Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 09:08 PM

27,664 posts, read 16,151,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Trump and Trump supporters appear to have a near universal contempt for and lack of understanding of the value of institutional knowledge. They think institutional knowledge is "the deep state".
How does Dr. Redfield not meet your standards of "institutional knowlege"?

Old 03-12-2020, 09:10 PM

2,400 posts, read 755,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I blame the messaging from the White House for convincing my 86 yo mother to commit what I consider to be an act of lunacy.

Today she boarded a 4 hour flight across the US when the alternative was to take a ride in a private car driven my brother.

She said she would be fine and all of this is over blown.

Meanwhile...

All domestic flights and ferry traffic has been halted in and out of Manila as of March 15th.

I fly out of Cebu March 18th and worry the halt will be extended to all islands shortly.

Unlike the US, the Philippines has a chance to completely isolate much of the population since the virus can't swim. It does require halting all flights and ferry traffic between islands.

But it may not do much good..since long term the virus will likely be endemic and eventually reach everywhere.
Really? You’re going to blame Trump? I think your 86 year old mother has a mind of her own and a lifetime of experience to draw upon.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:12 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Really? You’re going to blame Trump? I think your 86 year old mother has a mind of her own and a lifetime of experience to draw upon.
My MIL, an avid Fox News watcher, who has COPD is parroting all of Trump's talking points: it's not big deal, the flu is more dangerous, the media is blowing this up, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-12-2020, 09:13 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
in the end, it's just another flu with mild symptoms for most people.

big whoop.

The people who die by covid would have died by the common flu as well.

let everyone have it. We'll have some immunity afterwards.

There's no need to put people out of business and wreck the world economy over this
Oh, you are sooooo uninformed.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:15 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,502,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
I'm just at a loss reading that....should he not be immediately removed from office? How many Americans are going to die because he wanted to protect his re-election chances?
I heard/read days ago that Trump was discouraging testing because it would hurt his reelection chances if the numbers were too high. Kinda surprised this is only being discussed now. Decided there was no discussion because everyone just chalked it up to Trump being Trump - as always it is always about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I blame the messaging from the White House for convincing my 86 yo mother to commit what I consider to be an act of lunacy.

Today she boarded a 4 hour flight across the US when the alternative was to take a ride in a private car driven my brother.

She said she would be fine and all of this is over blown.
Too bad, the horse has left the barn, so to speak. Otherwise, I would suggest you remind her that Italy, because of lack of space/ventilators/personnel, is triaging the elderly out of care because the younger have a better chance of survival. The cutoff age is about 65. This, too, is not new news. In other words, if you're old you're left to die. Your mom is certainly in the age cohort.

Sad story, here - note #5 and #6:

https://threader.app/thread/1237142891077697538

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...rly-death-toll

Old 03-12-2020, 09:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The Administration appointed Robert Redfield head of the CDC in March 2018. This at the time:

"The Center for Science in the Public Interest released a statement urging the administration against naming him to the post, claiming a lack of experience in leading a public health agency, a history of scientific misconduct and support for HIV/AIDS policies that are opposed by most public health experts."

"What one wants in a director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a scientist of impeccable scientific integrity. What one would get in Robert Redfield is a sloppy scientist with a long history of scientific misconduct and an extreme religious agenda," Peter Lurie, the center's director and president, said in a statement.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/healt...-bn/index.html

Trump surrounds himself with incompetents. And he is the worst. Why that was not obvious to anyone with common sense is beyond me. We are now paying the price.
I DK anything about Redfield beyond he obviously feels obligated to gush about Trump at press briefings before all else. This kind of crap, to this extent, is without precedent.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:27 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
And now Alaska has it. I work as a remote wilderness optician in Alaska and I am concerned about what my employer's plan of action will be. His employees are from the lower 48 and when we come to the Native villages to provide eye care to them which is the necessary means that we offer our services since travel to cities is prohibitively expensive, we may unknowingly expose them.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2020...se-identified/

Old 03-12-2020, 09:28 PM

21,483 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Biden claimed the virus came from Greenland, so how much help would he have been 2 months ago?
Exactly! All these geniuses who would have done so much better than Trump and claiming their candidate will when they gave us freaking Joe Biden for a choice. No thanks.

Old 03-12-2020, 09:28 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,267,497 times
If this is true...
Trump intentionally suppressed testing for political gain.
https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/sta...28109821800448

Old 03-12-2020, 09:30 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,803,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The Administration appointed Robert Redfield head of the CDC in March 2018. This at the time:

"The Center for Science in the Public Interest released a statement urging the administration against naming him to the post, claiming a lack of experience in leading a public health agency, a history of scientific misconduct and support for HIV/AIDS policies that are opposed by most public health experts."

"What one wants in a director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a scientist of impeccable scientific integrity. What one would get in Robert Redfield is a sloppy scientist with a long history of scientific misconduct and an extreme religious agenda," Peter Lurie, the center's director and president, said in a statement.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/21/healt...-bn/index.html

Trump surrounds himself with incompetents. And he is the worst. Why that was not obvious to anyone with common sense is beyond me. We are now paying the price.
I watched part of the hearing where he was being asked why he insists American's pay for testing instead of making it free.

It is unfortunately credible that Trump was intentionally making testing difficult to prevent Trump from looking bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies