janteloven is sort of a humorous take on Lutheran pietistic values. You find similar attitudes in any Lutheran congregation in the US.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:05 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,399,813 times
We can also look at Germany and other large countries, which provide much the same as far as an advanced social safety net, which not only helps those individuals, but also provide a better society and situation for all of us in the form of lower poverty, lower crime and higher levels of social interaction and health.

These countries most certainly have high levels of technological innovation and are highly advanced - much more so than the USA. Anyone who has ever traveled the world or is able to read can obviously see the difference and understand that we're falling behind by the year.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,801,872 times
And just like that, the US conservatives suddenly see the Nordic model for what it actually is, as opposed to 'slippery slope to communism'. Sanders didn't get far, but that is an accomplishment in itself.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:09 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,399,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
How would you go about legislating happiness in the US. Scandinavia has a collectivist culture while the US is very individualistic. Janteloven is where one supports the collective and doesn’t boast about individual accomplishments, meanwhile in the US people can’t stop posting about their extravagant lives on social media. I bet you there would be a lot more happy people if they stopped using social media and stopped comparing themselves to the Jones’. If people started to focus on what they have instead of what they don’t have, they may be more happy. Again, I don’t know how they collect this happiness data and don’t know the details of the survey.

This is an interesting read on suicide rates across the world.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/cou...te-by-country/

https://www.lifeinnorway.net/what-ex...is-janteloven/
You also see the value of Janteloven in more socially educationally advanced areas and groups of people in the US such as Vermont or Colorado, where living well is more important than living large. With it comes a sense of thrift and conservation vs the mainstream American values of waste and consumption, which is prevalent among the more ignorant.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
You also see the value of Janteloven in more socially educationally advanced areas and groups of people in the US such as Vermont or Colorado, where living well is more important than living large. With it comes a sense of thrift and conservation vs the mainstream American values of waste and consumption, which is prevalent among the more ignorant.

Those attitudes do exist in the US, especially in parts of the north and midwest where there were alot of German and Scandinavian immigrants.

And some of those types can be socially conservative, but it's a different character than the sort of thing you see in the southern Bible belt.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:04 AM

13,684 posts, read 20,841,479 times
I think the American obsession with Scandinavia is bizarre and getting more so by the day.

The Scandinavian countries and America are more or less the same. Yes, the same.

Democratic, Free Market, and known for extensive Social Welfare states. Yes, the USA has a social welfare state. Anyone who does not know that is either daft or feigning ignorance.

Scandinavia's is marginally more generous, but they pay more in taxes and are cool with it. The vast majority of Americans, including liberals, would balk at that. There it is.

We have some cultural differences. Scandinavia is clearly more skewed towards collective harmony while America revels in rugged individualism. Neither is wrong, just different.

And finally, yes I have been to Scandinavia. Wonderful countries, great peoples. But far from utopia. I witnessed crime, poverty, racism, and a level of alcoholism that would make Mel Gibson blush.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think the American obsession with Scandinavia is bizarre and getting more so by the day.

The Scandinavian countries and America are more or less the same. Yes, the same.

Democratic, Free Market, and known for extensive Social Welfare states. Yes, the USA has a social welfare state. Anyone who does not know that is either daft or feigning ignorance.

Scandinavia's is marginally more generous, but they pay more in taxes and are cool with it. The vast majority of Americans, including liberals, would balk at that. There it is.

We have some cultural differences. Scandinavia is clearly more skewed towards collective harmony while America revels in rugged individualism. Neither is wrong, just different.

And finally, yes I have been to Scandinavia. Wonderful countries, great peoples. But far from utopia. I witnessed crime, poverty, racism, and a level of alcoholism that would make Mel Gibson blush.

The US's social welfare is more patchy and dysfunctional.

I know Finland has some progressive social policies, even more than Sweden. They seem more willing to consider new ideas and are not limited by social tradition.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:44 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,228,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
This is true. I like the ideals of Janteloven myself. I live very frugally and like the sense of a cohesive community. I also understand that there are many other people in this country that don’t share similar viewpoints as I. That is the reason I was explaining the differences between the countries and why certain policies are more easily sold in those countries. I know there are places in the US that have these ideals, they are typically wealthy and highly educated areas.

Old 03-05-2020, 07:45 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,276,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Why does a "homogeneous" population matter?
They don’t have any actual data or studies to back that talking point up, it’s just what Fox News and talk radio keeps repeating to them. It SOUNDS like it makes sense, so they keep repeating the zombie talking point without questioning it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies